• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Moto Guzzi is doing what?

Reaction score
Cycle World is speculating that Moto Guzzi will introduce an entry level bike based on the Aprilia RS 457. If that's the case, it's very disappointing. What say you TWT?

DC4XZXK7JFFRNCPK3UGU6XQXKI.jpg

Motorcycle manufacturers have to find ways to make those entry level bikes cheap enough for the beginner to afford. When they are ready to trade up, they'll already be brand loyal and will hopefully (For Moto Guzzi) will stay with the brand.

I wouldn’t get too excited over this. Although know today for V-twins and shaft drive, Guzzi has a history of different engine configurations from one to eight cylinders.

-Jeff
As you said they have a "history". Why revert back?

But I get it. Their cheapest bike, the V7 Stone, starts at $9000. You won't get a newly designed 450cc sideways V and a shaft designed by MG for less than that, especially since the new aircooleds for 2024 are going up in price due to eliminating the pushrods and going to OHV shim under buckets to accomodate VVT design. There's not a whole lot of power in the 850 engine as it is so imagine taking 400cc away, you'd be looking at 30-35 HP at best before the shaft setup robs 15% of it.

So a rebadged Aprilia P2 and chain is what it takes to offer a less expensive bike that meets emmissions like Euro5+.

Motorcycle manufacturers have to find ways to make those entry level bikes cheap enough for the beginner to afford. When they are ready to trade up, they'll already be brand loyal and will hopefully (For Moto Guzzi) will stay with the brand.
The problem with staying brand loyal to MG after owning a 457cc P2 for a couple years is that the buyer probably won't move up to an air cooled 850 as their next jump. The next price point for a liquid cooled twin MG starts at $15,000 as of today. So, that's a pretty big jump.

There are those who care deeply about "heritage" and, by extension, brand loyalty. Then there are those who couldn't care less, as long as the product appeals to the buyer. Past experiences might have caused me to like certain engine configs and cylinder counts,. However, at the end of the day, if a bike comes along and just tickles my every fancy, I could care less if it is has 3-1/2 cylinders, with a semi-stochastic firing order, and coupled to a warp final drive.

I'm glad Ducati finally saw the light on this issue and diversified into V4 in a big way. I hope this new Guzzi is a sign that the decision makers at Piaggio Group also realize that these self-imposed "heritage" handcuffs are rather pointless, as they stifle innovation and creativity.

Meanwhile, HD continues to struggle with their "heritage". It's so engrained in their corporate DNA and dealer network, I don't see them digging themselves out of that.

Why is it disappointing?
To me it's not. I say this as a long time Guzzisty (sp?) As trends change and Guzzi has in the past; they must now as well. Witness Harley and the ADV and the 400ish. Why change? They are dying.. Im currently an 850tt owner and am probably the only guzzi rider in the Tx panhandle... looking for others.

BMW 310 is made in India. KTM 390 made in India or the Philippines. They both do this to reduce cost. As a long time rider, I can appreciate manufacturers having to reduce costs to get an entry level bike at a price point that makes sense. Some brands (Royal Enfield), start in a country with low manufacturing costs. If you look at where a lot of these bikes were designed to go, it's in places where the average person makes less in a year than most of us make in a couple of months. The fact that they have started selling these bikes in the EU and North America is a bonus for us because they can be at the price point young and newer riders (regardless of age) can afford to spend on motorbikes. I get it's not their normal DNA for some brands, but if you want to grow your brand, you can't continue doing things the same way year after year. Just ask HD... They keep trying new things, but I'm really not sure they are working. In fact, that's a brand I would argue has such a hard time breaking out of the mold they developed for themselves that when they do try new things, people like myself are skeptical they will continue with them (and their history with new things doesn't help). The Livewire is a great bike, but they had to spin that off to try to get away from the HD brand. The Pan America sold like hot cakes, but based on looking a various forums sold primarily to the HD crowd.

I think it's OK for brands to try new things, they have to if they want to survive. How successful they are at that is another story entirely.

Some 30 years ago a Euro moto magazine did an interview with the head of the BMW Motorcycles division about BMW motos impressive past history and future goals. At the end of the lengthy interview, the last question was "Which was your favorite moto?" He replied "My favorite moto of all time was my Moto Guzzi 850 when I was in college."
... His career with BMW was short. :rolleyes:

Back