• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Let's Talk Welding Machines

Something tells me this guy's been at this for a while:

845881706_wnY2U-M.jpg

Watch out for when your laying down welding for some reason BB's like to find the ear canal and all you here is sizzle really loud.

Very good point. I know quite a few welders that always wear ear protection for that very reason.

all this talk has me looking at craigs list to try and find a good one cheap to put in the garage. Don't be surprised if you get a call from my wife :lol2:

next on the list was the Northern tool industrial 125 flux core welder. a much better put together machine it has all metal for the feed roller system that pushes the wire down the cable.
Thanks for pointing this welder out. I'd not seen it and think I'll pick up the MIG 135.

An excellent thread.

Seen on Broadway Ave, San Antonio Today:

846387860_5kRL2-XL.jpg

It's National Welding Month (apparantly)

Free Shiner Bock and beef filet (and guacamole of course) at my house!

Probably Starting With This:

860452249_fGqKo-L.jpg

This is the way I'm leaning. At least to start.

There's no way I'll catch up to the welding czars in this thread, but at least I'll try to get my foot in the door, so to speak.

So you're sayn' wife aint going to get squat out of you the rest of the weekend. :lol2:

Not Yet Released

860460299_ac6Wo-M.jpg

Amazon is set to release this any day now....

It certainly fits my classification :sun:

Make sure to pick up an 11# spool of wire, you'll burn through that sample spool in no time.

tackit.gif

Re: Probably Starting With This:

There's no way I'll catch up to the welding czars in this thread, but at least I'll try to get my foot in the door, so to speak.

The actual technique to MIG is really easy. Heck I can bring over any guy in our warehouse and within 5 minutes I can have him welding a perfect looking bead. It's the machine settings that will drive you nuts. And it's not like there are a ton of different things to pick from, but for some reason it takes a long time to remember what settings are good for certain applications.

The biggest difference I can see (without really spending a ton of time looking at them) is that the Miller unit gives a true variable Amperage setting while on the Hobart you get your choice of 4 presets. My MIG unit has five presets and I would probably consider that the minimum that I would want to have. With 4 you are always going to be chasing that setting that is just a little bit cooler or just a wee bit hotter, I think...LOL

One thing to remember... buy your welding machine at a welding shop if you can. There are small but very important differences between the machines at Northern, Lowes, HD, and the ones at the welding shop.

What differences are you referring to between a Miller 140 bought on line at Cyberweld... bought in house at AirGas or bought at a bigbox hardware store?
Same model, same manufacture, same assembly line?

I know computer manufactures build and market Big box store specific models,,, but I have not noticed that in welders..

What am I missing???

One thing to remember... buy your welding machine at a welding shop if you can. There are small but very important differences between the machines at Northern, Lowes, HD, and the ones at the welding shop.

What differences are you referring to between a Miller 140 bought on line at Cyberweld... bought in house at AirGas or bought at a bigbox hardware store?
Same model, same manufacture, same assembly line?

I know computer manufactures build and market Big box store specific models,,, but I have not noticed that in welders..

What am I missing???

If you bought yours online from Cyberweld, then you did buy it from a welding shop (albeit, an online welding shop, but a welding shop nonetheless). Also none of the big box stores that I've seen carry Miller, so take this for what it is..

You can buy a Lincoln180 from Lowes, and also from AirGas but there is a $150 price difference. The difference is that the regulator is American from the welding store model, and you get complete control of your amperage. That may not sound like much, but there is also one other minor thing that can cause a headache. The fittings on the regulator as well as the back of the machine are not SAE fittings. They are an SAE pipe size, but with metric threads twisted on them. So if you ever have a gauge fail, or a hose start leaking, good luck on finding a replacement. You welding shop doesn't carry them, and even a specialty gauge shop here in DFW told me I was SOL when looking for a replacement.

Bear in mind that the model numbers look almost identical but there is usually a letter, or a number added to the back of the HD, or Lowes welders.

It just helps to really, REALLY check the model numbers before you buy. It may mean the difference between frustration or ease of repair, years down the road.

Ok, well I've never noticed that before..

I'll have to go look next time I'm at a big box HD store.

Not even sure a welding shop would stock a entry level 120v flux core welder...so my question to your statement may not have even been valid. :-D

I'm very happy with my Hobart IronMan 250, an an Older 120v Miller 125 Both have OEM supplied regulators.. Smith brand on both.

Good to know there are econo sub models being sold though discount resellers :thumb:

Another reason for buying local at a welding shop: Most will hook up your welder and give you a 15-20 minute lesson in how to use it/do the setup.

Not even sure a welding shop would stock a entry level 120v flux core welder...so my question to your statement may not have even been valid. :-D

You would be quite surprised what they do carry. I've seen everything from tiny little wire feed setups for less than $500, to $10000+ TIG units. All in stock and ready for me to win the lottery so I can buy them.;-)

Back