• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

How do you do it? Lots to pack

Wow, you must be a really heavy sleeper! Lol

Yeah - tell me more... I can't imagine how 'jacket-as-pillow' could harm the jacket.

I've never taken a pillow camping - not riding or hiking. I typically stuff any soft clothing into the sleeping bag stuff-sack and use that. But, I've done jacket-as-pillow and - perhaps luckily - the jacket survived the night...

overpack? pffft. :lol2:
8 day moto camp through NM and CO.
1654867595176.png

16 days on the road, 10,500 miles, East Texas, Prudhoe Bay, Alaska then down to Suzuki Headquarters in Southern California and then home. We each carried two 2.5 gallon cans of fuel. Also had tools to change brake pads (needed to) and replace chains (Busa ate one in the mud of the Haul Road) and tires, replaced many tires on Miss Busa.

1654888350225.png

Yeah - tell me more... I can't imagine how 'jacket-as-pillow' could harm the jacket.

I've never taken a pillow camping - not riding or hiking. I typically stuff any soft clothing into the sleeping bag stuff-sack and use that. But, I've done jacket-as-pillow and - perhaps luckily - the jacket survived the night...
Broke up into pieces the padding or armor in it. Jacket fine safety pad in dozens of fragments. Took pads out of another jacket to fix.

Yeah I have had some pads that deteriorated and being crumbling. I now inspected my armor periodically to make sure it flexes and doesn’t crack.

Yeah I have had some pads that deteriorated and being crumbling. I now inspected my armor periodically to make sure it flexes and doesn’t crack.
Some was like cracker crumbs. Was fun trying to get all the flakes and parts/pieces out.

Gonna locate and post our packing list. Developed over 30 years, it is really well tested... Well its in a word pad format and it won't post. I'll need to work on this one.
Would be interesting to see your list.

Moto camping takes a lot of practice. Just sleeping outside takes some time to sleep well. But if you eat well and sleep well moto camping is a lot of fun.

Like anything, if you do something enough times you will become very efficient. Unless your the Dallas Cowboys 😎

Some riders camp to ride and others like me ride to camp.

This is a couple of years ago on a tubed motorcycle.

I
Moto camping takes a lot of practice. Just sleeping outside takes some time to sleep well. But if you eat well and sleep well moto camping is a lot of fun.

Like anything, if you do something enough times you will become very efficient. Unless your the Dallas Cowboys 😎

Is that you in the video? I like the cowboys comment also!:rofl:

I disagree on the Cowboys statement. The have become very efficient at losing.:lol2:

Y’all are fantastic! I’m thinking a couple of changes of underwear and I’m good to go! LoL. Seriously though, I was an active Boy Scout and camped and trekked through New Mexico with far less. So to my thinking all I need is what ever the motorcycle needs in addition to what I used to need. LoL. The motorcycle part part intrigues me. What would the motorcycle need other than a charged cell phone. I’m not going to be in a hurry, and it is an adventure!

Me and a buddy are planning to ride part of the NMBDR in June. (he's ridden the first half.) We plan to take a long week and maybe let the wind take us a bit off course and camp each night.
My question is for motorcycle campers. Downloading the recommended packing list, just how in the heck do you carry all the recommended stuff? Motor oil, chain lube, spare tubes, etc...do you even bother with an ice chest to enjoy a steak or two along the way? Thanks for the advice. Oh and I am planning a bit of dry run at the Hill Country Hangout.
I wouldn't sweat the oil. Even small towns have access to all kinds of oils. I never bothered with anything that needed too much work to cook. If I wanted something cooked like "normal" I'd just stop in a town and have an early dinner or something. It never mattered if I was camping 1 night or a week off of the bike my load was pretty much the same. I kept maybe 2 changes of clothes on board and used laundry mats in towns as needed. For cleaning up I used baby wipes or camped near a water source and dealt with cool water. It's easy to get carried away. I suggest laying everything out and deciding what you really need to take with you. One of the reasons I liked running tubeless tires was the small amount of tire repair gear I needed to repair one.

I also suggest laying everything out packing it into whatever bags/cases you are going to use and weighing everything on a fish scale. Weight can get away from you pretty quick. I used to have a thread or a post in a thread with pictures and weights of all of my setup on the VStrom. I think I was hovering around 80ish lbs of gear/food ect fully loaded.

... If I wanted something cooked like "normal" I'd just stop in a town and have an early dinner or something...
I have found that the restaurant scene in ANY town - small or big is still pretty much crap. Understaffed, and odd hours. This has been true all over. Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Montana, Idaho, California, you name it. It's always good to have some self sufficient options when you are out for several days. @KsTeveM , on my last trip one of the guys turned me onto the AdjustaFork. We had some fantastic meals off of that thing.

I’ve never been too particular about food. Most towns have something edible. That said I do appreciate fine cuisine, but I understand that at the end of the day whatever the local pub or diner serves will be adequate. If I wanted meals instead of adventure, I’d stay at home.

I have found that the restaurant scene in ANY town - small or big is still pretty much crap. Understaffed, and odd hours. This has been true all over. Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Montana, Idaho, California, you name it. It's always good to have some self sufficient options when you are out for several days. @KsTeveM , on my last trip one of the guys turned me onto the AdjustaFork. We had some fantastic meals off of that thing.
I'm not saying to not carry food. I'm saying you have to be realistic about what you bring. A cooler to keep steaks cool and a way to cook it with, keep in mind most areas now days are essentially in a permanent fire ban, so you'll need to pack something good enough to actually cook on and not just boil water with. These items tend to not be small or light. Riding a bike off-road with foodstuff in your saddlebags or top case quickly turns things that are not robust enough into dust or mush.

So, I typically carried a small burner stove, mostly to boil water for freeze-dried stuff or for warming up canned food. Now that I mostly do this stuff in a Jeep it has opened up my culinary options, 12v refrigerator/freezer and all that, and I know people cook well when riding but, it's a lot of extra stuff to carry around just to eat. Towns keep all this stuff packed away for us.

Backpacking taught me how to pack. It's a great lesson to have. You'd be surprised what you're perfectly comfortable without once that cumulative weight of "luxuries" is off your back! The main issue I could foresee with packing the bike is the bulk of winter insulation. Just a volume issue as it's not heavy.

I’ve never been too particular about food. Most towns have something edible. That said I do appreciate fine cuisine, but I understand that at the end of the day whatever the local pub or diner serves will be adequate. If I wanted meals instead of adventure, I’d stay at home.
At times finding a decent spot is not impossible but not many selections in some towns. Happened to us several times in New Mexico. Even with internet help. Sometimes finding a Cafe can be part of the adventure.:deal:

I'm not saying to not carry food. I'm saying you have to be realistic about what you bring. A cooler to keep steaks cool and a way to cook it with, keep in mind most areas now days are essentially in a permanent fire ban, so you'll need to pack something good enough to actually cook on and not just boil water with. These items tend to not be small or light. Riding a bike off-road with foodstuff in your saddlebags or top case quickly turns things that are not robust enough into dust or mush.

So, I typically carried a small burner stove, mostly to boil water for freeze-dried stuff or for warming up canned food. Now that I mostly do this stuff in a Jeep it has opened up my culinary options, 12v refrigerator/freezer and all that, and I know people cook well when riding but, it's a lot of extra stuff to carry around just to eat. Towns keep all this stuff packed away for us.
What kind of fridge do you use?

Back