• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

In Defense of Harleys

YoDoc

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
There is a conversation I have had, and witnessed, many times. I will dramatise it now:

Me: I like Harleys.

Other guy: What? Why?

Me: I don't know. There's just something about them that is really satisfying.

Other guy: Yeah? They're overweight, underpowered, and don't do corners well. They're based on basically ancient technology and the suspension is set for comfort, not handling.

Me: I know. I still just like them.

Other guy: Why would you ride a bike like that? You wouldn't drive a car like that!

Me: Uh...... Yes I would. As of today, I do!

3a5ec3126760c537e7d236331c7e6dff.jpg

You gonna put some 22 inch rims on her? :)

fwiw, I have a soft spot of all large ford,mercury, Lincoln cars built with the V8, rear wheel drive set up.

Crown Vics came with 302s. Marauders came with 351s. Huge difference in performance.

The 03-04 Marauders came with a supercharged 4.6L. 281 inches. The 69-70s came with a 390 or 427, and the 63-65 could be had with a 390, 406, or 427.

No 351s. ;)

My Town Car has the 4.6, sans supercharger, of course.

Like I said, over weight, under powered, and awesome. :D

fwiw, I have a soft spot of all large ford,mercury, Lincoln cars built with the V8, rear wheel drive set up.
No 22s, lol. I need to fix the radio, and that's about it. One owner, 83k miles. Runs beautiful.

I agree with the V8 rwd setup love. I wanted a Crown Vic a few years ago and almost bought one, but having this one (was my wife's grandfather's) is just too awesome.

No 22s, lol. I need to fix the radio, and that's about it. One owner, 83k miles. Runs beautiful.

I agree with the V8 rwd setup love. I wanted a Crown Vic a few years ago and almost bought one, but having this one (was my wife's grandfather's) is just too awesome.

We "inherited" the Mercury version, they are a nice car! Whoever in the family needs a 2nd car uses it. Works great!

The 03-04 Marauders came with a supercharged 4.6L. 281 inches. The 69-70s came with a 390 or 427, and the 63-65 could be had with a 390, 406, or 427.

No 351s. ;)

The 4.6 in the Marauder had 4valve heads. Don't think it had a supercharger. Those were on Cobras. And Lightnings with the 5.4. There were/are some conversions of course, along with some that added centrifugal blowers.

Lincolns also use the 4valve motor if I remember. Nice ride regardless, congrats.

83k isn't even broken in.
Mine is going on 230k as a daily driver with no real maintenance other than oil, tires, and air freshener.
Ceramic brake pads front and rear on mine are original.

83k isn't even broken in.
Mine is going on 230k as a daily driver with no real maintenance other than oil, tires, and air freshener.
Ceramic brake pads front and rear on mine are original.

What !! ??

You have 230K miles on a set of brake pads for a big heavy automatic vehicle? Guiness Book of World Records needs to be informed.

_

The state of Texas gets 3-400k miles out of the 4.6 motors using re-refined oil (mandated by legislature) changing it every 5K.

And let's just say gov't employees are not known for babying state vehicles. :doh:

side note: it's amazing how many ppl have never heard of the Marauder, great cars.

Greatest cars made. I put 250k on an 01Grand Marquis, drove as good when I sold it as when I bought it, and have a 08 with 100k now. V8 RWD big heavy car that gets 25 mpg, why would you drive a car half the size for a couple of mpg. Another plus, the kids don't borrow it because it's an"old man car".

It gets better mileage than my wife's Toyota minivan!

The 4.6 in the Marauder had 4valve heads. Don't think it had a supercharger. Those were on Cobras. And Lightnings with the 5.4. There were/are some conversions of course, along with some that added centrifugal blowers.

Lincolns also use the 4valve motor if I remember. Nice ride regardless, congrats.
You're right. I had to look it up. Apparently, the prototype they showed at SEMA was supercharged, but the production version was not.

I wonder if I can put a supercharger on this Lincoln.... Lol.

you can do almost anything with enough time and money. nice ride. Smartcars shudder in fear.

No 351s. ;)

No 351s from the factory?????? Maybe that's why it was so hard finding parts in the books.

Your TC looks a sensible ride. Nothing fancy, just comfy and gets you there. I like the big sedans and wagons from ford and GM. Can't say much for Chrysler--every one I had had front suspension issues.

Lots of Marauders tweeked for fun. Saw a 2004 or so with a 490 with 2 Paxtons and an intercooler. Saw another parked right next to it with a Coyote and a Paxton. Owners were sisters. 21st century, you know.

you can do almost anything with enough time and money. nice ride. Smartcars shudder in fear.

