• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Harley-Davidson Pan American

Reaction score
HDMC announced their plans to build a Sport Adventure bike called the Pan American. I want to know what everyone’s thoughts are? What would expect, favorite motor size, what you want for accessories etc.....

I have a opportunity to voice my input in a upcoming phone call with the Motor Company.

Can’t wait to hear from the people of the greatest nation on earth...... Texas!

Thanks
Bryan Tynes

I can't offer much of an opinion on this bike since I've see few reviews or technical information. I would offer that the adventure market is pretty well covered with examples from BMW, KTM, Ducati, Yamaha and Honda depending on the rider's taste in brand, features and appearance. All that is to say that unless this has some exceptional performance that significantly exceeds the existing offering, then it may sell only to the brand faithful or brand curious. I will say that it continues the avant-guarde styling that plagues most ADV bikes. (The XLCH was a gorgeous motorcycle.) I like a lighter weight bike to travel on, below 1000cc, but some with more gear or riding two up will need the power.

I'm more interested in the electric bikes.

Just my $.02

m

Looks super heavy and bulky! I personally would like to see a bike somewhere between a super Enduro and a full fledged adventure style. 900-1000 class with around 100hp with true off-road capability.

You're going to be like a red-headed step child if you buy one. There's a huge prejudice against Harley's in the adventure world and Harley owners won't accept an ADV bike as one of their own either.

It'll be like going to a restaurant and asked for a Table of 1.... :-P

All they needed to do was add proper suspension and rearsets to the sportster with a 4.5 gallon tank to make this right. I hope they don't screw it up too bad.

All they needed to do was add proper suspension and rearsets to the sportster with a 4.5 gallon tank to make this right. I hope they don't screw it up too bad.
Yeah! Like this
5ab9b010e0dea6376aa62c5f18ebda50.jpg

Reactions: Vec
You're going to be like a red-headed step child if you buy one. There's a huge prejudice against Harley's in the adventure world and Harley owners won't accept an ADV bike as one of their own either.

It'll be like going to a restaurant and asked for a Table of 1.... :-P

Does that mean I have to stop riding my FXD? It is pretty entertaining to get off the ground on occasion and back into corners. I have found the prejudice to be against posers not riders.

HD should just bring Eric Buell on as head of design if they actually want to sell to the non-pirate crowd. At least Buell offered intriguing motorcycles with an HD power plant. With the current offerings in the adventure market, is this the best they can do? Their first attempt at an “Adventure Bike” isn’t even close to anything I’d consider spending money on...

Remember

If we can't say anything nice , we can't say anything at all.

Well that just killed the thread :-P

All in good fun. Although I rarely admit it I have some very good friends I ride with that have Harleys. Oh, I and take my fair share of s**t from them too.

Back on topic. Remember this is the first rendering we've seen of the bike and I sure with Harley's resources they'll have bright people on board who know the market. After all, they brought Porsche in for the V-Rod and that was sweet motor. Pity The couldn't help themselves and screwed it up with a chopper rake on the front.

Hmmm... I think I just contradicted myself :doh:

Well that just killed the thread :-P

All in good fun. Although I rarely admit it I have some very good friends I ride with that have Harleys. Oh, I and take my fair share of s**t from them too.

Back on topic. Remember this is the first rendering we've seen of the bike and I sure with Harley's resources they'll have bright people on board who know the market. After all, they brought Porsche in for the V-Rod and that was sweet motor. Pity The couldn't help themselves and screwed it up with a chopper rake on the front.

Hmmm... I think I just contradicted myself :doh:

There is the key. Just hope they don't screw up anything that can't be made to work with bolt on parts. The V-rod chassis geometry was a huge issue for me. They missed the mark with the new FXR also with the rake and stupid fat tire.

I love Harleys, but if they want to get into dual sport market, start with a light 400cc bike then develop a 1000cc from it. How bout a parallel twin water cooled or maybe a single to begin with. I personally don't think they can use current models and reconfigure, even with a new frame. Indian is slipping up on maybe a Dual Sport starting with this FTR1200S that you can buy now and convert to high exhaust pipes.that is similar to their flat track 750 racer. Harley has a good looking 750 flat track water cooled, Even with low pipes, reviews say heat off motor from Indian. Most riders won't buy a hot bike237083

Last edited:
Showroom model for sale now. Get that ugly Cadilac converter off and it looks lean to me. Harley, do a shaft model.model.

WHY would you put turn signals in hand guards on a bike that has a high possibility of landing ON the hand guards!? :doh: To me, that just screams Starbucks Cruiser that is not meant to ever actually leave the pavement :shrug: Also, the front end is horrendous... :puke: The tank looks alarmingly small in terms of capacity, just to make that straight line design element work (which I also don't care for).

Looks like its out of Mad Max. I didn't like square headlight look even in the 80's and 90's. Do something like this bike you can buy now and maybe water cooled V-Twin

Back