• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Heading west around the first of April. Help with sights.

Reaction score
First Name
Dennie
Last Name
Spears
Solo trip. I'm looking for beauty. Unusual things. I know about the major national parks and have been to most, some several times. I'll be riding a DRZ or a 390 Adventure so class 3 dirt is OK. Overnight backpacking up to 15 miles one way with water available or 12 miles one way without water available would be OK.

Places I have planned, but not a route
New Mexico: Taos, El Malpais, Tent Rocks, Bandelier. No help needed with New Mexico unless you have an unusual or secret place of beauty that you would like to share. I lived all over it and still have family in Carlsbad, Alb. and Taos.

Arizona: Bisbee mine, Saguara NP, Chiricahua NM, Havasu Falls, Hwy 191 is part of my route.

Nevada: Great Basin NP, lake Tahoe

California: Death Valley

What must see places or must ride roads do you know about in Southern California, Nevada or Arizona? Places of beauty, out of the way places, water flowing out of a rock, etc
1646860971213.png

Last edited:
Yeah, Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Joshua Tree for sure

AZ 191 is a must, I am betting you have rode it already. The Blue Ridge Primitive area on 191 is a great spot for a break and some killer picture post card views. Chiricahua National Monument is also pretty sweet. Paved road to it sorta boring there and back. Shows a dirt way over from NM to AZ if I remember correctly on Butler maps. In NM, City of Rocks state park would be a great location for night sky pics.

If you ride 191 and need a hotel in Clifton AZ, I can’t recommend this place enough.

100+ year old bldng, abandoned and in ruins now restored. JT and I stayed there and loved it.

plus, the town was fun to explore

Thanks, I try to stay in a motel every 5 days or so.

Arizona: Bisbee mine, Saguara NP, Chiricahua NM, Havasu Falls, Hwy 191 is part of my route.
If you continue north on 191, Canyon de Chelly is my favorite scenic place in Arizona if you haven't been before. You can ride the rim, or you can do a guided tour within the canyon if you have the time to spare. Mackenna's Gold was filmed inside the canyon in 1969. If you saw it, you'll recognize some of the footholds going up the sides of the canyons. There are some great ruins inside, but again, you have to have a Native guide. You can arrange for them in Chinle, or most likely these days do it online.

If you don't eat at the Bear Wallow in Alpine as you hit the top of Devil's Highway, then take this loop up to Eagar and eat at Trailriders. The road should be open in April. It's paved all the way. I've driven it in a cage and wished that I had been on the bike. Great road and scenery. You'll also pass Big Lake about 3/4 of the way along the route so you can detour in there for a bit as well. The area is heavily infested with antelope, deer, and elk so be cautious.

Screenshot 2022-03-10 6.16.20 AM.png

When 191 reaches Ganado, you can stop in at the Hubbell Trading Post; it's one of the oldest in AZ and is a Natl Historic Site.

Thanks TexasT I've eaten at the Bear Wallow. I was very cold and wet and they had opened up early because it was opening day of bow season. Because of previous advice from you, I've been to Canyon de Chelly 4 times, but always the south side. If I get within 100 miles, I'm going to ride the north rim. I believe it's called Canyon del Muerto. Hubbell sounds interesting. Thanks

As you know, riding the rim does give you a good view, but actually being *in* the canyon with its incredibly steep walls, and being able to approach the ruins - I don't know if they still let you inside them or not, it's been 40+ years - is pretty magical.

Goulding's Lodge in Monument Valley is an interesting place if it fits in with your once every 5 days motel stay. It's been updated, but when I was there in 79 we stayed in one of the original cabins. This is where John Wayne, John Ford and the other stars and crew stayed when filming the Westerns. I regret not taking photos of the place when we stayed there. The sunrise the following morning is a must-see with the sun coming up over the various monuments.

