• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

H-Ds new ad campaign?

The poser look probably sells more bikes, but I think any motorcycle commercial should show riders wearing at least a minimal amount of protective gear, not a T-shirt and a Nazi helmet. :rolleyes:

i like the nightster just dont care about the bad *** biker style... LOL just want to ride!

None of the above.

XL1200R, please, with a little wind protection and bags, maybe a solo seat and backrest, in Vivid Red, if you please.

Ok how about barelly legal XR750?:rider: :eek2:

72%20XR750%20chubby%20armour.jpg

Re: I've Had It......

I like the Motor Company. I like their bikes. I'd like to show up at a HOG ride on a Zongshen Storm V250. :rofl:

The "dark" bikes are very nice, but my favorite new HDI ride is the Buell 1125R.

That's like having an entire hamburger...bun and all.....and putting it on another bun...

I actually remember some little resturant chain trying something crazy and gimicky like that, a burger with an extra bun. I think the sandwich was called a "Big Mac". :)

Best,
Tom

I guess I'll be a bit different here. I absolutely loathe Harleys. The only Harley I would consider owning is the Nighttrain, and that is purely for cosmetics. As for the rest of them, I'll pass. Not only do I believe deep in my heart that Harley builds sub standard machines, I also believe that they have a public immage that I don't want anything to do with. All that said, I think I'll stick with the old man, DQ cruiser label that comes with my wing. At least its a clean and respectable immage on a time proven reliable machine.

I guess I'll be a bit different here. I absolutely loathe Harleys. The only Harley I would consider owning is the Nighttrain, and that is purely for cosmetics. As for the rest of them, I'll pass. Not only do I believe deep in my heart that Harley builds sub standard machines, I also believe that they have a public immage that I don't want anything to do with. All that said, I think I'll stick with the old man, DQ cruiser label that comes with my wing. At least its a clean and respectable immage on a time proven reliable machine.

Lessee, if you try real hard, Honda has been refining the GL formula since 1975. That makes it time tested, right? Although you could argue that the six cylinder is a new motor, not an extension of the original flat four.

But somehow, a motor design that has evolved since the 1920's is substandard? I don't understand that.

The dominant image of Harley owners is RUBbies playing bad boy dress up for the weekend. Not exactly great, but not exactly Sonny Barger either.

I can't recall Harley having to weld or replace frames lately either...we won't even bring up the traditional Honda regulator stuff.

And before you whip out the "Honda hater" label, I have a 1977 GL1000 awaiting restoration. It was the first multicylinder bike I ever rode.

Re: I've Had It......

They are outta their collective minds. They are way behind the curve on this one (Crossbones). This bike is a joke. It is a softail with sprung seat....***? Thats like having an entire hamburger...bun and all.....and putting it on another bun...

And with a springer front end, too! I bet piloting that bike is like riding in a '73 Ford LTD with worn-out shocks!

They'll sell a zillion of them, though. Especially the uber-retro ones. Function is not a concern for many H-D riders:

012108bottom.jpg

I dig the nightster, the street bobber, and the night train. I think the night train has been around for a while though. I wouldn't kick it out of the garage.

Before riding an motorcycle was all the rage way before American Chopper. I looked at a sportster 883 and wanted a mother of pearl paint. A standard color out of the catalog. He told me that he could order the color, but it would be 2K extra and that he could get me out of the door for about 10K. I asked him if he knew that that the MSRP was 7K? He said good luck finding one for that price. I replied "good luck on getting me to buy one" and headed for the door.

I bought a used dirt bike a few weeks later instead. :rider: I have been craving something for the street again for a while now. Pretty sure it will not be a cruiser.

l yup all about image. I guess that makes me either the coolest or most
l shallow person on the board (or the meanest *** here) Guess its all perception
l Harley has come a very long way since the AMF days. From the Evo and TC 80 on the
l motors have been been very reliable and run pretty well. Try one out, you
l might be surprised. I'm not trying to bash on you just asking "Can't we all
l just get along?" I started on a Honda and then bought my Harley. But then
l Ive never met a bike I didnt like. A few riders I could do without, but thats
l neither here nor there. All 3 of our H-Ds have held up well. If its not your
l thing, thats cool. I didnt buy for image, I bought for miles of smiles (and
l loud pipes:trust: ):rider: :rider: :rider: :rider: :rider:
V

Yes, they are reliable just like my Astro Minivan (160k). :yawn:

The ad looks good. I think Harley is like Madonna and Microsoft, they do know marketing and advertising.

