• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HD ENVY?

Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Last Name
D'Addario
I am starting to get the feeling there is a disease that has a profound effect on the Metric Cruiser, Touring bike classes called HD ENVY. I myself ride a Suzuki M90 cruiser and don't get it. I belong to a few sites and many of these guys spend as much time degrading the HD bikes as anything else. I believe I have a touch of it also as I look at my Suzuki and think wow in that bike was a Harley I would have to pay $14,000.00 for it. Then many go into the attitude of HD riders. Yes there are some dumb ***** but there are dumb ***** that ride every type of bike. In fact this weekend when I couldn't find the correct tie downs for my Saddle bags and my bungee rig was failing guess who came to the rescue to help me. Three Harley riders who offered me about 40.00 worth of bungee cords and nets (these were high end products unlike my Walmart specials). Since we were all heading to the same place (The Boo Benefit in Jefferson) I told them I would buy some and meet up with them to give them back. The response was no problem just keep them and by the way the girl in the car owns a Biker Bar in downtown McKinney you guys should come by and hang out. Same response at the place we stayed in which 10 of 12 bikes were Harley's and everyone there told me how nice my bike was and invited us to go riding with them and keep in touch. Wow this came out longer than I thought. Now that I have taken my medicine I am looking for the confidence to post this rant on the particular forum and going to wait to be flamed just for fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good post, and you are right about "jackwads" (whatever that means :ponder:) in all types of riding groups. I used to ride a Suzuki 1500LC before getting my Harley. I participated in a bike specific forum and the insults flew on a regular basis. Then a funny thing happened. Lots of the forum long time members started getting Harley's and Goldwings and various ST bikes. Then the forum kind of morphed into an all brand riding forum. Bottom line is that as riders mature they realize it's not the bike, it's the ride. Just ride whatever you have and enjoy it. Share the experience with other riders. IT's all good! :rider:

Good post, and you are right about "jackwads" (whatever that means :ponder:) ...

That would be someone that hasn't achieved Jackwagon status yet.

Yep seen it in all monikers. Had riders muttering things about my beemer, had some make fun of my wing. Even had some chick on the back of a harley look at my wing tell me I might as well brought my car.

Had more than the number of neg comments from riders of other brands complement my ride though. The negative ones just seem to stick in our minds more.

Good people happen on all kinds of bikes. :thumb: Glad you got your stuff strapped on well and had a great weekend! Think we'll be able to see the fireworks all the way from over here after you post? :lol2:

Most motorcyclists are good people. If you are on the side of the road with a problem you can bet that it will be a biker who stops to see if you need help. On the other hand there are some who embrace the "outlaw biker" image and live it to the hilt. Many follow a creedo of "if it ain't a Harley it ain't a real bike", or something like that. To each his own. I ride both a HD Road King and a Honda NT700V and have noticed that there is sometimes a difference in how I'm treated depending on which one I'm riding. All I can say is that HD has done a great job in creating brand allegiance.

Storm

It's something so gross and offensive by TWT standards that I'm actually pretty shocked that the filter didn't catch and censor it.

:eek:

I am too. Never reread the post. I am, going back to change it. There done.

I've seen some good-natured ribbing, and some foul-natured insults on both sides of the coin. What I hate is the whole loud pipes thing. Highly annoying, and detrimental to the public opinion of all motorcycles.

Show up at a dualsport meet 500 miles from home on a TW200. You'll find out what persona non grata really means.

For me, the turn off is the Moco. I'd love to own another Harley touring bike, but I'd buy used to avoid the dealership and go independent for any service needs I couldn't handle. You wouldn't catch me at a pirate rally, but then again I don't attend the BMW specific events either for some of the same reasons.

True bikers love all bikes, not just something because of the brand.

Show up at a dualsport meet 500 miles from home on a TW200. You'll find out what persona non grata really means.

I got a buddy that stayed in Hunt, rode TX39, 187 and the three sisters all in one day on a Kymco People onefiddy. :rider:

For me, the turn off is the Moco. I'd love to own another Harley touring bike, but I'd buy used to avoid the dealership and go independent for any service needs I couldn't handle. You wouldn't catch me at a pirate rally, but then again I don't attend the BMW specific events either for some of the same reasons.

You have described me. Except I did buy mine new.

Most motorcyclists are good people. If you are on the side of the road with a problem you can bet that it will be a biker who stops to see if you need help. On the other hand there are some who embrace the "outlaw biker" image and live it to the hilt. Many follow a creedo of "if it ain't a Harley it ain't a real bike", or something like that. To each his own. I ride both a HD Road King and a Honda NT700V and have noticed that there is sometimes a difference in how I'm treated depending on which one I'm riding. All I can say is that HD has done a great job in creating brand allegiance.

Storm

I have been riding for 43 years and have NEVER seen someone trash someone else or me, for what I was riding. Yes, in fun, but none serious about it. While I know/acquainted with many who "embrace the biker outlaw image" I have not see them degrade other peolpe's rides.

Sorry I just don't agree what anyone says about HD riders. There are just as many jerks on Jap & European bikes as on HDs - in my opinion, even more. Why do I say this? The bulk of the bike bashing comes from those people, not HD riders. You can prove by looking at any forum.

I've seen some good-natured ribbing, and some foul-natured insults on both sides of the coin. What I hate is the whole loud pipes thing. Highly annoying, and detrimental to the public opinion of all motorcycles.

I agree, but loud pipes are not just on HD's. They seem to be on most cruisers. It's just there are so many more HD's.

Last edited:
I agree, but loud pipes are not just on HD's. They seem to be on most cruisers. It's just there are so many more HD's.

I never said they were. You should see some of the discussions about this on the Honda Shadow forums. You'd think that the only thing keeping some people from death's door is the volume of their exhaust.:doh:

I never said they were. You should see some of the discussions about this on the Honda Shadow forums. You'd think that the only thing keeping some people from death's door is the volume of their exhaust.:doh:

I understand and would add the old adage, "loud pipes save lives" is ridiculous. When driving (ok, I don't have the best hearing), I never hear a loud bike until it is almost past my window. By the time I hear them, they are out of harms way.

But again, each to his own. Just need to be mindful of others around them.

I was taking my time coming into Leakey last Saturday on 336. I see a couple bikes show up in my mirror so I though I'd wick it up a little and get out of there way. Wasn't expecting it but as soon as entered the first straight stretch, I got startled as the lead bike went around my and first indications I had was his loud pipes as he got beside me. Wasn't sure but it looked like a boxer of some sort and didn't have a pleasant note, just loud.

Yup, loud pipes aren't just on Harleys.

Nothing can undo our stereotypes like one kind deed by a stranger.

Kudos for the guys who helped you out.

Same way with cars. There are people who act like bigots against Prius and small car owners. I had an acquintance who almost called me a fool for spending a certain amount of money on a subcompact car. There're just a lot of inadvertant bigots in the world.

Same way with cars. There are people who act like bigots against Prius and small car owners. I had an acquintance who almost called me a fool for spending a certain amount of money on a subcompact car. There're just a lot of inadvertant bigots in the world.

That's cause you live where 90% of the vehicles at a stop light are ego inflating pick-ups and Hummer type SUVs. In places like NYC and Chicago, you'd be considered a wise man. :zen:

Back