• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Need help quick!!

Reaction score
Sorry for posting this here didnt know where to ask for help on the forum.

Im 15 years of age and really want to jump on a 250cc bike and im aware that you need to complete the MSF course to be able to ride in texas but im not sure how to go about getting my licence? As im not allowed a M licence i was wondering how i go about getting started.

Also do i need a full licence or just the MSF course certificate to be able to test ride some 250cc bikes.7

Any help/tips would be appreciated.

Thanks ya'll.

You need an actual license to ride a motorcycle on the street. You don't need a license for trails, but you have to have some way to get the bike there.

I don't think any dealers will let you test ride at 15, even a dirt bike..

Have you gone to the TCB requesting information? UK rules are similar to North America yet there ARE some not too subtle differences, especially in the "learner" area including "L" requirements with the plates on the vehicle. Its been 45 years since I was in the UK so some of the rules may have changed. Good luck, keep us informed.

Have you gone to the TCB requesting information? UK rules are similar to North America yet there ARE some not too subtle differences, especially in the "learner" area including "L" requirements with the plates on the vehicle. Its been 45 years since I was in the UK so some of the rules may have changed. Good luck, keep us informed.

sorry ive actually moved to Texas now, what are the rules here?

You need an actual license to ride a motorcycle on the street. You don't need a license for trails, but you have to have some way to get the bike there.

I don't think any dealers will let you test ride at 15, even a dirt bike..

is that in texas because i thought you could ride a 250cc and under?

Well, the original link I included states the qualifications you need for a Hardship license by State, which you can get at 15 in Texas (provided you need to ride on a road). If you are riding on dirt then it doesn't matter, as long as you aren't riding on the streets. If worse comes to worse and you gotta ride on the roads and you can't get a hardship license then you'll need to be 16, take a student drivers course and pass it. Then go to the DMV and pass their test(s). Then once you get that license you can take an MSF course to complete the driving portion of your M (motorcycle) endorsement. Once you do that you can take the certificate you get when you pass the MSF to the DMV and take the written part of the Motorcycle test and then you got your license. No easy way to get out of it not even for small bikes. I think some states do that but definitely not Texas, sorry... Hope that helps explain everything a little better.

Here is the official site regarding all the license info if you want to check it out, I pretty much just summed it all up from there:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense/teendriver.htm

you need a LEARNER'S PERMIT for a regular driver's license

you can get one by being 15 & completing DRIVER'S ED and will then be allowed to drive a car w/ a licensed driver over 18 in the front seat with you

you then take the MSF course

w/ both, LEARNER'S PERMIT & MSF COMPLETION CERTIFICATE, you then goto the local DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES/DRIVER'S LICENSE OFFICE and take a written M/C test

you, also, will have to take a m/c DRIVING/RIDING test

this 2nd test requires you to furnish a <250cc m/c and an automobile w/ a driver

the officer will ride in the automobile, following you on the m/c for this test

both the m/c & auto will be undergo a SAFETY INSPECTION prior to taking this test

once you have the above courses & certificates behind you, you will be allowed to ride a <250cc m/c on public streets/roads, until you turn 16 or after 6 months, whichever is later(you have to have your LEARNER'S PERMIT for 6 months before being allowed to upgrade)

btw, it is hard for TWT members to give you all the information/assistance you are requesting w/o knowing where you are

"TEXAS" is quite large

please edit your LOCATION

GOOD LUCK W/ YOUR QUEST

sw

Well, the original link I included states the qualifications you need for a Hardship license by State, which you can get at 15 in Texas (provided you need to ride on a road). If you are riding on dirt then it doesn't matter, as long as you aren't riding on the streets. If worse comes to worse and you gotta ride on the roads and you can't get a hardship license then you'll need to be 16, take a student drivers course and pass it. Then go to the DMV and pass their test(s). Then once you get that license you can take an MSF course to complete the driving portion of your M (motorcycle) endorsement. Once you do that you can take the certificate you get when you pass the MSF to the DMV and take the written part of the Motorcycle test and then you got your license. No easy way to get out of it not even for small bikes. I think some states do that but definitely not Texas, sorry... Hope that helps explain everything a little better.

Here is the official site regarding all the license info if you want to check it out, I pretty much just summed it all up from there:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense/teendriver.htm

okay thank you :)

you need a LEARNER'S PERMIT for a regular driver's license

you can get one by being 15 & completing DRIVER'S ED and will then be allowed to drive a car w/ a licensed driver over 18 in the front seat with you

you then take the MSF course

w/ both, LEARNER'S PERMIT & MSF COMPLETION CERTIFICATE, you then goto the local DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES/DRIVER'S LICENSE OFFICE and take a written M/C test

you, also, will have to take a m/c DRIVING/RIDING test

this 2nd test requires you to furnish a <250cc m/c and an automobile w/ a driver

the officer will ride in the automobile, following you on the m/c for this test

both the m/c & auto will be undergo a SAFETY INSPECTION prior to taking this test

once you have the above courses & certificates behind you, you will be allowed to ride a <250cc m/c on public streets/roads, until you turn 16 or after 6 months, whichever is later(you have to have your LEARNER'S PERMIT for 6 months before being allowed to upgrade)

btw, it is hard for TWT members to give you all the information/assistance you are requesting w/o knowing where you are

"TEXAS" is quite large

please edit your LOCATION

GOOD LUCK W/ YOUR QUEST

sw

sorry changed my location now :), im new to the forum stuff so sorry if some of my information is brief. Thank you for your help.

Back