• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I never thought this day would come

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Miller
I'm an OG (old guy) and have been riding since I was a teenager. My son last rode on a motorcycle when he was about 6 and I took him around the neighborhood on my Triumph in 1973.

He is 44 now and has spent his adult life telling me how foolish I am for riding motorcycles.

So I nearly fainted last week when he called and said "Guess what!" He just finished his motorcycle safety course to get his license and he will be the proud owner of a CBR300 or Ninja250 sometime this month.

I'm dumbfounded. Now I'm wondering if I can ride with him without worrying that he is foolish for riding a motorcycle. Seriously though, I'm very excited that I might get to enjoy some father son time on our bikes.

Some of my fondest memories with my Dad are riding together as adults. Good luck to your son and his new found hobby.

When my son was young, I bought him a KX80 and then a XR250R. We rode until he started dating and his girlfriend was a cowgirl...He got a horse and his bike languished in my garage until I finally sold it. He owns two horses today and no motorcycle. He does sometimes still grab one of my dirt bikes and play for a bit but his wife hates bikes. She tried to preach to me about how dangerous they are and I told her my mom failed at age 10 so don't even start. My son and I only played in the dirt but it would have been fun to roadtrip together. I wish you the best and the rides be happy and injury free.:chug:

I'm an OG (old guy) and have been riding since I was a teenager. My son last rode on a motorcycle when he was about 6 and I took him around the neighborhood on my Triumph in 1973.

He is 44 now and has spent his adult life telling me how foolish I am for riding motorcycles.

So I nearly fainted last week when he called and said "Guess what!" He just finished his motorcycle safety course to get his license and he will be the proud owner of a CBR300 or Ninja250 sometime this month.

I'm dumbfounded. Now I'm wondering if I can ride with him without worrying that he is foolish for riding a motorcycle. Seriously though, I'm very excited that I might get to enjoy some father son time on our bikes.

My son bought me my '07 Bandit right off the showroom floor[thats us in my avatar the day we brought her home]. We have had many miles together including when we both had honda 650 4 bangers-mine a year older with the better hotter cams. Now he has an Aprillia and can leave me in the dust........but its STILL QUALITY FATHER SON TIME!! I wouldn't trade it for ANYTHING. hE'S 46, ME 70

Last edited:
When my son was young, I bought him a KX80 and then a XR250R. We rode until he started dating and his girlfriend was a cowgirl...He got a horse and his bike languished in my garage until I finally sold it. He owns two horses today and no motorcycle. He does sometimes still grab one of my dirt bikes and play for a bit but his wife hates bikes. She tried to preach to me about how dangerous they are and I told her my mom failed at age 10 so don't even start. My son and I only played in the dirt but it would have been fun to roadtrip together. I wish you the best and the rides be happy and injury free.:chug:

Based on my family experience, your son went from a risky activity to a very risky activity. My sister broke her neck and tore her ACL from a horse ride gone bad and my wife's cousin nearly died from a horse fall.

If he did the class already I bet he gets a bike real soon. It will be interesting to see what he chooses. Should we start looking for him?

Mike, he said he will buy this month. Right now he is leaning toward buying the Ninja250. We need to ride out east when he gets going.

Your good example finally got to your son Rick :thumb:

My son's first motorcycle ride was at a young age, and we took several 2-up rides over several years. He got his first street bike at 16 (Ninja 500) and now he rides an FZ-1. We've had some great father/son rides, and he's gotten faster than me (don't tell him :eek2:) We don't ride together as much, Cameron got married last year. But we get together for breakfast at the the monthly Skyline Cafe meet at Tyler Pounds airport.

As far as horses. I ride both and have gotten grief about either from my equine and motorcycle friends. I've come off both, both hurt. Horses were for work, motorcycles for fun. I still have one horse in the pasture and 3 bikes in the garage (BTW, the Bandit 1250 is for sale :trust:)

Based on my family experience, your son went from a risky activity to a very risky activity. My sister broke her neck and tore her ACL from a horse ride gone bad and my wife's cousin nearly died from a horse fall.

I went though that "cowboy" phase also but I chose to ride something less tempermental:trust: I think:ponder:

I went though that "cowboy" phase also but I chose to ride something less tempermental:trust: I think:ponder:

^^^
This, after getting tossed off horses/ponies/mules more times then I care to admit, I started riding dirtbikes and never looked back. On bikes if you have a get off its usually something you did or didn't do. Not an animal just having a bad day.

^^^
This, after getting tossed off horses/ponies/mules more times then I care to admit, I started riding dirtbikes and never looked back. On bikes if you have a get off its usually something you did or didn't do. Not an animal just having a bad day.

That was my expierence. I got a hold of a horse that was determined to kill me and I was determined to ride...well...after she broke three saddles and tore her legs up from running through fences, I decided she was incorrigible:giveup:

Tell her the difference between a horse and a motorcycle is the bike well only jump on you once a horse well stomp you till its done. Lets not even start about water crossings and low branches!:doh:

I've never had to shovel motorcycle poop.

Surprises continue to come. Had breakfast with my son today. We talked bikes all morning. This is great.

I'm going to go with him to buy his gear. He has requested quotes from Carrollton Kawasaki, Plano Kawasaki, and Irving Kawasaki. He will buy this month. (Black Ninja 300 ABS)

My oldest two sons both took the course and got their licenses before me. I cannot describe the joy of riding with my boys! Enjoy every minute :thumb:

Riding with your kids (& grand kids) is such a special treat in life. Enjoying the frills of two wheeled bliss with one another is simply hard to top. Congratulations!

When I was growing up, my parents did everything in their power to discourage me from riding motorcycles. A few months ago, my dad (now in his late 60s) took the class, got his license, and is now enlisting me to help convince my mom to let him buy a bike... :mrgreen:

Well here he is. Geared up and going for a ride. So Cool!

kellybike.jpg

My parents bought me my first bike.
I am pretty sure they were trying to collect on a insurance policy, they seemed dejected whenever I returned home still alive.

Last edited:
Congrats and enjoy.....

I wish my father was physically able to ride (he is 77 now) but after a couple of knee replacements and some hip work he just doesn't feel like he can. The few times that I took my Triumph to OKC I could see the sparkle in his eye for it but I know he just can't anymore. We and most of the fathers/sons in our neighborhood grew up trail riding around Oklahoma City and would take a yearly trip down to Lake Murray in Southern Oklahoma and the Flying P Cycle Ranch outside Weatherford, Texas. We started when I was 9 years old and he was 36. We also had a golf trip with most of the same group every year and I miss that as well (his two back surgeries ended golf for him). We still have (Oklahoma) football and what is going on at our old office (he retired in 2001 but stays in touch with many of them) to talk about.

Very happy for you. Riding with my dad has been such a wonderful experience these last few years. Not only riding, but as you say "talking bikes" and even wrenching together.

We even eventually got similar bikes, which seemed to double the enjoyment.

Couple pics from recently:

72420dac3802efa83fd6f6b1105eee3f.jpg

4dfee7b5a0c123153e1434c2dd4df317.jpg

He looks great on it! Now we need to get him to join TWT!

Let' set up a ride soon.

Very cool Rick.
My dad didn't ride. He nixed the mini bike idea as a teen. I showed him when I rode my BMW K75 to his house in Dallas at age 33.

Have fun

Back