• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Howdy from Colorado!

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Barnes
Just wanted to check in with everybody, and say hello from my new home in Salida, CO. The summer riding season is almost upon us, and I'd like to invite everyone to come and visit the Arkansas River Valley. Salida is on the Continental Divide Ride, the CoBDR, and the TAT, plus great all around riding, from world class single track to big bike friendly 4x4 roads. And just in case you get bored on the bike, we have white water rafting trips, great fly fishing, tons of free camping (almost all RV accessible), multiple craft breweries, great restaurants, multiple hot springs, and one of the best food trucks in the state :) The moto shop in town is owned by a friend of mine, and Will always gives priority to travelers, and will happily let you ship tires, chains, etc to the shop. So come to Salida this summer, it would be great to see y'all.

Camping just south of you in June. Westcliff. Great area for adventure.

My wife and I will be joining Vinny in Westcliff, then we move on to Purgatory for another week of fun in CO. Can't wait :) You are in a wonderful area!

Salida is one of my favorites. It has that goldilocks style...not too big...not too small. Central to a whole bunch of top notch offroad riding. Did I mention that the rainbow trail can be ridden from near westcliffe to salida? :trust:

Vinny has a friend up there and that appears to be the plan to do the entire (or majority) of Rainbow trail. Wish I could take the 300 on it, but it sounds like a 501 ride because of the slab back to Westcliff.

I've seen some roads west of westcliff while driving thru. always wanted to ride them. I'm heading to creede june 10th.

Eat yo wheaties ahead of time. It's an epic trail but it'll beat on ya...and there's lots of it. There's also a good bit of ledge trail that'll crease your seat quite thoroughly. Way fun and fantastic ride. Y'all could come back south from Salida (Poncha springs) on the west side of the mountains...lots of dirt roads along the base headed toward Crestone. Take 6 over the mountain to Hayden pass and down to the campground near Coaldale. It's a fun pass on the west side but basically dirt road coming down on the east. Just beats having to waste tires, rings and gas slabbing it back. And then there's Texas creek right there. Different kind of riding. Some single track but mostly rugged two track. Fun riding though. Only place to get a cell signal is right beside the big rock...go figure. Man I'm jealous...y'all have a great ride!

Back