Excuse the quality of the photo; it was 53 years ago with a cheap Petri 35mm.

mon-valley-5_867254723_o.jpg

I know you said you don't need help with New Mexico but.... there is a very unique camp ground just north of Deming that I thought was cool, City of the Rocks. I met you in the Guadalupe Mountains at a camp ground on my way home the next night after staying there so I probably told you then. Thought it was very interesting. Not a lot of interesting riding right around there though. https://goo.gl/maps/LyhvNHX6U25nn18P6

I know you said you don't need help with New Mexico but.... there is a very unique camp ground just north of Deming that I thought was cool, City of the Rocks. I met you in the Guadalupe Mountains at a camp ground on my way home the next night after staying there so I probably told you then. Thought it was very interesting. Not a lot of interesting riding right around there though. https://goo.gl/maps/LyhvNHX6U25nn18P6
I do remember you. I have not been to the City of Rocks, but I 'm probably not going close to there on this trip. If someone takes me up on a bike transport to Big Bend, that would change. Wanna share a tow vehicle to big bend? I furnish the trailer and tow vehicle, you drive back while I continue on.

I use city of rocks as a mello ovenight stop point when travelling between CA and TX. A lot of big rvs hanging out essentially and a lesser number of smaller tent sites up the hill. It might be a good hiking spot, but as I recall, the trail I saw folks descending looked like a lot of work for a bit less scenery than some of the others sites mentioned in this thread :-)

So if you get near Death Valley, when leaving on the west side, if you go south on 395 there is a nice Sierra pass you can take, that used to not even be on most maps. It burned in some parts 20 years or so ago, but is probably nice again now. Its off of 395. Its a spectacular canyon climb then 65 miles or so of high country then drops down about 20 miles above Kernville, running along the river back down to Lake Isabella. It may not be open in April though.

While I prefer holograms for most applications, lasers and dots are usually lighter, more compact and more travel friendly. If your slide has already been drilled,
the 50,000 hour Holosuns are good too.

...and there you go ...help with sights for travelling!!!
:-)
:-D
:-P

So if you get near Death Valley, when leaving on the west side, if you go south on 395 there is a nice Sierra pass you can take, that used to not even be on most maps. It burned in some parts 20 years or so ago, but is probably nice again now. Its off of 395. Its a spectacular canyon climb then 65 miles or so of high country then drops down about 20 miles above Kernville, running along the river back down to Lake Isabella. It may not be open in April though.
That looks like a very nice road. Thanks, Death Valley is on the list if I don't get too tied up with Arizona and Nevada. I looked at a California map and there are LOTS of nice roads in the area. The Generals Highway and highway 180 jumped out. Right now, my wife has me traveling for 8 weeks, storing my bike, flying home for our anniversary, taking her and two nieces to Colorado and Utah for two weeks, flying to California for two weeks with my wife and then sending her home to work while I continue my MC trip. If all of that comes to pass, I will be extremely surprised.

That looks like a very nice road. Thanks, Death Valley is on the list if I don't get too tied up with Arizona and Nevada. I looked at a California map and there are LOTS of nice roads in the area. The Generals Highway and highway 180 jumped out. Right now, my wife has me traveling for 8 weeks, storing my bike, flying home for our anniversary, taking her and two nieces to Colorado and Utah for two weeks, flying to California for two weeks with my wife and then sending her home to work while I continue my MC trip. If all of that comes to pass, I will be extremely surprised.
No you will have died and gone to heaven with special blessing. Im gonna ride to ca in april at some point, see mom in monterrey and head back. Maybe ill see you on the road.

Here are a few places....

Arizona
-Lee's Ferry Lodge - Marble Canyon at sunset is amazing. That is where the photo was taken.
-Tombstone - Because I enjoy drinking at the Oriental Saloon.
-Flagstaff - Meteor Crater and the Apache death cave.
-Page - Lower Antelope Canyon

California
The best mountain passes will be closed until sometime in May. Carson pass (CA-88) and Highway 50 from South Lake Tahoe towards Placerville will be open, but probably interesting = ice and snow.

-Mono Lake.
-Bodie ghost town
-As mentioned elsewhere, Furnace Creek (Death Valley)
-Topaz Lake area
-Mammoth Lakes

Utah
If you find western history interesting and don't mind venturing into southern Utah, Robbers Roost "Spring" is a seriously cool place to visit. You may even be able to camp there. Butch Cassidy and friends claimed the place is haunted. I can see that..

Robbers Roost Utah

Attachments

• IMG_5508.jpg
    IMG_5508.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 111
Here are a few places....

