• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I think my 1250 is running a little hot

Reaction score
I know its summer but I thought I'd check my coolant. Fluid is at top of my radiator cap but the reservoir is almost empty. Ran it about 5 hours ago. I can't find anywhere what level the reservoir is supposed to be at:giveup:

The reservoir is marked on my 09 1250. Its stock.

What indication do you have it is running hot?

The reservoir is for expansion of the coolant which happens as it heats up.

Last edited:
It is the Catalytic Converter. It operates at 1400 degrees. I removed mine.

In our efforts to extract some HP don't forget that the cat is proven technology and does reduce harmful exhaust emissions. We can say it doesn't matter but it does and when enough people remove them you end up with smog checks. We all know better than "the man" but in the end you can't complain when you can't register your bike because others decided just to get a few HP.

There are cars making over 700 hp and they have cats. Better engineering is the solution. There are cars that can outrun any Bandit no matter how modded and that car will have a cat.

Modern engines operate so cleanly, especially with the EPA pushing 10+% Ethanol down our tanks, motorcycles are not the problem. It those high HP cars smoking their tires that are raising the Carbon foot print. Drifting Racing should be banned! The Carbon Pollution from burning tires is terrible for the environment.
One 20-yr old Kenworth with 3+ million miles pollute more than all the modern motorcycles. How many old Semi's still in use today? 100,000's.

Last edited:
I think I was just expecting less heat from a naked bike. I used to ride a ZX14R and one of the reason I sold it was because it was so hot. I notice it hitting my shins on the highway but it might just be my build, if I raise my feet on pegs, my legs move into the airstream and I don't notice near as much heat.

Modern engines operate so cleanly, especially with the EPA pushing 10+% Ethanol down our tanks, motorcycles are not the problem. It those high HP cars smoking their tires that are raising the Carbon foot print. Drifting Racing should be banned!

Once you temove the cat, it isn't operating very cleanly anymore.

Last I heard, drift racing on.public roads was illegal.

The 1250 Bandits are one of the least hot bikes around. I have the full fairing with lowers and never feel too much heat coming off the motor. If you sit in stopped traffic a lot I guess it could get warm but otherwise it really doesn't get more than warm, after all it is a big engine.

I've just got back from Glacier Park on my 2012 ZX14r. You have to wear thick clothing when you ride.
I wore a pair of Rail Rider snowboard pants. I removed the felt liner. It is made of 6 oz. Nylon with another layer for the Knee and Butt. Rail Rider had 3 pockets with zippers and have a low waist. I only felt heat when the radiator fan(s) came on at a stop.
The Bandit has a wide radiator and a big motor. It sheds heat.
The K1300GT is supposed to be a cooler Bike to ride. The engine is completely encased.

Attachments

• IMG_8171.JPG
    IMG_8171.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Back