• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Inspection Sticker - Location?

I had the inspection sticker on the fork tube on my Thunderbird Sport.

I was never stopped so I don't know how local police would react to that location.

InspStkr.jpg

Mine disappeared off the KLR in Arkansas last weekend. It was under the plate, but even with the plate raised, it can still catch on the rear knobbie. It would be nice to locate it somewhere else.

I'm not sure what you get when you renew the bike, but if it's just the sticker I plan on sticking it on the fork opposite the Texas Off-Road sticker. I think I'm due this July sometime.

Not sure of the legality but Texas LEOs (since I started riding in 1998) get very annoyed if the plate, inspection sticker, and plate light aren't obvious from the back of the bike. If you try to hide any of these you will probably be on a first name basis with all the local popos. :lol:

If you put it on the forks you will spend some time explaining it. When I moved back to TX from VA (where they go on the forks) I got pulled over a lot. The plate tag holders are $5.99 and bolt to your plate. That is the easiest way to stay off the side of the road.

640x480.aspx

Not sure of the legality but Texas LEOs (since I started riding in 1998) get very annoyed if the plate, inspection sticker, and plate light aren't obvious from the back of the bike. If you try to hide any of these you will probably be on a first name basis with all the local popos. :lol:

If you put it on the forks you will spend some time explaining it. When I moved back to TX from VA (where they go on the forks) I got pulled over a lot. The plate tag holders are $5.99 and bolt to your plate. That is the easiest way to stay off the side of the road.

640x480.aspx

How do I get a blank plate? That would be kind of handy!

Do like i did and when you go to get it inspected just take the factory/ dealer plateholder and turn it over, mine was blank on the back side looks much better to me !!!

It's great for running from the Police. Seriously,that was caused by the flash on the camera. :rofl:

When i had my SV the sticker and plate were stored in the compartment under the seat. the one time I got pulled over (for lane splitting) the DPS officer walked around the bike twice, lectured me on lane splitting and sent me on my way. never mentioned the lack of any sticker.
I plan on running mine on the swing arm as soon as I get the XR plated.

for these stickers the number may lead them to the shop, but not the person who inspected it. They may be able to look in the computer though :shrug:

640x480.aspx

Those don't work real well on KLR's if you run a knobby tire. Trust me... :doh:

Those don't work real well on KLR's if you run a knobby tire. Trust me... :doh:

What if you bent the sticker holder more towards horizontal?

Or fabbed something up that holds the sticker to the side of the plate?

Woh, you're alive! :lol2:

What if you bent the sticker holder more towards horizontal?

Or fabbed something up that holds the sticker to the side of the plate?

are you thinking about getting another dirt maa-cheen?

I'm an inspector. This is straight from the DPS book

1. On the Vehicle (Optional). Punch the month of issuance and year of expiration. Remove the certificate’s back paper and attach the certificate face up on the vehicle’s rear fender or any other visible location on the rear near its license plate.

Place the certificate in place and apply firmly. OR

2. Backing Plate (Optional - to be furnished by cycle owner). Punch the month of issuance and year of expiration. Remove the certificate’s back paper and attach the certificate face up on the backing plate which is mounted on the cycle near the license plate for this purpose. Place the certificate in place and apply firmly.

3. Other Provisions - Motorcycles, Motor-Driven Cycles, and Mopeds. Reject the vehicle if no fender or optional location is available for applying the inspection certificate.

Here's my take: (keep in mind that I have LEO friends and do respect them)

If a four-wheeled vehicle, aka a car or truck, has the inspection sticker mounted inside the driver's side of the windshield, how can any LEO, or the rule makers for that matter, insist that on a motorcycle, the inspection sticker must be visible from the rear. On a car, all they can see as they approach from the rear is your license plate. It's not until they get out of their car/off their bike that they have the ability to subsequently locate your registration and inspection stickers. If they have to walk their ***** around to the front of your car, how far of a stretch is it for them to look anywhere on the motorcycle, as long as the owner can point it out to them. We're not talking about sticking it under the oil pan here just to be a jerk, but to have it in any conspicuous area on the bike should be acceptable. I think there should be a stamp or sticker that you can place on your insurance liability card. When you produce that document, they can verify both are current. Can't produce it? Get one of those 'fix it' or 'prove it' tickets that requires you to drop by the station once you locate your evidence that you're not a fee-avoiding scumbag.:-P

