• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MC Camping on the Cheap

Swoody is exactly right. A fire jack is a set of grates to hold something up above a fire.

In the last picture from the link to the story, a fire jack is shown with wood ashes under it, and a pan sitting on the stand.

Attached is a advertisement lifted from the same May 1916 edition of "Recreation" that the story came from.

GREAT FIND!

and does confirm my suspicions

some of the guys over on BUSHCRAFTUSA have created a nice folding grate but it would take up more space in your kit, than this one

aint this fun?!

sw

Most public campsites, of course, now have a cement or metal fire ring with a grate across it. But you're right - still does no good when 3/4 of NM is under a burn ban.

DecBan.png

an interesting point to consider, when camping in a BURN BAN county, is that many exempt CHARCOAL GRILLS

a wise individual would verify it w/ the local FD before striking the match

i know, here in the CITY OF DENTON, we have been allowed to use our heavy iron smokers and wood fired backyard grills, during a BAN

worth checking out b4 you travel and plan to camp in a BAN county

worth consideration

sw

my remembery is slowing down...

just thought about a system i've seen & duplicated, though never used YET

the GRILLIPUT with a steamer basket under it for holding the charcoal and reflecting the heat upwards

5047870417_zpsb0750a8d.jpg

SADLY, it aint cheap

here'z a short video on it

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBBteJ2JgMk"]UCO Grilliput Portable Camping BBQ Grill & Firebowl - YouTube[/ame]

personally, i would have let the coals turn white b4 placing food over them

sw

ya better get that thing all assembled before the third beer! i can just see those little parts rolling away...hiding under rocks...

:rider:

Your google-fu is strong, Grasshopper.

I spent a fair amt of time also searching but with no such success

my remembery is slowing down...

just thought about a system i've seen & duplicated, though never used YET

the GRILLIPUT with a steamer basket under it for holding the charcoal and reflecting the heat upwards

5047870417_zpsb0750a8d.jpg

SADLY, it aint cheap

here'z a short video on it

UCO Grilliput Portable Camping BBQ Grill & Firebowl - YouTube

personally, i would have let the coals turn white b4 placing food over them

sw

You've done it now. All the campers will be rushing off this morning to find something close to this set up. I like it. Bet a grill could be found cheap and just take off with the better halves kitchen baskets.:trust:

AND for the CHEAPSTEAK/DIY guys, here'z one from my chuck wagon community

not as light weight, but most anyone can make their own w/ some solid rod, a vise and a hammer

cowboygrill2_zpsd0e798a0.jpg

the 6-piece frame is made of 4-uprights & 2-horizontals

add as many grill cross bars as suit you

you can still use the bride's steamer basket for charcoal, if there'z a FIRE BAN in place

I have this grill but almost never carry it. Like Tim says, almost every park has a fire ring or BBQ pit. It is about $8 at Academy and does work well.

10091141.jpg

Speaking of cheap, I have access to a lot of mesquite wood and am moving away from charcoal. You have to start the fire early but the coals last longer. Doing the old man fire wood trick - instead of splitting logs I just chainsaw thinner width wood that does not need splitting.

Most campsites now discourage or even fine those that use fallen wood so this is another good reason to trailer the bike to the campsite and ride from base camp. Then you have room to carry wood.

Speaking of cheap, I have access to a lot of mesquite wood and am moving away from charcoal. You have to start the fire early but the coals last longer. Doing the old man fire wood trick - instead of splitting logs I just chainsaw thinner width wood that does not need splitting.

Most campsites now discourage or even fine those that use fallen wood so this is another good reason to trailer the bike to the campsite and ride from base camp. Then you have room to carry wood.

Ah, mesquite. What, in my family, we lovingly refer to as "firewood on the hoof."

Go to Aliexpress.com and type in camp stove, it's like cheapskate heaven in there. I can't vouch for quality but the wife has ordered a thing or two with success. I have found the elusive wood burning one in there but I need to find the post with the video and compare them. I may also be misremembering where I saw the OP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am still waiting to hear from anyone who can make bread from flour while camping.

Heck, I have a bread machine and can't even get that right!

I am still waiting to hear from anyone who can make bread from flour while camping.

Heck, I have a bread machine and can't even get that right!

try baking ready made biscuits in a dutch oven

once you get that down, then start working on your dough making skills

the baking is more of a trick than the dough making

or try making PAN DE CAMPO

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=1CD8E441106900FFB4031CD8E441106900FFB403

whatever you do, DON'T GET THIS STUFF ANYWHERE NEAR ANY MOLASSES OR HONEY :eek2: :eat:

sw

Too much work for me if you have to roll the dough. I'll bet that Stuart stove guy just adds water and stirs it all up and cooks it. That would be up my alley.

Just get one of those Betty crocker ready make biscuits. Just add water iirc. Then cook. If you want to jazz it up, eggs don't need refrigeration... Get some jiffy cornbread mix to go with your canned black eyed peas with ham added.

I have now added a new definition of "jack" to my vocabulary. Good find and very creative on that jack kit on Bushcraft. It looks simple and small. I don't think I would cook a burger on it without a pan and a hot dog would only be a sacrifice to the fire gods.

Can't see images of the backyard biscuits without registering.

Last edited:
Back