• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HONDA XR650L OWNER'S SIGN IN

Seems pricey for a stock 27 year old XR. Hagarty values it at $3400 and that seems generous. It is a great bike for forest roads but is heavy for the single track.
That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure.

t is a great bike for forest roads but is heavy for the single track.
I understand this, not planning on running trails on it but just like my GS I would drop in on the trail for a while. The weight doesn't bother me for this. I accept it's limits.

While I don't think this bike is a bargain at $4,000 ill offer a few observations. I'm thinking all seals in the case means external seals like countershaft, and shift shaft. This bike was likely a commuter bike that hasn't seen much dirt and lived an easy life. I base this on a few observations such as: The stock bars are still on this bike, these bars a prone to bend very easy. The stock plastic hand guars are still in place. These two things tell me that it likely hasn't been dropped at least not hard. There is no aftermarket bash plate, the stock turn signals are intact as well as the stock taillight. The upper chain guard is also in place with stickers still there. There is also little to no boot wear on the frame and engine case. The smog equipment is still in place. I would not call it low mileage. You could hit them low and see what they say. $2800-$3000 is probably fair price.

Here is an example of a low mileage bike with typical mods I see on these bikes. It is in Cali for $4500.

I understand this, not planning on running trails on it but just like my GS I would drop in on the trail for a while. The weight doesn't bother me for this. I accept it's limits.
Don’t get me wrong, it can be done. It just won’t be happy running slower speeds being an air cooled motor and you can compensate for the weight to some extent with distribution of power. I’d look for one that at least has the Dave’s mods done (fixes lean condition from the factory).

What about this 2000 model, 13,000 miles. 4500 Dollars. She says very well maintained and looks it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230226_145455_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230226_145455_Facebook.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot_20230226_145726_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230226_145726_Facebook.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 76
Good looking bike. Still seems a little pricey for a 23 year old bike. It does still have the stock tank which will limit your distance. Looks like it has a sturdy tail rack and appears to have an aftermarket exhaust.

Last edited:
For my worn out butt, small tank no problem. Definitely pricey, I'd make an offer if I move on it.

My hold up is, deep down want a backup dirt bike. That said, I have no doubt I'd run the wheels off this. It checks so many boxes.

A Seat Concepts seat is pretty much a requirement. That stock seat will feel like a 2X4 in no time.

slap a Clarke tank on it and you can do close to 200 miles. Air cooled bikes are great especially oil in the frame like that one. Bet she will take 3800.
I have the tail section support kt. It is cheap. Last thing is the wide counter sprocket.
I like it not having a Cush drive in the rear hub. It is snappier than a KLR. And 11 1/2 inch adjustable suspension is cool. Mine is a 2005 and it is exactly like a 2023 every nut bolt and screw. I( can change the oil in 10 min and sparkplug in one. I have no problem with stock seat. You will need bar riser if it does not have it.

Last edited:
Howdy folks! I'm skulking around here again and thinking about recommissioning the XR which has languished for some years now.
Glad to see this site still kicking!
Anybody ever hear from Hancock or his little bro anymore?

Howdy folks! I'm skulking around here again and thinking about recommissioning the XR which has languished for some years now.
Glad to see this site still kicking!
Anybody ever hear from Hancock or his little bro anymore?

Lonnie came out of a long silence 5 years ago, single post for sale of his bike,
hi every one
sorry I haven't chimed in
in a long time
I recently just got my bike carbs cleaned ect
and a good tune up
new battery starts up quick
new tires chain
I need money so I'm putting my 2007 XR-650-L
up for SALE :rider:
I'm asking $3000 or best offer
I have a lot good parts on it
plus all the new spare parts go with it
its been garage kept
sorry I don't have a current picture of it
its in HUFFMAN TX
please reply here or PM a message here
if you are interested
thanks

ILL check in to twtex for the next week or so
to see if anyone responds to this ok
I would like it to go to someone who will take good
care of it (my-BRP)

thanks again

HANCOCK

his last checkin was one week later and then radio silence since. I saw Shane post his bike for sale on Facebook at that same time so probably sold there.

Good looking bike. Still seems a little pricey for a 23 year old bike. It does still have the stock tank which will limit your distance. Looks like it has a sturdy tail rack and appears to have an aftermarket exhaust.
I believe I saw she was down to 3600 if it's still available.

I would offer $3100 and not go a penny over $3300.

I bought a trials bike so out of the game.
My condolences, woodsguy, for the pain and suffering you will endure with that trials bike...LOL!

Of course I'm kidding...to a degree. :D I have several friends in the Ross Creek Trail Riders...Concho Enduro...who have been playing with their trials bikes for some time. We've even had some small trials events out at the ranch where some good rocky, technical spots have led to some good challenging venues. I did try riding a couple of their bikes, but I just didn't get the bug. Being a mountain biker who likes technical terrain, I always thought I'd really take to a trials bike.

On the XR650L, I've been pretty darn pleased with this bike since December...the one I got from Tailwind here on the forum. The bike has a lot of mods done to it both by the previous owner and myself, and it performed really well in the Big Bend area this month for a two week period. It's a very different animal than my KLX300 and the KLR's I've owned in the recent past. I don't think they're as heavy as people perceive them to be, and the bike really likes it in the desert when the speed picks up. My recent trip to BB also had a riding buddy on his new KTM690. His bike is only 17 pounds lighter than mine. For what it is, I think the XRL gets an underserved bad rap over its weight. And man, the aftermarket for this bike is absolutely awesome.

IMG_20230305_115925542_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230305_131923963_HDR.jpg

My condolences, woodsguy, for the pain and suffering you will endure with that trials bike...LOL
Almost positive you're correct. Not jelling like I thought. Would love to trade for a d/s or older woods bike if opportunity came along. My 71 y/o legs just hurt too much on it. Lesson learned.

Almost positive you're correct. Not jelling like I thought. Would love to trade for a d/s or older woods bike if opportunity came along. My 71 y/o legs just hurt too much on it. Lesson learned.
Hate to hear that. They really look like fun, but they're fairly demanding IMO if you're serious about riding them for their intended purpose. I found them to not be that much fun if you didn't try to push it a bit. I find them awfully uncomfortable when not performing their specific task. On the trials bike style of riding, I can't believe how "trials'ish" some of those extreme riders can ride their regular dirt bikes in trials like terrain. You can almost hear them thinking..."we don't need no stinking trials bikes!" :lol2:

I have a neighbor that sold all his other bikes a while back and is looking for an XR650L, so he can go ride with me (on my DR650) in the forest. If anyone sees one for for sale in the Conroe area (+/- 150 miles) please let me know.

In other news...

I've got stock XRL gas tank in Austin if anyone wants it...

Boulder Ed came over and showed me how to adjust valves, He loosened both exhaust valves to spec. I wasn't sure how to do timing mark. The magnifying glass was for me. Ed has good eyes just cutting up. . We rode to eat at Rockdale Meat Market to eat afterwards.

5-8-23-1.jpg

5-8-23-2.jpg

7500 miles.. 1st adjustment and we really could have left it alone and been fine for a looong time. Always good to run exhausts on an xr right at the top of spec, at least thats always worked well for me. I will say Windmills garden puts mine to shame annually.

Back