• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Help! Bent Center Stand -- 09 Bandit 1250s

Reaction score
Just bought me a 2009 Bandit 1250s. A few things I need to work out and one of these is a bent center stand.

It is bent on the left side so the foot does not sit flat on the ground (bent reward) and that causes the part you put your foot on about 2 inches above the foor peg. I have to push it down as I put my foot on the peg. (make sense?)

Does anyone know if it can be bent back into place? Heat it up and bend back??

Can a Bandit 600 / 1200 centerstand work? is the 07-12 center stand the same as the 15-16 ??

Thanks for your help! Roger

Bump.

so eyes more knowledgeable than mine will see this

OP, there is a Bandit sub forum on here that should be helpful

Double bump…please put Bandit 1250S in the title so folks will understand what bike needs help.
🍺

Fixed the Title.....

Thought I posted this in the Bandit Section. Is there another Bandit section I haven't found??

Thanks, Roger

Okay pics would help also. Not a Bandit guy either.
Are you sure the stand is bent? They are usually very stout
There is usually a stop that the stand rest against in the up position. These are usually less substantial and bend long before the stand. I would check that close. The stop also usually has a rubber pad or (rubber baby buggie bumper) of some type. These rot and fall off causing a rattle and the stand to ride high in the up position.

Here is a pic of my Strom. You can see the stop is welded on the exhaust.
BF08FA6A-DD24-4930-BB39-46E41ADEDB1F.jpeg

You are in the Bandit section but some of us see all new post. Not a big deal just might help someone notice.

I would take it to a repair place and see what your options are, maybe a little heat and weld a support to where it bent. My concern would be about weakening the metal, so maybe replacing it is a better idea. If the bike falls over in the future, what would the potential damage be (to the bike, to a car in your garage, to shelving, ...).

Good luck, let us know what you find out.

Thank you for all the advice. I took pictures and will try to post some.

I ended up getting one off Ebay. A little paint or maybe powder coating and should be ready to go.

I was thinking what PP186515 posted about what if a weakened center stand collapsed, what would that cost?

Centerstand.jpg

Yeah that is definitely bent and not just a little bit.

Dang, that is one heck of a bend! A torch and some creative heating could certainly get it back to straight though. And with most all centerstands being all steel and VERY overbuilt, I wouldn’t worry about it losing enough strength to have a critical failure.

That being said, with that kind of bend and if you don’t have the tools to straighten it properly, your EBay buy is probably the best course of action.

That's weird it's bent like that. It should be something that you can find used. Most bikes get written off due to frontend collisions so there should be lots of them out there.

That was a pretty hard hit to bend like that for sure. I hope the frame and mount points are ok.

FYI - center stand is most likely made from mild carbon steel that is not heat treated - heating with torch to cherry red to bend it back to correct position and letting it air cool would not change the mechanical properties.

Thanks for all the replies!
I ordered one off ebay and will install it. I will try to bend mine back to shape as a test. May be a few weeks before but will try to post how the bending back goes!
Now the hard part.... any secrets to getting those springs on and off, I've heard they are a real bear.
Ride Safe!

Frame and mount area seems fine. No crazy tracking of wheels or wobble when riding. So that's good!

There are tricks to those springs. One I've heard of is inserting a coin between each coil. But I do think there are other, possibly better methods

Tie a wire to the end of the spring and a block of 2x4 and use leverage from the rear wheel was what i just did to install two springs on mine. Also have a second person there to guide it into place while you pull to stretch it. Made it painless for me and the wifey felt very helpful, which she was!

Dang, that is one heck of a bend! A torch and some creative heating could certainly get it back to straight though. And with most all centerstands being all steel and VERY overbuilt, I wouldn’t worry about it losing enough strength to have a critical failure.

That being said, with that kind of bend and if you don’t have the tools to straighten it properly, your EBay buy is probably the best course of action.
I have looked at this photo of the stand several times. As, DFW states, some torch work could get you back close to the original build. I think from what I can see, you have something else to contend with as well. The leg has rotated back from the horizontal section, so you will have to fix this twist to get the proper realignment. The original gussets that you can see on the leg probably won't give any strength to correcting a twist. A good welding shop could get this problem corrected. Doing it yourself without out a torch probably won't work. Bending or twisting cold steel is a bad idea.

Just my two cents. Maybe someone on the forum is close to you and get the work done.

Then slap some duck tape on it cause we all know it fixes everything lol

Sounds easier than heating and bending !

Wouldn't WD-40 make the Duct tape bend it faster??? LOL

They say if it is supposed to move and doesn't, use WD-40 ........... And if it moves and shouldn't then use Duct Tape !!!!

Back