• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lone Star Loop (2,180 DS loop)

Love to hear your feedback afterwards. I really started deep diving into this one yesterday and am finding it is predominately asphalt. I know a lot of places in a 100 mile radius to me went of paving sprees during covid so that may play part into it but the bulk of the southern section has been asphalt for a long time. In process of building a route based on this to eliminate a lot of the pavement but it's also going to cut milage down.
If that's the case I'll bail on this loop. I'm not interested in riding 2500 miles of asphalt. I'm struggling with the amount of gravel roads...looking for more 2 track and unmaintained roads that will have difficult sections. Only reason I was looking at this was that it was south so would be warmer in Late Feb/Early March. I'd like to do a BDR but none close enough that are warm enough in late winter/early spring. May have to do some more research and go to southern Arkansas. Big Bend is OK but I've done it a couple times and want to try something new. You have any recommendations?

If that's the case I'll bail on this loop. I'm not interested in riding 2500 miles of asphalt. I'm struggling with the amount of gravel roads...looking for more 2 track and unmaintained roads that will have difficult sections. Only reason I was looking at this was that it was south so would be warmer in Late Feb/Early March. I'd like to do a BDR but none close enough that are warm enough in late winter/early spring. May have to do some more research and go to southern Arkansas. Big Bend is OK but I've done it a couple times and want to try something new. You have any recommendations?

Feel free to PM to discuss. Obviously jerrybo put a tremendous effort in this route and did a fantastic job. I definitely don't want to distract from everything he has put in and all of his work. I just personally prefer more dirt, as close to no asphalt as possible which isn't easy in Texas at all and like you, looking for options soon that summer where I am also not going to be cold the whole time.

Feel free to PM to discuss. Obviously jerrybo put a tremendous effort in this route and did a fantastic job. I definitely don't want to distract from everything he has put in and all of his work. I just personally prefer more dirt, as close to no asphalt as possible which isn't easy in Texas at all and like you, looking for options soon that summer where I am also not going to be cold the whole time.
Ya man, no disrespect at all in the loop and certainly not the hard work that has gone in to creating it, I’m just a dirt guy. Everyone has their preferences and none are wrong, just what’s right for them. I’ll PM you and let you know about a ride I’m trying to put together to replace this one.

Back