All it takes is money. Lots of 1/4 million to 1 1/2 million $$$$ shop built customs and restos running around these days. Way to many people have way too much money these days.

Nice ride, don't drive it to the 'hood. You might get jacked for its "potential".

As for defending HD, I was recently looking at a RK but as I rode the FB6 today, I realized I made the right choice. :trust: Flat Six is awesome and smooth my fillings don't fall out.

First Marauder I ever rode in had the 427. Holy crap.

If you're looking for a car to last you a long time, Crown Vics are great. That's about where their merits end in my book, though.

If you're looking for a car to last you a long time, Crown Vics are great. That's about where their merits end in my book, though.
I love the ride, the room, the size, the V8 smoothness, the looks, just about everything. That's what a car is supposed to feel like. All the new cars ride like go carts and look like video games.

My mother had a as I called it A Battlestar" a 67 Galaxy 500 390 with a hood so long you could land a plane on it. Great date car that's for sure! Just don't tell mom!
The original Marauders back in the 60's had a 429 or 460 I think.
I know I'm dating myself.

First Marauder I ever rode in had the 427. Holy crap.

Some of the FE engines (there were dozens upgraded constantly for racing) were never bested by the 429 and 460 (or 514 crate) engines. Different heads, cams, compressions, even a SOHC version. FT versions were for trucks and featured steel bottom ends instead of iron, so they've been snatched from wreckers for boat engines. A few designed specifically for NASCAR racing were so much more powerful than anything else NASCAR banned them just about as soon as introduced. Now think, if it was in a Marauder, it was probably a wimp version. Imagine one of the all-out versions. YEEHAA!!!!!

I love the ride, the room, the size, the V8 smoothness, the looks, just about everything. That's what a car is supposed to feel like. All the new cars ride like go carts and look like video games.

Agreed! My favorite cars ever were 1970 Cougar XR7 coupes and convertibles. They rode on premium Mustang performance undercarriages but were equipped with extra soundproofing which noticeably quieted and softened the ride and improved hole shots. The 428 Super Cobra Jet engines were my favorite, but aftermarket air conditioning had to be installed because the factory oil cooler was in the way of factory air packages. Axle ratios were 3.90 and deeper, but I'd fit 3.00s and a Doug Nash 4+1 to retain hole shot and function like an overdrive with the FE not turning over 1800rpm at 70mph with 28-inch tires. 22mpg was common with cruise in flat Florida.

Real close was Chevy's version of the Marauder, the 1968 Caprice Classic Coupe with 427. The top 427 was the L88, only available in Corvettes so they didn't last long in junkyards. The L72 was close to the same engine, rated 425hp, but wasn't available in '67. Also, Caprices only came with automatics, so if you wanted a 5-speed, like the Cougars, you had to find a stick SS Impala to get the parts. All the SS Impala performance upgrades were standard on the Caprices with the same engines, so they handled and stopped a bit better. Aftermarket shocks, sway bars, polyurethane bushings, cutting a coil off each spring, and wider wheels and tires made some fine handlers out of those old Caprices and barely bothered their fine ride. A well optioned Caprice could stand with any Cadillac, Lincoln, or Mercedes back then in creature comforts. Actually better than the Cougars in those respects. Sounds like if you ever win the lottery a Caprice coupe or convertible would be an excellent project to pass down to a granddaughter.

Boy, those were the good old days.

My mother had a as I called it A Battlestar" a 67 Galaxy 500 390 with a hood so long you could land a plane on it. Great date car that's for sure! Just don't tell mom!
The original Marauders back in the 60's had a 429 or 460 I think.
I know I'm dating myself.

Ford 390s did not like going fast for very long. They'd tweek the mains and break the cranks if pushed too hard too long. All up ready to run an early iron FE weighed 50 or so pounds less than GM or Mopar products capable of similar outputs, and it showed on long races. Later 427s and 428s did not have such problems with side oiling and when the bottom ends were properly caged. So Ford came out with the 385 engines for big cars and trucks--they can pound all day, but they are not the sprinters the FEs are. The only small car ever offered with a 385 was the 429 Mustang, which were built with 6 cylinders, then shipped to a custom shop for conversion. The front subframes had to be cut out and rewelded 2.5 inches further apart so the valve covers would fit between the spring towers. Funny thing, when Ford started supplying racers with 429s, the racers used them for tow vehicles and went back to the FEs.

Last edited:
Back