• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

July/Aug CDR Ride

I got on that on my GS last year. Only took an hour or so to realize I had made a really really really wroooong turn somewhere and did a 180. It was still sorta fun though.

Y'all have fun. Got word yesterday that the new GSA is on the production line. Even so, if I go with y'all next year it may be on a KTM 690.

Well Sam I just got the call I was dreading, looks like as of now unless there
is a last minute change I am out.

While you guys are suffering through beautiful countryside on motorcycles I will be basking in the wonderment that is Detroit

If you still want to use my friends place in Pagosa to park it will be no issue.

Well Sam I just got the call I was dreading, looks like as of now unless there
is a last minute change I am out.

While you guys are suffering through beautiful countryside on motorcycles I will be basking in the wonderment that is Detroit

If you still want to use my friends place in Pagosa to park it will be no issue.

:thumbd::tears: Well it was a good plan. It may have to change a little now.

Vinny, do you want to try for Pagosa Springs, or somewhere closer. John had said he wanted to go but he will be staying another week after we return, his family is coming up then. So he has to bring his truck and bikes for the family.

Sam

:thumbd::tears: Well it was a good plan. It may have to change a little now.

Vinny, do you want to try for Pagosa Springs, or somewhere closer. John had said he wanted to go but he will be staying another week after we return, his family is coming up then. So he has to bring his truck and bikes for the family.

Sam

PM sent.

Your DRZ will be happy in the mountains.
Maybe I can talk Mrs. C on letting me go orange.
It will be dry by the time we get there, Colorado loves me.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I have plans to be in the same area the week of Aug 2 - 9. So, I contacted Sam about possibly going early and joining you.

The group is now down to 2; I'll make 3. I have to take my own truck for the second half of "my" adventure. I'll be hauling 3 dirt bikes and 5 mountain bikes. I'll be taking my KLR. I have a F150 Supercrew truck.

So, I'll be driving up alone for this CDR ride. My family will only go up for the 2nd week only. They'll meet me up there.

So, I'm going to try to recruit someone else to drive up with me (and join the ride). Or, I'll drive alone and spend the nite in a hotel on the way and meet you guys in Pagosa Springs.

Anyone else out there on the fence and need a push? :-P

Great write up John. PUSH, PUSH! :bigokay:

Someone here is needing a Colorado trip. :ponder:

Lets see, about 840 miles one way, split three ways, lets see, maybe 18 mpg. 46.6 gallons, so if we can find gas at :ponder: $3.50 let's say, $163.33. divided by 3 would be $54.44 each. Divided by 2 is $81.66. Divided by 4 would be 40.83. Now that's cheaper than southwest airlines, and we won't frisk you before you board. :lol2: So someone come along, bring your cousin, he will enjoy it to. :duck:
You can put all your stuff in the truck with us. Heaven knows John has no more room. :shock: So we will split gas three ways in that truck and you can ride along with me or Vinny, and one of us will ride with John, or you can ride in the nice big spacious crew cab first class cabin with John, :pilot:

This is an opportunity that does not come along every day.

One more thing to ponder, Bud's was a non-refundable ticket. So if someone does not go, he will have to pay a penalty. He's a nice guy, no one wants that. Right! :cool2:

Sam

Yes, I would have to agree. :argh: I used that as an incentive to move someone off the couch, or fence as it were.

Sam

Dam, I missed that Bud had dropped out, I was looking forward to getting him a few beers.. Hope you survive Detroit!! We will have other opportunities to meet!! My repaired GPS is suppose to arrive today by UPS, so we should all be set to leave tomorrow!! Cutting it fine..

Gary

Dam, I missed that Bud had dropped out, I was looking forward to getting him a few beers.. Hope you survive Detroit!! We will have other opportunities to meet!! My repaired GPS is suppose to arrive today by UPS, so we should all be set to leave tomorrow!! Cutting it fine..

Gary

Good luck Gary, I received your DOCX file today. I will reveiw it with Vinny in the morning and we will see you somewhere in central Colo. around day 11 or 12. I will bring a picture of Bud and we can set it up next to the camp fire and toast his unwavering devotion to his fellow riders.
The next time we plan to meet on a ride, I will kidnap Bud and drag him with me. :lol2:
I look forward to seeing y'all again. :wave:

Sam

Mrs. C has been keeping track of Thrasher G and his party. They are approching there start point at the Montana/Canada border.
Take off Hoser. Anyone remember that movie... :roll:

Sam

We are in Idaho, have 140 miles to drive to Montana tomorrow and then the ride really begins!! no issues so far, Washington and Idaho are beautiful when the sun shines! Really looking forward to starting the ride for real..

Gary

Mrs. C has been keeping track of Thrasher G and his party. They are approching there start point at the Montana/Canada border.
Take off Hoser. Anyone remember that movie... :roll:

Sam

SPOT device or something else ??

