• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

looking like a dummy (again)

So..... why are you guys pimping off my thread?

I did chains yeeeears ago; back when a trip across the United States on my little Honda 550 SS wore the chain out before I got to California (from Boston). Not so these days..... my Bandit now has 24,000 miles and the chain & sprockets look great (???). Could it be the frequent WD-40 cleansing, the Kerosene cleaning every 10,000 miles, or the Dupont w/Teflon chain lube?

I did BMW and it's shaft for 60,000 miles..... and sold it before I had final drive failure. I liked having the blue & white marquee, but failed to buy an extended warranty.... a (not entirely unknown) final drive failure woulda broke MY bank!

My Harley (XL1200'S') had belt drive; didn't hafta do ANYTHING to it during the 40,000 miles I had the Sporty. Belt drive is wonderful!

Anyways...... I fully expect to hafta give over $225 for a sexy DID Gold chain, factory front sprocket w/buffer, and a rear sprocket. Whats to discuss? If you gotta RIDE, you gotta pay. Doing what ya love don't come cheap(ly).
:rider:

There ya go, AGAIN!! We need to work on vocabulary!!:mrgreen:
Did you take heed of my suggestions??

Truth be told ET Walli,
I haven't had anything in my life (for about 20 years now) that even closely resembles that which I see in such things as.... a Gold motorcycle chain.

I live a sheltered (read, 'safe') life.

So..... why are you guys pimping off my thread?

I did chains yeeeears ago; back when a trip across the United States on my little Honda 550 SS wore the chain out before I got to California (from Boston). Not so these days..... my Bandit now has 24,000 miles and the chain & sprockets look great (???). Could it be the frequent WD-40 cleansing, the Kerosene cleaning every 10,000 miles, or the Dupont w/Teflon chain lube?
:rider:

You had a 550 also? That was my 1st real road bike..1974..rode that thing from Fla-duh to Wyoming one summer..back across to Minnesota and into Canada before heading home. Really nice bike for it's time..and a reason I will never again have tube tires. :eek2:
Shotrod

You can see the bright orange 550 in the background, what you don't see is the white cafe' fairing and the foot high sissy bar to which I strapped my sleeping bag. It was on this trip that a piece of bark flew off a logging truck, hitting me across my full-face face shield, knocking me off the handlebars and against my secured sleeping bag. It was also on this trip that, while riding across Canada, we heard of The Duke passing away..... God bless ya John Wayne.

Yeah, that's me with the blond hair.... weighing in at 100 pounds less than my current 230. D'OH!

aam.jpg

wanaETwilliGURU,
I wish I would have read about adjusting on the side-stand before I tackled it again..... good enough for the manual, good enough for me.

But swapping the axel around?
That makes a ton-o-sense 'cause that's where the bigger/fatter round end is....
OPPOSITE of where the tightening chain is! It's no wonder the two ends of the swingarm are tightening together!
Now.... is it as simple as swapping the axel around? or are there any other mod's? does it fit without having to do anything else? just put the nut in place and tighten it?!? DUDE, I gotta go out and look at my bike!!!

I LIKE IT!

Next time I put my bandit on the bench, I'll turn the axle around just to find out if it is a difference.

Also, kinda like Fifty on the BMW driveshafts. 50,000+ miles on two different GS's ('95 R11GSa , '02 R1150GSa ) and 24,000 on a '97 R11Ra and never a driveshaft problem. The dealer and dealer distance and increasing prices bought me back Metric, not the rear drive problems.

Fitty and Andy: turning the axel around[yes it just slips in from other side] causes the torque to NOT cause chain to tighten since it is now rotating in a direction to keep the axel AGAINST the locator plates instead of pushing it away causing it to tighten the chain. Thanks to my son[on TLPlanet].....he has a Suzuki TL1000S/R...lottsa mods
PS: Fitty, glad you went back and re-read!

Got this for my weekend project. http://www.drivesystemsusa.com/p/384915/did-525vm2-chain-and-sprocket-set-suzuki-dl-650-v-strom-04-06.html I have 22k miles on the original and noticed a binding link. Chain tool from this place. http://www.mikesxs.net/products-7.html?category_id=7.1 Part # 35-0006. If you order their IZUMI chain, the tool is only $25. Both the chain/sproket set and the tool shipped very quickly. Went to one of the V-Strom forums and searched "chain replacement" for tips on removing the old chain and sprokets and installing the new ones. Several people on those forums suggested turning the axel around.

Back