• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

If you could actually do your dream trip... Where, When, What, Why?

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
Suppose you won a lotto, not millions upon millions, but enough that you could perhaps take off from working for 3-6 months (or more if you are so inclined) and not have to worry about the cost of your bike and all the other expenses associated with a trip.

Where would you go?

When would you go? Any particular season(s)?

What would you want to see? People? Special geographical features? Particular cultures? Certain architectural structures? Any special festivals, celebrations, or other events?

Would you want to go solo or with anyone in particular?

What kind of bike would you want?

What kind of stuff would you want to be able to take with you?

Would you want to camp, hotels, BnBs, couch surf, etc... some combination of all of them?

Why for all the above?

Don't worry about being super pragmatic with your answers, after all... We're talking about dreaming... stretch your imagination and DREAM BIG!

Really think about it a bit before you start hacking at the keyboard, tablet, or phone. Then get back to us and share it here. Give us details so other folks can get ideas and maybe work on building a dream of their own.

Good question.

In 3-6 months I think I would maybe do a tour of North America. All 50 states (well the 49 you can ride to) plus Canada and Mexico as well. Maybe that's trying to cover too much ground. It would have to be a 6 month trip to be able to cover that much ground and hit many of the good spots.

OR

Europe. Somehow go there and buy a bike (I'm happy with my R1200GS for this sort of trip) and travel everywhere. I like to camp, but not off the bike. Too much stuff to pack. It might be hard to find another Lotto winner to do this trip with, but maybe plan to meet up with friends and ride with them for a week or two.

Yep, the Europe trip is what I'd do.

Now I'm thinking I'd be leaving in July and work my sort of north to south. I'd hit Oktoberfest in Munich for sure. Maybe I'm trying to bite off more area than I should. The trip would be about experiencing the culture as much as it would be about riding motorcycles and hitting the famous roads. Let me go to Google maps and come up with a route.

Why are you up so early? Did you win a lotto?

Last edited:
I'm boring, if I won enough to stop working for 3 months, I'd just save it. I mean after I bought a couple of motorcycles :)

I do want to ride across the country though. Don't really have a plan much more than that for now.

OK, this is easy. I'd hop on a new liter ADV bike (Africa Twin, KTM 1090, etc) and head south. I'd stop for week in each new country, where my wife would fly in and we'd tour around together. She'd head home (or fly ahead to the next spot), I'd head to the next country. Wash, Rinse, Repeat. Work our way to Tierra del Fuego, then ship the bike to South Africa while we fly over. Repeat heading north up Africa, stopping several times for a week or more for visits from the wife. Repeat is western Europe, Repeat is eastern Europe. Repeat in southwestern Asia, working around India thru Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, then shipping to Australia, where we'd stay for maybe 6 months. In about 4 years, this is all over and we settle down in whichever country pleased us the most.

Yes, it's a modest little trip.

OK, this is kinda cheating as it's a "see everything / do everything" kinda plan. It's harder to think up a "what ONE thing would I most want to do" kinda trip.

So I have two options. (3 options actually)
Currently these are impossible unless I can take the whole family along so the first one will have to wait till my boy is grown enough to do it with me. That one is a 15 year dream in the making that many folks on here have done I believe.

Option 1 - July
Buy a KTM690 and an RV, the travel to New Mexico and start the continental divide trail. Have the family travel by RV and meet me every night at the next location. My trusty KLR 650 would be on a trailer just in case the KTM gave up the ghost. 😁😁. We would continue that trip up to Canada then return via Colorado where I would ride engineers pass and all that area. It would probably only take a month but this one have been on my bucket list since 2006 when I first read a ride report I found via KLR650.net

Option 2 - May-June
This would require completely rebuilding my KLR from the ground up or getting a really well built Gen 1 bike. The reason for a KLR is the durability and simplicity. Ship myself and the bike to South Africa and ship the wife and kids to the in-laws in Uganda. Then I would ride up the east side of Africa from Cape town up through Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Malawi, Tanzania, Rwanda and to Uganda. Most countries I would pass through but Rwanda and Uganda I would explore. For the Rwanda and Uganda portion, I would rent or buy a decent bike for my wife's uncle to join me as he knows the area well. After some R&R with the family I would head on to explore Kenya and ride to the Coast. I would head back to Uganda and fly out with the family. I would leave the bike with the family for future vacations to explore that area more.

Option 3 - April
I would to ride Baja California. From Tijuana to Cabo. I would then travel to Puerto Vallarta and ride up through central Mexico up to Ojinaga/Presido and over through Big bend. Then home via the Hill country.

