• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My first (and NOT last) trip to Big Bend Ranch & State Park 12/28/11-01/01/12

:tab I recall a pretty long hill climb on the run out to Chorro Vista. I guess with the really low seat height of the CT 90, it would be easier to just paddle walk the bike up if it has enough low end grunt to keep going? Sure seems like that wouldn't be much fun though... :shrug:

It does have a switch to put it into ulta-low gears where it can put all 8 horses to work. ;-)

If you just want to "Smell the Roses" inn BBRSP your gonna be terribly disappointed!

No Roses in the Park! I don't think.:lol2:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgFr7sBxuF8"]Offroading in Big Bend Ranch State Park - YouTube[/ame]

:ponder:

:ponder: that doesn't look like one of the approved and open roads. Looks more like trailblazing and a bad thing for everyone. Not cool if that's the case.

I have been waiting for someone to tell me it is a bad idea to use the ct90 on BBSP but no one bit. There are some hills in this thread that is fairly aggressive and I would just choose to pass on most of those. Does this mean I can't get around the park on the ct? I just want to smell the roses.

A better than average rider can go anywhere there that I've seen but you better have two CT90's and a buddy to ride with. Because you don't want to even think about riding there alone and nobody else will want to ride that slow with you unless they are also on a CT90. Famous King Kong Hill and others...meeh I've made it up hills like before that on my old Honda CL70. Slow and steady does just fine if you keep traction. But if you're a 250 lb rider bogging down the CT90 then maybe not.

Why not take the SL350 in your signature line? You'll have more fun on that bike.

_

A better than average rider can go anywhere there that I've seen but you better have two CT90's and a buddy to ride with. Because you don't want to even think about riding there alone and nobody else will want to ride that slow with you unless they are also on a CT90. Famous King Kong Hill and others...meeh I've made it up hills like before that on my old Honda CL70. Slow and steady does just fine if you keep traction. But if you're a 250 lb rider bogging down the CT90 then maybe not.

Why not take the SL350 in your signature line? You'll have more fun on that bike.

_

I will take the sl350 but only as a backup ride. The SL has never had its rubber cam chain tensioner replaced and I fear a catastrophic breakdown in a very remote area of BBSP. I rode it on long drives last year but was never far from getting quick help if needed. I am trying to secure a second engine to rebuild cause I hate tearing down anything that is running so well that could end up sitting a couple of years for repairs.

The CT90 choice is cause I like to go slow and will be with another slow rider. Half of an adventure like this is getting ready and I have already done brakes and new rear tire and brush bars. The ct90 has a worldwide cult following and I admit I am part of that cult. Anything I might do at BBSP is nothing compared to some ct90 ride reports.

In the meantime I am still watching the DR and KLR bikes going for cheap, cheap. One of these I just might pounce on.

I think Honda stopped making CT and SL twenty years ago. They're almost antiques.

I was a little worried when I showed up at Big Bend with my 10-year-old XR200 and saw everyone had almost new bike. My bike has been reliable, but there's a reason people ride new bikes. Imagine trying to extract a broken down bike when deep into the desert on class-3 trails and the major inconvenience that'll cause to other people in the group because you're too cheap to buy new.

I think Honda stopped making CT and SL twenty years ago. They're almost antiques.

I was a little worried when I showed up at Big Bend with my 10-year-old XR200 and saw everyone had almost new bike. My bike has been reliable, but there's a reason people ride new bikes. Imagine trying to extract a broken down bike when deep into the desert on class-3 trails and the major inconvenience that'll cause to other people in the group because you're too cheap to buy new.

New bikes brake too!

Unless you are trying to sell the CFO on a new bike.
If so, I would never leave home on a bike over two years old!
Not even to the store much less out in the middle of the Desert!

Sl350 ended its run in 1973. The CT is still being produced but I get the message and the bike is a 1975 build.

Don't worry about the group, the other rider is on a similar era/power bike.

You are right about the cheap part but riding vintage is not as cheap as you might think. There are enough like me that I don't ride alone. You really have to remember that a lot of people don't like to go fast, were brought up fixing their machines 100% of the time, and have broken down enough to bring all the parts. They also pass on the bigger challenges and choose alternate paths.

There would not be modern dirt bikes if vintage streets bikes were not used as off-road bikes.

The reason for most extractions out of the desert is due to crashes. New bikes crash just as often as the old ones, actually they probably crash more. Either the bike gets broken up and unrideable or the rider is too injured to ride out. Most mechanical breakdowns can almost always be patched up one way or another and limped out. And that's why we always ride in groups so one or two can stay with the downed rider and the remainder of the group can go on and enjoy the ride.

_

Let's see, this old bike is being takin' off of trailer, so new 2012 $9K Husaburg can be loaded. XR is still running, Hussy is being dropped off at the dealer Tuesday.

Big_Bend_2012_025_twt.jpg

The reason for a new bike has very little to do with dependability. ;-) No matter what we tell our CFO. :deal: Better suspension, less weight, more power. But for starting everytime, you can't beat an XR.

Last edited:

If you properly inspect and maintain your XR200, there is no reason that it can't be a fun and reliable mount for years to come! They're also relatively simple and inexpensive to repair.

...The reason for a new bike has very little to do with dependability. ;-) No matter what we tell our CFO. :deal: Better suspension, less weight, more power. But for starting everytime, you can't beat an XR.

Agree unless you let the XR sit for weeks on end without running. Then that stinking ethanol mix gas can plug up your jets. But a carb cleaning still beats a trip to the dealer.

side note - I remember that Hussy being very problematic starting from two other past rides. Might be the culmination of same issue? Kinda sucks when your nearest dealer is ~150 miles away, but that was considered pre purchase. I'm in the same boat with my Husky (knock on wood) for now but hoping a dealer moves into Houston area for both of us soon.

_

Back