I wonder if they have untied Willie G. and let him out of the closet yet? :lol2:

012108bottom.jpg

The Nightster rocks, and this... well, it missed the mark.

If this works, here is a pic of my Crossbones. 1976 FXE Shovelhead. There are two more Harleys in the garage. Yep, I like Harleys.

I like Hondas too. In Argentina and the wife and I are riding Transalps.

Attachments

• threebikes.jpg
    threebikes.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 65
Like it has already been said, HD will have to start marketing to the younger crowd or they are out of business. Just like 2 story houses, baggers will be a dime a dozen when the boomers go from,baggers to scooters. The boomers were behind the HD resurgence in the 80's and 90's. All my buddies my age have said they have bought their last Harley. Maybe, maybe not but who knows for sure? T.

HD had to do something new with Victory coming out with new models each year that need less maintenance than the HD And now all the metric cruisers out there that are just as cool and half the price with all the upgrades.

HD had to do something new with Victory coming out with new models each year that need less maintenance than the HD And now all the metric cruisers out there that are just as cool and half the price with all the upgrades.
H-D's don't require any more maintenance than any other cruiser.

Show me a metric that is half the price of a comparable H-D.

Show me a metric that is half the price of a comparable H-D.

I think we all agree that metric bikes are cheaper than H-D but I have noticed that they (metrics) are starting to close the gap in two ways: 1) metrics are getting more expensive and 2) H-D (for the most part) sale at msrp. The gap between the yamakawasuzukihondas are closing and I know MANY that ride metrics simply because they cannot afford a Harley.

How much more will a cruiser oriented rider be willing to spend for an H-D? 1k, 2k, 3k, 4k more? What will make them jump from a metric to H-D?

Finally, what does "comparable" mean?
Quick ebay search reveals two 0 mile Hondas VTXs:
2k7 Honda VTX1300 for 8199 +ttl.
2k6 Hondal VTX1800 9,999.00 +ttl.

If you take the 10k price range from the H-D OTD offer I received in Allen, TX for a SpongeBob (LOL) there is about a 3.5k difference between the two bikes. I would have to seriously consider the H-D, imo.

Victories are really nice bikes! I owned a 99 Victory and really enjoyed everything but the truckish handling in parking lots. I really wish I would have kept the bike, howeverk,since it was paid off.

Problems with Victory:
1) price. They are proud of their merchandise but how many future owners look at the price and say "I could get a harley for that price!" and walk out the door? I would guess that a lot do that.

Only one problem! Like I said, Victory makes the best built American cruiser on the market. Would I own another one again? Without hesitation, yes! Great bike, unique, and always drew a crowd wherever I rode. Now that is "priceless".

kevin...

If someone gave me a Nightrod or (gasp!) a Destroyer, I'd have to make more room in the garage. Other than that, HD doesn't offer anything that "floats my boat".

Ride a motorcycle...not an image. :mrgreen:

None of the above.

XL1200R, please, with a little wind protection and bags, maybe a solo seat and backrest, in Vivid Red, if you please.

:thumb:
:pirate:
That is the platform on which you can build what you want. I would call it the UAM for the 21st century.

To each his own. There will be some that want the image and there will be those that want to ride a motorcycle. I am fortunate enough to have both. I love my new Road Glide for what it is. A slow underpowered iconic cruiser. My Yamaha FJR 1300 on the other hand is an exhilarating experience on two wheels. However, that being said there will be those that think the Yamaha is not enough.

For HD to survive they will have to change their whole image. That will not happen. They will always sell the style bikes that made them what they are today. But sell them and maintain a profitable company is another story. T.

I love my new Road Glide for what it is. A slow underpowered iconic cruiser.

I've always wanted to ride the Road Glide. I like the idea of the fixed fairing better than the Electra Glide's fork mounted unit. When the day comes for a big land yacht, I'm leaning towards the RG over the Wing. :rider:

Back