Last edited:
The wife and I would buy a CVO Road Glide with tour pak in Amsterdam in mid-April, farkle the crud out of it. Lots of appropriate gear (Aerostich, extra helmet, Sena, radar detector, HAM radio, SPOT tracker, etc.) Loop through Belgium, France, Spain, Italy, take a ferry to Greece (or loop around the Adriatic if there's time,) back up through Albania and Croatia and Austria, Slovakia and The Czech Republic, Austria and wind up in Germany (either Frankfurt or Munich) in time for Oktoberfest. Plan a good mix of riding days and resting days, following good twisty routes wherever possible. Hotels or furnished cabin type lodging everywhere.

Things to see:
Spring tulips in Amsterdam/Holland
Herbs and orchard blooms in Belgium
Easter festivals in Paris/France, seeing the Maginot line and the fortifications, the beaches of Normandy, Flanders' fields, etc.
The Pyrenees
Andorra
Bilbao, Madrid, Valencia, Barcelona, Seville if there's time.
Monaco
The French/Italian/Meditteranean coast during early summer
The great cities of Italy (Genoa, Turin, Milan, Florence, Rome, Naples, Venice, etc.)
Greece in summer- swimming in the Adriatic Sea
Experiencing the cultures of Albania, Montenegro, Macedonia, Bulgaria, Bosnia, Croatia, Slovenia, Hungary, Romania as time allows.
Late summer crossing the Alps into Slovenia and Austria
Germany in late summer/early fall
Sell the bike back in Amsterdam at the end of September

There's so much more to see- I could make this trip take literally years with very little effort, or ride it for ten years in a row and find different places to stop each time, or pick it up at a different start point at different times of the year, or whatever. If you haven't been to these places, they're worth a visit.

Last edited:
Too tough a Q. Heading to Israel later but without a cycle.
Australia would be high on the list. For a dedicated cycle trip, I would lean to Swiss Alps?

Or bank it as Jarrett said, ride the Pig Trail, and live like a king somewhere in AR.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

You know... it's one thing to day dream about the epic motorcycle trip, it is quite another to be doing one... right now. As we speak, a good friend of mine is on his trip from Singapore to Europe, via China and central Eurasia. I believe he is current somewhere near the base camp to Mt .Everest...

http://carlnotfors.com/singapore-to-europe/

Hmmm....

Bike : BMW 1250 GS Adventure

Time: April until---

Destinations: Would love to do the Trans Atlantic Trail...Start in North Carolina catch some Appalachian scenery while I'm at it. Ride to the west coast.

West Coast Ride...Start as far south as Possible. Ride West Coast all the way thru Canada.

Dalton Hwy....Ride Alaska to the Article Circle

Ship bike to Europe:

Entire Eastern Hemisphere!!!

As for myself... it would be similar to Carl's trip and cover the entire Eurasian super-continent from one end to the other... starting with the https://www.northcoast500.com/

Last time I was in Inverness, I looked into renting a bike and was surprised to find many companies offering it. If I ever get to go to Scotland again in the Summer months and can stay an extra week on my own time, I would definitely do it.

Let’s get some details for these plans. What specific places would you like to see? National parks? World Heritage sites. Specific mountain ranges? Particular cities? Certain roads?

Africa
New Zealand
Europe
British Isles
South America
Australia
Viet Nam
Japan
Russia

They are on my bucket list and haven't been yet. Hope I'm around long enough to get to most of them.

SS

I have been all over the world and all over the US. There are a lot of places I like, a few I didn’t and many I will go back to.

However, I have not been to Iceland and I want to ride the ring road around the island. I will.

Why wait to win the lottery? I ran into a guy in Big Bend this January that was from Switzerland. He kept a bike over here and came over once a year and rode it. I’m thinking of doing the same thing, but there.

Where would you go? Norway mostly, but also Sweden, Denmark

When would you go? Any particular season(s)? Their spring, after all the roads are open and most snow is gone.

What would you want to see? People? Special geographical features? Particular cultures? Certain architectural structures? Any special festivals, celebrations, or other events? Everything, Arctic Circle, Trolls Highway, Fjords, Sea Ports, Roundabouts in Caves, and People Watch.

Would you want to go solo or with anyone in particular? My Wife

What kind of bike would you want? BMW R1250RT

What kind of stuff would you want to be able to take with you? Gear, clothes, cameras, LOTS of MONEY.

Would you want to camp, hotels, BnBs, couch surf, etc... some combination of all of them? Hotels, BnB; live like a king and queen.

Why for all the above? It's what would be a dream for me.

Why wait to win the lottery? I ran into a guy in Big Bend this January that was from Switzerland. He kept a bike over here and came over once a year and rode it. I’m thinking of doing the same thing, but there.

