• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Honda Reflex

Reaction score
Ok. So I have a '06 Honda Reflex that I bought about a year ago. It had some problems but nothing too big. It ran pretty well. When we put t up, I put stableizer in it, and when I went to start it up this year, it fired right up. Put new gas in it, and it ran for about twenty mins befor I shut it off. When I went to leave, I noticed it had a pretty large puddle of gasoline on the ground beside the rear tire. It has a hose that is just hanging there. Only about an inch exposed under the panleing. The next day I went to start it to see if it was a fluke or if I was missing a filter or anything like that, and when I went to start it, it fired up for about a min and then it died. Since then, it won't idle or even turn over in some cases. I can take and send pictures of it, but I need some help. thanks.

You have a stuck float bowl and most likely clogged jets. On a bike with a vacuum petcock. which it sounds like you have, the valve out of the tank opens only when the engine is running and pulling a vacuum. The valve that meters the height of the gas in the carb float bowl is stuck by some junk, and fuel pours out of the overflow and down that tube instead of all over your engine.
You need to pull the carb and clean it out right. It's not hard at all if you have basic tools.

You have a stuck float bowl and most likely clogged jets. On a bike with a vacuum petcock. which it sounds like you have, the valve out of the tank opens only when the engine is running and pulling a vacuum. The valve that meters the height of the gas in the carb float bowl is stuck by some junk, and fuel pours out of the overflow and down that tube instead of all over your engine.
You need to pull the carb and clean it out right. It's not hard at all if you have basic tools.

Yep, what he said. The only thing ill add is the float needle has a rubber tip, and the rubber can harden up over time and not seal, or as stated above; it has gotten gummed up and wont close all the way. Either way, time to replace it.

Get a shop manual for it and you'll be all set. Pretty straight forward process to do from all I read on TWTEX about everyone cleaning/rebuilding their bikes (all makes and models) carbs seasonally with the same issues as yours.

Back