• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Guy in Dallas Area

tx-vfr said:
You didn't happen to be running from that chopper did you Mark? :lol2:

Uhh.. not that I know of...:doh:

I've done ride outs a couple times in cars, but I'd probably end up chumming for grackles if I rode very long in a helicopter.

I don't do so well bouncy bouncy in the air before I start turning the color of this guy>:mrgreen:

I think I met Clay about a month ago. I was at BMW North Dallas and was picking up my 05 Tiger that had been in for some routine service.

Clay was looking at the 07 Tiger and thinking it might not be for him. However he seemed to really like the black 06 Tiger they had. We had a nice conversation and I probably talked his ear off. If I have the right person, I guess he got that 06. Clay I hope to see you out and about again.

For what its worth Clay isn't just in Law Enforcement, he's with that group that wears that tan cowboy hat. By the way if you hadn't noticed Nathan is one of the those cop haters. :-) I heard that at one time Nathan even sped once. Oh the shame!

tx-vfr said:
Clay, didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable.

I have great respect for Law Enforcement. Can't say I'd like to do it myself, but thats all the more reason to respect the good folks that do it.

There's lots of LEO types on here. Other then the occasional ribbing we give, and they return, we're all a big happy family :rider:

You didn't make me feel uncomfortable at all! I apprciate your warm welcome and questions.

Thanks to all for the welcome! I appreciate it. Hopefully, I will meet more of you in the future!

MacDaddy said:
I think I met Clay about a month ago. I was at BMW North Dallas and was picking up my 05 Tiger that had been in for some routine service.

Clay was looking at the 07 Tiger and thinking it might not be for him. However he seemed to really like the black 06 Tiger they had. We had a nice conversation and I probably talked his ear off. If I have the right person, I guess he got that 06. Clay I hope to see you out and about again.

For what its worth Clay isn't just in Law Enforcement, he's with that group that wears that tan cowboy hat. By the way if you hadn't noticed Nathan is one of the those cop haters. :-) I heard that at one time Nathan even sped once. Oh the shame!

You got it, Steve! I am the same guy. As you predicted, I pulled the trigger on the 06 and have been very pleased ever since. I am scheduled for the first service Wednesday of next week. Sounds like you need to give Nathan a break! :-P

Anyway, maybe we can hook up and ride sometime. I need to order a top case and don't want to spend the money on the Triumph model. I am looking at the GIVI E450? Any opinions would be great!

Take care and be safe!

Clay

welcome to the party. So ,how can I get a ride in that thar heli hopper you got?

MacDaddy said:
For what its worth Clay isn't just in Law Enforcement, he's with that group that wears that tan cowboy hat.

Er, I'm slow. Is that DPS? :ponder:

If so, Clay you know a DPS 'copter pilot by the name of Hal by chance? Lives out by Terrell? Good guy and a neighbor of mine...

Oh, and welcome! :)

Sprocket said:
Er, I'm slow. Is that DPS? :ponder:

If so, Clay you know a DPS 'copter pilot by the name of Hal by chance? Lives out by Terrell? Good guy and a neighbor of mine...

Oh, and welcome! :)

Sure do. Fly with Hal regularly. There are five of us at this station. Hal is a great guy, even if he does ride an HD :yawn:

Welcome, Clay. Watch out for those water turkeys coming off Lake Lavon.

If we went riding together, would it still be okay to exceed the automobile speed limit?

AutoRotate said:
I am in law enforcement. I hate mentioning that because I know some people here do not seem to have the highest opinions of law enforcement aviation. At any rate, that is what I do. I have had trouble fitting in with other groups and forums because of this but I have noticed there are other law enforcement folks posting here so we will see how it goes.

As you said, we have several Law Enforcement types here.

I am a civilian employee at Houston Police Department.

I also think you will find that if there are any disparaging remarks on this board about law enforcement they are directed to a specific incident that is seen as unfair and not to Leos in general.

-

Welcome aboard, Clay!

Just curious, but what factors tipped your decision in favor of the '06 Tiger over the '07 model? And why a Triumph rather than one of the other big adventure-type bikes?

BTW, isn't that 955i motor a sweet lump of metal? ;-)

Hi Clay,

I live in Garland and joined TWT in Jan. also, so I guess we could tell each other welcome. Seems like a lot of really nice people on this site. But since you're a LEO and if anyone disagrees with you, you could always just shoot them...:-).

Oh yea, I have a Givi V46 on my 99 Honda ST1100 and find it really, really convenient. My bike doesn't look as sleek and sporty with it, but at my age (55) that doesn't matter as much to me anymore. Once you have the rack mounted they are very easy to put on and take off. Turn a key and push a button. But as I said, mine is so handy to have that the only time I take mine off is to take a picture of my bike.

I believe the Givi V46 and E450 are very similar, so if you want to see one mounted on a bike and see how they work just let me know. I'd be very happy to meet you and show it to you.

