• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hwy 50 Colorado

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
For you traveling guys.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1713481792085.jpg
    FB_IMG_1713481792085.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Dang. I guess I'll take 70 going west.
Thanks for posting.

Gunnison County S.O.​

B9E28771-FD8D-48E2-989C-FDCEC769C28F_4_5005_c.jpeg

·

***ROAD CLOSED***
U.S. Highway 50 at the bridge at Dillon Pinnacles between Gunnison and Montrose (approximately mile marker 136) is closed indefinitely for repairs. Hiway dept. closed the highway to all traffic due to bridge integrity.
It is unknown at this time when the Highway will be open.
FECED8A9-A458-4188-8022-48CE1070ABB6_4_5005_c.jpeg

YOU CAN GO FROM CRESTED BUTTE TO 133 ON 12. 12 IS DIRT BUT NICE SMOOTH ROAD. I'D DRIVE ANYTHING DOWN IT.
I'd say it all depends on when it was last graded. Last time I went through there, I found a lot of sections to be very washboardy.

A dirt road from just west of the closed bridge to Highway 149 will let you bypass the bridge if you are headed between Lake City and Sapinero. It's dirt, but the last time I rode it, I was on a ZRX1100. It's about 40 miles long. #26

***Update***** 9:00 am

There is a lot of conflicting information for local alternate routes right now. We are awaiting further information from Gunnison County and CDOT but COUNTY ROAD 26 IS NOT OPEN to the public as an alternate route. It is staffed by traffic control and law enforcement and traffic is not being allowed through. County Road 25 is not passable and numerous parties were stuck overnight trying to pass.

We will update as soon as we have further information from Gunnison County.

YOU CAN TAKE ALPINE PLATEAU ROAD (867) BETWEEN LAKE CITY AND HWY 50 BUT PART OF IT IS DIRT WORTHY BIKE ONLY.

***Update***** 9:00 am

There is a lot of conflicting information for local alternate routes right now. We are awaiting further information from Gunnison County and CDOT but COUNTY ROAD 26 IS NOT OPEN to the public as an alternate route. It is staffed by traffic control and law enforcement and traffic is not being allowed through. County Road 25 is not passable and numerous parties were stuck overnight trying to pass.

We will update as soon as we have further information from Gunnison County.
The idea of a closed road being staffed to stop people is a totally foreign concept to me. I usually see the signs and think "challenge accepted!" when I'm on the bike.

Thanks for posting this. We are headed to Ouray in June with toy haulers in tow and that was the way we were going to go. Time to figure out a new route.

County Road 26 Update

DO NOT CALL GUNNISON DISPATCH FOR INFORMATION. You must call the CDOT Hotline at 970-648-4423 and if you do not get a live person leave a message for a immediate callback.

Beginning Monday, April 22, the County Road 26 bypass will open as a detour route two times per day in each direction for critical local public travel. To open this as a viable detour, traffic will need to be managed through the use of pilot vehicles. CR 26 (also known as Lake City Cutoff) is a high mountain native surface road that is not built to maintain existing US Highway 50 traffic levels. The county and state are working to improve the road in case of a prolonged bridge closure.
Piloted release times will be:

6:00 to 6:30 a.m. for westbound travel beginning at CO 149 and CR 26.
7:00 to 7:30 a.m. for eastbound travel beginning at US 50 and CR 26.

6:00 to 6:30 p.m. for westbound travel beginning at CO 149 and CR 26.
7:00 to 7:30 p.m. for eastbound travel beginning at US 50 and CR 26.

In order to maintain this route, crews will need time to do any repairs to CR 26 so no other public travel will be allowed outside of these times.

No trailers of any type will be allowed, and the detour will not be open to commercial vehicles in excess of 16,001 GVWR.
Prohibited vehicles will need to use detours on I-70 or Colorado Highway 160 to travel between Gunnison and Montrose.

For questions, call 970-648-4423 and leave a message for a call back.

• You can email questions to us50bridge@gmail.com.
• Website resource- https://www.gunnisoncounty.org/1078/Hwy-50-Bridge-Closure , bit.ly/us50bridge
• To sign up for text and or email updates on all Gunnison County roadwork messaging, please visit https://www.gunnisoncounty.org/list.aspx to select what updates you’d like to start receiving.

A partir del lunes 22 de abril, la circunvalación 26 de la carretera del condado se abrirá como una ruta de desvío dos veces al día en cada dirección para viajes públicos locales críticos. Para abrir esto como un desvío viable, el tráfico tendrá que ser gestionado mediante el uso de vehículos piloto. CR 26 (también conocida como Lake City Cutoff) es una carretera de superficie nativa de alta montaña que no está construida para mantener los niveles de tráfico existente de la autopista US 50. El condado y el estado están trabajando para mejorar la carretera en caso de un cierre prolongado del puente.
Los tiempos serán:
6:00 a 6:30 a.m. para viajar hacia el oeste a partir de CO 149 y CR 26.
7:00 a 7:30 a.m. para viajes hacia el este a partir de US 50 y CR 26.
6:00 a 6:30 p.m. para viajar hacia el oeste a partir de CO 149 y CR 26.
7:00 a 7:30 p.m. para viajes en dirección este a partir de US 50 y CR 26.
Con el fin de mantener esta ruta, las tripulaciones necesitarán tiempo para hacer cualquier reparación en la CR 26, por lo que no se permitirá ningún otro viaje público fuera de estos horarios.
No se permitirán remolques de ningún tipo, y el desvío no estará abierto a vehículos comerciales que superen los 16.001 GVWR.
Los vehículos prohibidos tendrán que usar los desvíos en la I-70 o la autopista 160 de Colorado para viajar entre Gunnison y Montrose.
Si tiene preguntas, llame al 970-648-4423 y deje un mensaje para devolver la llamada.

Thanks for posting this. We are headed to Ouray in June with toy haulers in tow and that was the way we were going to go. Time to figure out a new route.
I haven't been over in that part of the state in ages, but I assume Hwy 160 is open for business. It's a good highway, although it might be a bit busier with 50 closed. You can take 160 straight into Durango & go north.

Or, for change of scenery, I've taken I-40 to Albuquerque, then north on 550 into Durango. Good roads all the way.

Yet another route is to cut north from I-40 up through Santa Fe, follow 84 north to Chama, then take 64 west to Farmington where you can pick up 550 into Durango. It probably takes longer, but it's quite scenic around Chama. Not so much, when you get close to Farmington, though.

I haven't been over in that part of the state in ages, but I assume Hwy 160 is open for business. It's a good highway, although it might be a bit busier with 50 closed. You can take 160 straight into Durango & go north.

Or, for change of scenery, I've taken I-40 to Albuquerque, then north on 550 into Durango. Good roads all the way.

Yet another route is to cut north from I-40 up through Santa Fe, follow 84 north to Chama, then take 64 west to Farmington where you can pick up 550 into Durango. It probably takes longer, but it's quite scenic around Chama. Not so much, when you get close to Farmington, though.
I’ve been the 550 route many a time. I was just trying to avoid that particular part of 550 when pulling a 34’ toy hauler.

I’m probably going to Cortez and then up from there and hit Ridgeway and go south.

That little piece of pavement is one of the few places where you can reach out and slap the back of your rv while making a curve.
And to me, it's always been a lot scarier southbound than northbound. Either way, I don't enjoy it with a trailer.

And to me, it's always been a lot scarier southbound than northbound. Either way, I don't enjoy it with a trailer.
Same here. While I know there are tons of people that have done it, If I can take the Cortez to Ridgeway route and have an easier time, I'm all for it. :)

Back