• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Kerrville to Bastrop and back

Reaction score
From Kerrville, I made a bee-line for Bastrop this morning. Met up with a non-riding friend and we spent the day gabbing, munching, doing a little shopping, then more gabbing and more munching. All too soon, it was time for me to scoot back home.

I took a leisurely route back. From Bastrop, I crossed I35 at Kyle, skirted Wimberley, hooked up with FM 473 and truly enjoyed that road all the way to Comfort. Hwy 27 carried me the rest of the way to K-ville.

I’d never ridden 473 before, but I’ll look forward to riding it again. Nothing hugely exciting, just a very pleasant road with nice scenery. (As I’m sure many of you can testify.)

Passing thru a small town like Sisterdale at the end of the day when most everyone is indoors, probably eating their dinner … enjoying sunlight glint sideways thru leafy trees…it was nice.

I should have left Bastrop earlier in the day, to avoid frolicking Bambies and having the setting sun in my eyes. These factors and a freshly resurfaced road with loose gravel on top kept my speed down and my eyes roving.
But still made it home just before full-on dark. Yay!

There is a Kendall county park not far east of Comfort that warrants some exploring. Perhaps another day I’ll pack a lunch and walking shoes and explore the park. That’s as good excuse as any to ride that way again, isn’t it?

(The park is not very far away, I might have to “accidentally” overshoot the entrance. And then it might be a while before I come to a suitable place to turn around in……)

If any of y’all are out this way on any given Sunday or Monday….lemme know and off we’ll go!

Sounds like a fine Sunday ride.

While exploring out that way, where 473 goes South on 281, I prefer to go West on 101 for a delightful paved back road that meanders through a few ranches.

101 takes you back to 473, and avoids that short stretch of 281 South.

If you have a little time to spare, off 101 turn North on Crabapple Rd. and follow it up to 1888 for more of the same windy paved goodness passing through a number of ranches.

I should have left Bastrop earlier in the day, to avoid frolicking Bambies and having the setting sun in my eyes.

What do cheerleaders and girls who can't finish a sentence without saying "like" at least twice have to do with Bastrop? ........... :ponder: Oh, you mean deer. :brainsnap

Seriously, sounds like a great ride.

Like, gee Tim, I thought a fellow rider like yourself would totally, like, get it, you know?

Sounds like a fine Sunday ride.

While exploring out that way, where 473 goes South on 281, I prefer to go West on 101 for a delightful paved back road that meanders through a few ranches.

101 takes you back to 473, and avoids that short stretch of 281 South.

If you have a little time to spare, off 101 turn North on Crabapple Rd. and follow it up to 1888 for more of the same windy paved goodness passing through a number of ranches.

Thanks, MotoTex. notes taken, i'll try those. That sounds great.

From Comfort to Kerrville, try out Cypress Creek Road (1341, not to be confused with 1431).

From Comfort to Kerrville, try out Cypress Creek Road (1341, not to be confused with 1431).

Yes, that's a great road. RockmanTex led us down that road the weekend of the Strom-a-Thon. It makes for a fun jaunt on weekdays after work.

Wanted to be home before dark so didn't take it last night.

Back