Larrry

Janet said:
Welcome Brother. Where does the line start?
:rider:

Janet

Believe it or not, there is not much of a line. We don't get too many LE riders since I generally work nights and most people not working want to be doing something else :shrug:

Eulogite said:
Welcome, Clay. Watch out for those water turkeys coming off Lake Lavon.

If we went riding together, would it still be okay to exceed the automobile speed limit?

Thanks for the welcome. Personally, it doesn't matter to me how fast someone rides. If it is too fast for me, I ride alone. When I am riding, I am not working. It would take something fairly significant for me to get involved :biggun:

scratch said:
Welcome aboard, Clay!

Just curious, but what factors tipped your decision in favor of the '06 Tiger over the '07 model? And why a Triumph rather than one of the other big adventure-type bikes?

BTW, isn't that 955i motor a sweet lump of metal? ;-)

I had my heart set on the new Tiger. I didn't order one. My plan was to simply wait for the dealer to get one, then give it a look. When the dealer called advising they had an 07 I went to take a look. I sat on the bike and immediately did not like the ergonomics :doh: . I owned a Yamaha R6 in the past and wanted to get away from the sportbike feel. While the 07 is far from a sportbike, it seems to be heading in that direction.

My goal was to buy a "standard" motorcycle, but most of the "standards" I looked at had more of a cruiser feel. That is what drove me towards the adventure touring bikes. They just felt better to me. I could not justify the expense of the BMW so it prety much came down to the Vstrom DL1000 and the Tiger. From there, it was all personal preference. Both are great bikes, but the Tiger felt better, and to be perfectly honest, I like the history of the Triumphs. I know that sounds a bit Harley Davidsonish, but I like Harleys for the same reason. I like the history and tradition. Anyway, that's what I ended up with. Been happy so far :rider:

Larrypv said:
Hi Clay,

I live in Garland and joined TWT in Jan. also, so I guess we could tell each other welcome. Seems like a lot of really nice people on this site. But since you're a LEO and if anyone disagrees with you, you could always just shoot them...:-).

Oh yea, I have a Givi V46 on my 99 Honda ST1100 and find it really, really convenient. My bike doesn't look as sleek and sporty with it, but at my age (55) that doesn't matter as much to me anymore. Once you have the rack mounted they are very easy to put on and take off. Turn a key and push a button. But as I said, mine is so handy to have that the only time I take mine off is to take a picture of my bike.

I believe the Givi V46 and E450 are very similar, so if you want to see one mounted on a bike and see how they work just let me know. I'd be very happy to meet you and show it to you.

Larrry

Thanks for the welcome Larry! Nice to be another Garlandite that isn't shooting at me :wary:

Thanks for the information regarding the topcase. I am with you. I don't care much about the looks, more function than anything else. If I can get some free time, maybe we can hook up for a cup of coffee and I'll take a look at it. I am in South Garland for now. Hopefully building a house on land purchased in Rockwall County this year.

Welcome... was that you on the tiger last night at the Plano meet and greet? If so it was great to meet you, I'm the one that was limping to the SUV you parked next to. I too am LE and trust me the group that meets in Plano are some fantastic people, I have started new friendships and consider most of them family. You will like this group...

Steve sure gives me a lot of hassle for somebody that rides faster then I do! :-P

I wanna ride it! I wanna ride it!

Ok, well.. since I'm not LEO I guess I'll settle for the Tiger ;-)

Howdy and welcome. :wave:

Vrn_James said:
Welcome... was that you on the tiger last night at the Plano meet and greet? If so it was great to meet you, I'm the one that was limping to the SUV you parked next to. I too am LE and trust me the group that meets in Plano are some fantastic people, I have started new friendships and consider most of them family. You will like this group...

Yes sir, that was me. I enjoyed the short visit. Where do you work and how did the medical issue go? I now remembering you had something going on and weren't sure if you were going to make it. Thanks again for the welcome!

Squeaky said:
I wanna ride it! I wanna ride it!

Ok, well.. since I'm not LEO I guess I'll settle for the Tiger ;-)

Howdy and welcome. :wave:

We always work things out for pretty girls! ;-)

Just kidding. Thanks for the welcome and you can try out the Tiger anytime. It sure was a tough decision between your bike and mine. Literally came down to the wire!

AutoRotate said:
We always work things out for pretty girls! ;-)

Hey, it worked out for a ride-along with Austin/Travis County EMS! ;-)

AutoRotate said:
I had my heart set on the new Tiger. I didn't order one. ...Anyway, that's what I ended up with. Been happy so far :rider:
Got it.

I've been toying with the idea of trading for the new Tiger myself. Compared to a Speed Triple, the ergonomics feel very relaxed, so I guess it's all a matter of perspective. ;-)

Squeaky said:
Hey, it worked out for a ride-along with Austin/Travis County EMS! ;-)

I believe it! They are a good bunch of folks and have some nice machines, especially the new ones they transitioning into this year. Very cool!

Back