Just my $.02

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a leo, mine is in my tool bag rolled up inside my insurance card. My license plate is bolted to my rear fender almost horizontal and is just below my small modified trailer tail light. I have never been pulled over, driven lots of slab and dirt all over texas.

yeah BUT ur an Outlaw LEO... :nana:

...see'n how i'm always ride'n dirty :trust: (no skooter endorsment) i don't want any reason to get pulled over...not to mention my bike looks like a dirtbike...and the additional aluminium inspection sticker plate is also helpful as a mudflap :mrgreen:

:chug:

P.S. Jeff, how's the knee come'n along? ...i prescribe sum dirt ride'n to speed the recovery :rider:

The above quote is right on the money, I used to work as a service manager, and I have been through the class. The state is really starting to buckle down. Not only on the inspection sticker location, but also, plate visibility. Sport bike guys LOVE to tuck that plate so far back, you can't see it at all. Law Enforcement can get the inspection tag serial #, and forward it to inspection team, and they can suspend that dealerships station for a while. You don't make a dime in that anyway, It was a pain in the *****. But it was a way to get new customers in, and sell hard parts to folks who were over due.

I got in trouble several times, because I would look at the bike before I took the money, and let the rider know they would fail due to a tire, or some other issue. Most dealerships wanted to take the money first and go from there. I hated that. Even the state says take the money first. I just wanted them to know what they were in for. Sometimes they would get the work done and thank me, other times they would just go to some other place. Needless to say, I was a terrible service manager. (hardest job I ever had), and that includes 21 years of being in the Army!!!

To bring up an old thread. With Texas doing away with inspection stickers on automobiles will this change stickers on motorcycles too? Would be nice to have inspection and registration all in one!

I think that is a foregone conclusion, but as of yet the "how" has not been published.

oh crap! this is a double edge sword! Those of us that have plated dirt bikes kinda like going down to the local jiffy lube where the knuckle head down there will give you a green sheet without much hassle. Im not so sure that I want the DMV inspecting my bikes to decide if it meets hwy safety standards, or worse yet! Have the state troopers station decide! In some other states, you have to have a state trooper do the inspection (proving it meets State Safety Standards) to convert an Off Road Title to a Street Legal title.

Hmmmmmm. Guess easy dirt bike plating is about to get harder!

oh crap! this is a double edge sword! Those of us that have plated dirt bikes kinda like going down to the local jiffy lube where the knuckle head down there will give you a green sheet without much hassle. Im not so sure that I want the DMV inspecting my bikes to decide if it meets hwy safety standards, or worse yet! Have the state troopers station decide! In some other states, you have to have a state trooper do the inspection (proving it meets State Safety Standards) to convert an Off Road Title to a Street Legal title.

I wouldn't worry too much. I go to a dedicated inspection station every year. The inspection consists of:
- I ride my bike at 20mph and make a quick stop while the inspector watches.
- Check headlights, tail light, horn.
- Check brake lights, with hand and and foot brake separately. Both have to work.
- Inspector probably glances at tires.
- Not even sure if he cares whether or not I have mirrors. He does NOT check blinkers because they're not required.
That's it. In under 10 minutes, I'm on my way.

You can still go to the same bonehead for your insp. The only thing that is changing is you will no longer get a sticker. Its all paperless except for the receipt

I'd like to put the new inspection sticker on the right side of the swing arm, and not have the typical aluminum bracket attached to the license plate. I've seen this done on other's bikes. Has anyone had a problem with the police concerning the location of their inspection sticker?

That's where the sticker on my KLR is located. No LEO issues so far, but I haven't had any "roadside chats" on that bike yet.

Back