Of course you don't HAVE to win the lottery, but for many working folks they just get so little time off each year that it is hard to do long bike trips, especially if they have families wanting to do vacations and such. With a wife and three kids, I walk a fine line between doing family trips and doing bike trips that usually just involve me and maybe one of the kids depending on the trip. Also, because of my work, I can't get more than one week off at a time. In 25 years, I have never taken a two week vacation. The only way I could get a longer vacation would basically be to quit my job, but then I couldn't afford to go on vacation... Catch-22.

Of course you don't HAVE to win the lottery, but for many working folks they just get so little time off each year that it is hard to do long bike trips, especially if they have families wanting to do vacations and such. With a wife and three kids, I walk a fine line between doing family trips and doing bike trips that usually just involve me and maybe one of the kids depending on the trip. Also, because of my work, I can't get more than one week off at a time. In 25 years, I have never taken a two week vacation. The only way I could get a longer vacation would basically be to quit my job, but then I couldn't afford to go on vacation... Catch-22.

Yeah, when you decide to have children, they should be your first priority. And most motorcycling vacations really aren't the best ones for families with little kids. But they will grow up eventually and you'll probably get to the empty nester phase in another 15-20 years or so. Maybe then...

I’d start in early May and be riding light on the 701. Motel’ing it at night to keep the luggage weight down. Go straight up 281’ish to the Canadian border. Then start zig zagging it to all the western states and national parks and sights that make the National Geographic channel. Continental divide and western part of the TAT also. I’ll be back home by September before the snow starts.

Butler maps and BDR would be a high priority to stay off the super slab

Last edited:
Follow the MXGP series

Well I was gonna invite you to be my all expense paid road mechanic but you have different lottery dreams. Guess I’ll have to factor in shop time for the 701 now. Thanks aspr. :rolleyes:

Well I was gonna invite you to be my all expense paid road mechanic but you have different lottery dreams. Guess I’ll have to factor in shop time for the 701 now. Thanks aspr. :rolleyes:
I'll come on yours too!

Suppose you won a lotto, not millions upon millions, but enough that you could perhaps take off from working for 3-6 months (or more if you are so inclined) and not have to worry about the cost of your bike and all the other expenses associated with a trip.

Been there. Done that.

I won $50K a couple of years ago. That works out to $35K after taxes. I paid off outstanding debt, bought some "wanted" things, and then invested the remaining $25K or so in a Vanguard Index Fund. While those funds would have been more than sufficient to pay for a fun trip or three, being this close to retirement tends to sway your perspective.

Now... If I were to win the "Lotto" (Mega/Powerball/etc), things would be different.

If I were to win a sizable ($100M+) amount I would retire now; purchase a new/leftover 2017 Wing; purchase a Newell motorcoach; and begin travelling the US with the Wing either in a stacker trailer or on a lift at the back of the coach. The Wing would only be used once we got to an area of good riding; that could be portions of UT, CO, TN, NC, SC, ID, or any number of states around the country. The coach is perfect for those long days of slabbing it, and then climb on the Wing to enjoy the local secondary roads and scenery. The coach is also a rolling Hilton, just without the room service, but there's always Uber Eats.

National Parks would be high on the list. Doing the tourist thing in Washington DC would also be high on the list if I could figure out transportation options for her. I haven't been to the Smithsonian since I was about 9 years old. We both have lots of friends/family on the east side of the country, so there would be a lot of visiting.

Due to my wife's condition, long days on the bike are no longer feasible, but in the coach she can go and take a nap any time she needs to. We're also prevented from doing long overseas flights for the same reason. Otherwise we would go to Scotland (where she lived for a number of years), England (where my family came from in 1678), Isle Of Man (for the TT), Wales (where part of the family came from in 1774), and then do the guided motorcycle tours throughout Europe. I also have a friend in England that could guide me through various parts of Europe.

After Europe it would be on to Australia and New Zealand and Tasmania where I have other friends that could guide me in those countries.

Somewhere along the line we would make it to Guam so I could revisit the places I lived at during my younger days as well as go to Saipan, Japan, Taiwan, and possibly Hong Kong. I have no desire to visit Mexico, Central America, South America, Vietnam, Laos, India or any other "exotic" destination.

I would probably settle down in WY or MT for the summer months if I weren't traveling, and I'd make Las Vegas or Phoenix my winter home.

There would be a lot to flesh out from this basic plan, but that's the general idea.

Now there’s a man with a plan!! Love it Texas T.

I just need the time to do my trip. I’m cheap and could make it happen on a budget. Aspr could sleep on the floor!

This one is easy for me. I’d buy a KTM 690 and ride the Trans-American Trail. Then I’d swap it for something a little more street oriented and ride down the PCH, stopping at anything interesting I found along the way.

I mean, really there’s not a lot to keep me from doing that now except for the fact that my wife would never go for me using that much vacation time to take a trip that didn’t involve her.

Back