Arizona
-Lee's Ferry Lodge - Marble Canyon at sunset is amazing. That is where the photo was taken.
-Tombstone - Because I enjoy drinking at the Oriental Saloon.
-Flagstaff - Meteor Crater and the Apache death cave.
-Page - Lower Antelope Canyon

California
The best mountain passes will be closed until sometime in May. Carson pass (CA-88) and Highway 50 from South Lake Tahoe towards Placerville will be open, but probably interesting = ice and snow.

-Mono Lake.
-Bodie ghost town
-As mentioned elsewhere, Furnace Creek (Death Valley)
-Topaz Lake area
-Mammoth Lakes

Utah
If you find western history interesting and don't mind venturing into southern Utah, Robbers Roost "Spring" is a seriously cool place to visit. You may even be able to camp there. Butch Cassidy and friends claimed the place is haunted. I can see that..

Robbers Roost Utah
I added several of your list to my general route. Thanks

For the closer stuff:
Chispa Road from Presidio up to Van Horn
Then up to Guadelupe Mountains, then
Dell City up to Cloudcroft offers some great, remote dirt riding.

If I were drinking a beer in Tombstone at the Oriental.....or Big Nose Kates....I would have camping in the Dragoon Mountains in my plan, also known as Cochise Stronghold? North of town, go out Middle March Rd. Same geological rocks as Texas Canyon on I-10, just no people or pavement, it's nice and remote. I biked/camped here many times back in the day, you can see the funky rocks in GE. Maybe a little sandy, but easy access. Coord for my old spot 31.869820020556027, -110.01775962413151

Also more neat camping spots in the same general area up by the China Camp Mines/Cave. Or at least worth the ride up there to explore around, bike and foot. Little bit rougher road if you are loaded heavy or worried/on fence 31.874052712407423, -109.98100082152696

If you went to the Chiricahua National Monument, you can access the Dragoons/the area I am describing from the east on Middle March Rd as well, the Sunsites side, and have a good ride over towards Tombstone on dirt. At least it was dirt many moons ago. And when you leave Bisbee, I am sure you have already eye balled the BDR starts around there and riding up over Montezuma Pass is really worth while and you can continue west in your travels, plus the cave is really cool, biggest room in a cave that I have been in. Also recently ran across this guy that set up an Adventure Riding Business in Bisbee, sometimes good to know friendlies are in the area if the need arises. Have Fun, I plan on doing some Arizona roaming myself next year!!!!

Last edited:
For the closer stuff:
Chispa Road from Presidio up to Van Horn
Then up to Guadelupe Mountains, then
Dell City up to Cloudcroft offers some great, remote dirt riding.
Jeff, I have not ridden Chispa Rd. Google maps says it ends at Capote Creek. Does it go on to Van Horn?

If I were drinking a beer in Tombstone at the Oriental.....or Big Nose Kates....I would have camping in the Dragoon Mountains in my plan, also known as Cochise Stronghold? North of town, go out Middle March Rd. Same geological rocks as Texas Canyon on I-10, just no people or pavement, it's nice and remote. I biked/camped here many times back in the day, you can see the funky rocks in GE. Maybe a little sandy, but easy access. Coord for my old spot 31.869820020556027, -110.01775962413151

Also more neat camping spots in the same general area up by the China Camp Mines/Cave. Or at least worth the ride up there to explore around, bike and foot. Little bit rougher road if you are loaded heavy or worried/on fence 31.874052712407423, -109.98100082152696

If you went to the Chiricahua National Monument, you can access the Dragoons/the area I am describing from the east on Middle March Rd as well, the Sunsites side, and have a good ride over towards Tombstone on dirt. At least it was dirt many moons ago. And when you leave Bisbee, I am sure you have already eye balled the BDR starts around there and riding up over Montezuma Pass is really worth while and you can continue west in your travels, plus the cave is really cool, biggest room in a cave that I have been in. Also recently ran across this guy that set up an Adventure Riding Business in Bisbee, sometimes good to know friendlies are in the area if the need arises. Have Fun, I plan on doing some Arizona roaming myself next year!!!!
I had Chiricahua NM on my list. I was unsure of the Dragoons area and , but Johnny Ringo's grave in the area makes it very appealing. I hear the southern end of the BDR has a lot of deep sand and I'll be on TKC70 tires. They do poorly in deep sand. Thanks for the info

Back