Mrs C, is following our SPOT, so far it has been quite a drama, the first 2 days driving from Seattle to Eureka, Montana went well, the weather was great and we had a beautiful ride. Then things started to go wrong, when we arrived at Eureka, Steve's bike started misbehaving and we found the battery was showing 9 volts!! We put it on charge but it wouldn't take a charge. We could not find the right battery in Eureka, so we had to buy a bigger battery and put it on the rack and extend the wires from under the seat to the rack. That got the electrics running but it seems the alternator is not working so we have bought a battery charger and have to put it on charge every night. Whilst dealing with all the electrical problems we discovered the rear sub frame had cracked!! We bought an electric drill and some bits, pop rivets, aluminum and a saw and we managed to make a good solid repair!! I will get it properly fixed when we get home in 2+ weeks.. Hoping nothing else goes wrong!! The weather is great and Montana is one of the most beautiful states I have visited.. Fingers crossed all goes well and we will meet with Sam and the group in a week or so!!

Gary

Mrs C, is following our SPOT, Then things started to go wrong, when we arrived at Eureka, Steve's bike started misbehaving and we found the battery was showing 9 volts!! We put it on charge but it wouldn't take a charge. We could not find the right battery in Eureka, so we had to buy a bigger battery and put it on the rack and extend the wires from under the seat to the rack. That got the electrics running but it seems the alternator is not working so we have bought a battery charger and have to put it on charge every night. Whilst dealing with all the electrical problems we discovered the rear sub frame had cracked!! We bought an electric drill and some bits, pop rivets, aluminum and a saw and we managed to make a good solid repair!! I will get it properly fixed when we get home in 2+ weeks.. Hoping nothing else goes wrong!! The weather is great and Montana is one of the most beautiful states I have visited.. Fingers crossed all goes well and we will meet with Sam and the group in a week or so!!

Gary

Yes, she noticed you were hanging around that town alot, you must have been really impressed with the Carquest Autoparts. :doh:
We are keeping track, between getting our bikes ready and planning our northern route. See you soon.

Sam

Vinny is going to have to pull some of his mojo out of his bag, I think. :uhoh: 80% chance of rain in Pagosa Springs on Sunday. 40% Wednesday thru Saturday. :storm:
I better get the rain gear out. :eek2:

Tis better to be wet and cold in Colorado, than dry and 100+ in Texas... :ponder:
I may have to think on that for a little while.

Sam

Vinny is going to have to pull some of his mojo out of his bag, I think. :uhoh: 80% chance of rain in Pagosa Springs on Sunday. 40% Wednesday thru Saturday. :storm:
I better get the rain gear out. :eek2:

Tis better to be wet and cold in Colorado, than dry and 100+ in Texas... :ponder:
I may have to think on that for a little while.

Sam

I saw the weather for the area. It usually moves west to east; we might have to stay on the west side to limit the amount we get on us in the afternoons.

Vinny, what's the fast route up there that you were talking about?

Brady, Ballenger or Coleman, Sweetwater, Snyder, Lubbock, Clovis, Santa Fe ... Is this the way you were going. Thats the same way I go to Las Vagas, N.M.

I will be leaving the house about 4:30. I will be at your place before 6:00. I can start driving then you can take over at first gas. I had told John that if he did not find someone, I would switch vehicles every other gas stop to give each of you some nap time.

Bikes are almost ready, just waiting for the air filter to dry on the 530.

56 hours and counting down.

Sam

I go thru Lampasas, Coleman, Snyder, Lubbock, Clovis, Santa Fe, Pagosa; it's the fastest way from 78731.

Are you coming at 6 pm Friday or has the plan changed to you arriving at my house at 6 am Saturday ??
Gets dark there around 20:30 local time. It would be good to try to make it before dark.

I wont need any nap time, I love to drive. If you get bored and want to drive, thats another thing :pilot:

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I'm leaving early on my own tomorrow, pulling an enclosed trailer. I'm stopping in Abiline to buy a used 2014 CRF250L for my 24 year daughter, Christina. She is thrilled! I'm bringing my CRF 230 and my KLR.

I'm driving alone. I tried to find others to go, but could not, but its no big deal. And since I knew I was going out of the way to pick up a bike, I did not want to caravan.

I am no superman driver. I'll stop for the nite maybe in Lubbock or Clovis.

Sam and Vinny, I'll meet you in Pagosa on Saturday.

note: I'm staying 2 weeks. Once Sam and Vinny leave my wife and 2 daughters fly to Denver, take a van to Colo Spgs, and I pick them up there.

This is my 2nd 2-week vacation in almost 20 years. So, I am ready!

We stay in Salida for a week with 5 friends from Austin, all dirt bike riders, and we'll ride all over the mountains around Salida. I'll do both off-road and asphalt on the KLR. My wife does not ride with me much but she enjoys short rides (1 or 2 hours) on the KLR. I'll be looking for some nice and easy off-road riding to show her the mountains. They are super excited.

In fact my week in Salida was planned for about 4 months. Only a few weeks ago I started talking to Sam about going with him since I was up there anyway (with a million other Texans fleeing the heat!)

Back