• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Gravel Ideas for Around Austin?

Reaction score
So, now that I have my gravel-compliant motorcycle in good working condition, I am again looking for ideas of where to take it.

I know that Llano and Mason county have a ton of gravel(/sand, etc.) county roads, but it's two hours from my place in Cedar Park before you get there.

What I'm hoping to find is some place or point of interest which is worth going to see, that is accessible via primarily public/open gravel roads, ideally with less than an hour's worth of paved road trip from NW Austin suburbs before getting on the gravel. Like, I remember a decade or so ago Reimer's Ranch required some miles of gravel road to get there. Or, Muleshoe Bend has gravel roads through the park (not talking about the MTB trails...). Maybe there's something like these places but with more gravel involved?

Could be a COE lake with gravel service roads running around it, maybe some national forest with a bunch of gravel roads to access it, who knows? But I'm hoping to find something with like an hour's worth of gravel riding that starts and ends an hour or less from Cedar Park. And FWIW, I'm not talking about trails or dirt bike riding. I'm going to be taking a street bike with 80/20 tires on this.

I know this is a shot in the dark. But I thought some of you might have found something like this.

NONE AROUND HERE. SOME BY THORNDALE AROUND THE OLD ALCOA PLANT. WINDMILL CAN PROBABLY SHOW YOU THOSE.

Your problem is you have to travel an hour to get to gravel any which way you go
There's a lot of gravel out around Thorndale, Cameron and here on the west side of Lake Somerville but like I said you're in for an hours ride to get here

Some gravel up around Lampasas Lometa area....with some good paved goatpaths gettn there.
Generally...east of 281 is mostly paved with some gravel north of Lamp
West of 281 is more gravelly north & toward Lometa & Moline. A bit of gravel in south Coryell too + a bit in Bell

Last edited:
Your problem is you have to travel an hour to get to gravel any which way you go
There's a lot of gravel out around Thorndale, Cameron and here on the west side of Lake Somerville but like I said you're in for an hours ride to get here

An hour's ride is fine. I just don't know those areas. So lay it on me!

Last edited:
Back