• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lane Splitting SB506 [mega merge]

Reaction score
lets see...

List of places that allow lane splitting:
Australia
Austria
France
Italy
The Netherlands
South Africa
United Kingdom
United States (only the states listed below)
California
Texas

So to whoever posted about lane sharing/splitting/whatever is legal, yes you are right because i think you were from california. texas recently allowed it but thats it.

Yorad, who said anything about bragging?

Anybody know anything about this

Re: Lane Splitting

It is not legal in Texas..there was a bill introduced in the last session but it died in committee. There are a few threads on here about it, one of the members here worked for the legislator that introduced it.

bluedogok said:
It is not legal in Texas..there was a bill introduced in the last session but it died in committee. There are a few threads on here about it, one of the members here worked for the legislator that introduced it.

thats what i thought... i didn't know if they reviewed it with the castle doctrine..

I've read its not legal in California either, but is not enforced.

It is not legal in the UK.

The cops will enforce it, but speeding tickets are better money makers.

whoa said:
I've read its not legal in California either, but is not enforced.

I've read it's not "illeagal" either. Some kinda fine line between the two and how a cop is feeling when he sees it.:rider:

The first person that I ever saw lane splitting in California was a CHP on a BMW RT-P on I-5 in Sacramento.

it is legal in Ca. i did it all the time . heck even all the older guy on goldwing's would do it . the chp & lapd would even let you go by,

Calgary-Yogi said:
It is not legal in the UK.

The cops will enforce it, but speeding tickets are better money makers.

when i went to london a few years ago, all the scooter and motocycles lane spit in the thickest and fastest traffic
not to mention at traffic lights they all file to the front turning a 3 lane one way into 7 lane one way [a bike bewteen the cars, and between the cars and curb]

punk_emo_tx said:
So is anybody splitting lanes in Texas.
I have a couple times, but don't make a habit out of it.

I was in a hurry and traffic was stopped, so through I went. in ~10mi of traffic, I had one person honk at me. several even moved over for me.

I've contemplated it a couple times since then and decided I wasn't in a rush, so why tick people off AND leave myself open for a ticket.

I'll split once its legal

punk_emo_tx said:
So is anybody splitting lanes in Texas.

I've been tempted to do it several times in heavy loop 610 traffic, but afraid i'd get a door or someone with roadrage on me :giveup: I just go with the flow for now. :yawn:

Even if they do pass it in TX, I wouldn't do it without a massive PR campaign to edumecate the good 'ol boys (and soccer mom SUVs)

don't need to out here. but yes in the big city if they have a massive campign to get everyone aware .

I am afraid of it around here... all the pickups and SUVs, someone gets ticked off and I am splattered on the door...

I'd rather get off the road and ride there or take a shortcut if possible, there are a few places where it is LOL, but I do have a dualsport. :)

Tracker said:
... edumecate the good 'ol boys (and soccer mom SUVs)

:rofl: :mrgreen: :lol2: :haha: :shock: :brainsnap :nana: :huh: :shrug: :whatever: :eek: :lol: :scratch: :loco: :roll:

Edumacate a soccer mom. BWAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAA!!!!! You'll have to have the cell phones surgically removed from their ears first.

mikeintx said:
it is legal in Ca. i did it all the time
Mike, the previous poster was correct; Lane Splitting in CA is not illegal, yet it is not specifically legal. Therefore the fact that you did it and the CHP allowed it just meant that you were doing it in a reasonably safe manner. Calif is the one known state that doesn't specifically make this an illegal act. I don't like the state for too many reasons to go into, but in this area they are far ahead of their time.

I've done it a few times in Texas and had no problems. My first time was coming thorugh Austin on a weekday at rush hour. I was following a friend of mine that lives in LA. He couldn't take it anymore and shot up the middle. I followed... :mrgreen:

So...my understanding is the guy that helped put together the proposed legislation last year has now moved out of state. Does anyone know someone that can get this ball rolling again? Are we too late to do anything for this session? I would love to see lane sharing legal in Texas, especially when its 2 bazillion degrees outside.

Anyone?

The lanes and drivers in Dallas are not a good mix for lane-splitting. I was in completely stopped traffic on the high five in Dallas and tried a split and a car saw me coming and tried to close the opening just as I got there. His only intent was damage & injury as he did this fast and timed it for the last moment. He did not get me, but it pissed me off.

I left Massachusetts in 1986, but used to lane-split in Boston daily. I never knew of the legality of it, but the Boston MC Cops (all on Harleys) did it regularly and had no problem when other bikers joined the line! The cagers were very co-operative back then, which was surprising as they are very cut-throat against other cagers!

Have a great weekend, y'all!

l8rg8r said:
So...my understanding is the guy that helped put together the proposed legislation last year has now moved out of state. Does anyone know someone that can get this ball rolling again? Are we too late to do anything for this session? I would love to see lane sharing legal in Texas, especially when its 2 bazillion degrees outside. Anyone?
Cycle Cat moved to NM and the legislator that he was working for retired. The legislator introduced the legislation at CC's behest; it never got out of committee so there really isn't a lot of interest in this on the part of the legislature as a whole.

Meeting once every two years means they really need to prioritize what the most important legislation needs to be that session (or take care of the best campaign fund donors - whichever comes first). ;-)

Yes, it is too late to do something this year. If you want to push this, you need to start working your magic now so that it's a viable campaign that they can all get behind in the next session.

So, once all the bikes have moved up to the front of the line, what happens when the light turns green? Is it a full throttle race off the line? It might look like some of the videos of traffic in Asia where there are hundreds of bikes weaving in and out of traffice at will. Doesn't seem very safe to do that here. :shrug:

Back