• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KD-150GKA-2 Buggy issues

h2000fb

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Ramsey
KD-150GKA-2 Buggy issues

OK, not a motorcycle, but still fun.

I want to bounce this problem off some other people. My problem is with a 150cc 2-seat Buggy/Go Kart (Kandi KD-150GKA-2). http://www.kandiusa.com/product_veh.php?id=13

It set for about 6 months with little or no riding, but IT RAN GREAT! NO ISSUES. Then about 4 weeks ago, still RUNNING GREAT, we shredded the belt on the CVT. I replaced the belt and we took off again! While replacing the belt, I discover the throttle was only opening about 85-90%. I fixed that by adjusting the cable. So, this problem may has always been present, but hidden due to not running at full throttle at any point. (Just thought of that- maybe could back off that and see what happens?)

However, now, after your foot stays in it for a minute or two, it starves for gas, acts like it is dropping a cylinder out (it is only a single cyl), and then dies. Give it a count of 10, it will start and run great for awhile.

If you run it without a full open throttle, it does run much longer before it starts this process over. Put around and it seems to run a long time, but you get bored quickly!
After all my work, this is what I think is happening:
- Starving for gas, running the bowl dry.
- It sets for a few seconds and it runs great.
- Full throttle starves and stops.

What I have done:
- Cleaned tank (it was spotless)
- Cleaned Carb. Bowl and jets spotless, like new. Still, I sprayed carb cleaner in all holes and used compressed air
- Installed new fuel filter
- Did NOT clean vacuum operated fuel cock, but did pull hose, turn over and full came out.

What I think I need to try:
- Run a tank directly into carb, gravity feed, no vacuum switch, and see of volume would help. However, no tank. Need to figure something out that I can safely attach to luggage rack and try. If this works, go to manual fuel petcock and see if that fixes it.
- Past that? New Carb? However, at this point do not think it is a carb problem.

Any ideas????? Think I am on the right track?
I keep telling myself, keep it simple stupid - Spark, Gas, Air with correct volumes of each!

Long shot but maybe tank not venting enough to run at full throttle, but enough to run at less than. Might try loosening the cap and run it just to see.

Long shot but maybe tank not venting enough to run at full throttle, but enough to run at less than. Might try loosening the cap and run it just to see.

Think I did that, but will try again in the event my mind is playing tricks on me. However, the does do it within 3-4 min at full open throttle. Should not be enough time to form vacuum, will try anyway.

Never had that particular issue but they are very sensitive to sitting with fuel in the carb. New carb was maybe $20 off ebay.

Never had that particular issue but they are very sensitive to sitting with fuel in the carb. New carb was maybe $20 off ebay.

Really? A new carb for anything along that price is a steal. From most of the suppliers I am seeing carbs at $119+

I have a 1 liter bottle, a fitting to screw in the cap, and will try a straight shot to the carb around the petcock tomorrow.

Are you sure it is starving the carb of gas and not the exact opposite? You might be flooding the thing!

Have you tried adjusting the throttle cable back to 80%? You might do that, then see about leaning out the carb and adjusting the throttle cable a bit at a time.

View order details

New Carb Carburetor 125cc 150cc 125 150 for Honda GY6 125cc 150cc ATV 125 PD24J

Item Id: 172197267811
Transaction Id: 1599571716007
Estimated delivery: Thu. Oct. 6
Quantity: 1
Free Shipping
Paid: $21.94 with Paypal

Seller: parts_links -
Hello brian5138,

Thank you for your purchase of New Carb Carburetor 125cc 150cc 125 150 for Honda GY6 125cc 150cc ATV 125 PD24J with eBay item #172197267811.

If you are satisfied with the item you receive, please take a minute and leave us 5-star positive feedback on all four categories.

However, if there is any problem, please do contact us first before leaving negative feedback. We will work with you to resolve any issues.

Thank you for your business!

parts_links

View order details

New Carb Carburetor 125cc 150cc 125 150 for Honda GY6 125cc 150cc ATV 125 PD24J

Item Id: 172197267811
Transaction Id: 1599571716007
Estimated delivery: Thu. Oct. 6
Quantity: 1
Free Shipping
Paid: $21.94 with Paypal

Seller: parts_links -
Hello brian5138,

Thank you for your purchase of New Carb Carburetor 125cc 150cc 125 150 for Honda GY6 125cc 150cc ATV 125 PD24J with eBay item #172197267811.

If you are satisfied with the item you receive, please take a minute and leave us 5-star positive feedback on all four categories.

However, if there is any problem, please do contact us first before leaving negative feedback. We will work with you to resolve any issues.

Thank you for your business!

Here's one:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-C...item41b3bdee97

parts_links

Wow! This is too cheap to even hesitate about it. If after trying the direct feed gas, if it does not work... Ebay here I come!

THANKS for the lead.

I was not doubting you before as it sounded like you were in the know. It just sounded like an incredibly good deal.

The link you gave me shows Estimated delivery between Tue. Apr. 25 and Tue. May. 2

Not bad...

Ok, fuel petcock not the problem. So, I am waiting on a new carb to come in. We will see! It was too cheap NOT to try it and I have done everything else. ;-)

Thanks for the link Burbo

I have always been able to clean a dirty carb, even the worst of them. This has stumped me but it seems to be the only thing left.:scratch:

OK - Need some new ideas. What am I missing?
Think I have been fairly thorough here, but I have to be missing something.

Starts great, idles great, and runs great for a short time if you are really in it, and then bogs down and eventually dies like it is running out of gas. Sometime if going down long hill with foot off gas, by the time I get to the bottom, it will be idling great and will take off - sometimes.

What I have done:
- Cleaned tank (it was spotless)
- Cleaned Carb. Bowl and jets spotless, like new. Still, I sprayed carb cleaner in all holes and used compressed air
- Installed new fuel filter
- Bought a gas can, put a fitting on it and ran a new hose directly to the carb bypassing the petcock.
- Lastly, bought new carb (too cheap not to), installed, and same problem.

After all this, it starts great, idles great, put foot in it and it runs great, but after a couple of minutes, it dies as though running out of gas.

Turn it off, give it a 15 seconds or so, start it, and it is ready to go. Until it occurs again. Run it easy, and it seems to keep running, or at the very least runs for much longer.

Ideas? I am at a loss.

All of your attention so far is on the fuel system. You might check the valve lash and then look at the ignition system. Your coil or your CDI unit could be breaking down.

check the rubber hose going to the valve below the tank. Not the fuel line, the one going to the engine. On mine, it was actually a fuel pump powered by vacuum pulse off the crankcase. If that hose is cracked it could interfere. The possibility of the coil breaking down is a good idea also.

I felt I had eliminated the Petcock as I ran a new hose from a plastic gas test tank directly to the carb - no value, no fuel filter, nothing - just straight gas.

Since the coil and CDI are so cheap, may try those. However, heat does not seem to be an issue. It really does seem to be a gas issue but between bypassing the entire fuel delivery system and a new carb, I think I can just about rule that out.

Next seems to be a loose connection that just happens to correct itself EVERY TIME you stop, or a bad CDI or Coil which does the same thing. Way too weird.

Valves? Do not know that would cause these symptoms, but ....?

Last edited:
how about the tank not venting?

I eliminated that possibility by bypassing the tank as I wanted to eliminate as many possibilities in one swoop. No venting cap, no petcock, no filter, and no old gas tubing.

The plastic test gas container has a 1/16 open vent hole that is wide open, a straight pass through fitting the hose slips on, and it went straight to the carb via new clear tubing. No value, no filter, no petcock - nothing. Free flow to the carb. Still does it. That only thing left was the carb. So, I installed a new one. Same thing.

I am going to clean all electrical connections on the coil and CDI. Doubt it will do any good, but hey... it is easy to get to so easy to try. Will also clean and possibly relocate the engine's ground wire.

After that, I am lost. New Coil and CDI? Less than $20 for both I think.

Lastly, ed29 suggest: "You might check the valve lash..." Is this something different than checking the valve clearance?? What are the symptoms? I guess this will be added to the list also if that is what it means - set the valves.

Valve lash is an old school term for valve clearance. If one valve is tight, especially an exhaust valve heat can make it not seal, killing the motor. A quick cool down and it could be sealing again. Full throttle operation heats everything up, both mechanical parts and electrical parts.

You have gone through the entire fuel system on the diagnosis that the problem must be in that system. Baseline everything else starting with setting the valves since you have eliminated all of the fuel system components without eliminating the symptom.

A rider I know from Indiana went through this on a motorcycle including buying a new carb. In the end he his problem was the spark plug wire. When it got hot it arced to the head. Cool it down and it ran again. His process of elimination led him there and after replacing it he could see the bad spot.

I know it's a long shot, but I had a problem with my power washer where it would run for almost 5 minutes and die, Afterward, it would start and run almost exactly 1 minute before shutting down. After tearing apart the carb and going through the electrical system, it turned out be simply the spark plug. Evidently when it heated up, it would open up and no more spark.

I know it's a long shot, but I had a problem with my power washer where it would run for almost 5 minutes and die, Afterward, it would start and run almost exactly 1 minute before shutting down. After tearing apart the carb and going through the electrical system, it turned out be simply the spark plug. Evidently when it heated up, it would open up and no more spark.

Cheap enough to try - thanks

Back