• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

North Seco Creek Road?????

Reaction score
So, I've tried taking North Seco Creek Road between FM470 and RR337, just west of Bandera, several times. The problem is I run into a gate, no matter which direction I take. I think it was for Spring Mountain Ranch (or something like that). The second gate has a chain and padlock across it. Now, this road is part of the Hill Country Discovery Route but it's blocked. My own side note: it seriously pisses me off when you're riding down a marked RR, PR, or FM and come across a gate someone decided to put there and claim the road for their own. Only in TX...

My question; are we allowed to go through these gates? Anyone been through there that might have an idea? It's a pretty significant detour to have to come back out to whatever road you came off of and circle round some way. Would love to be able to go through the gates to get to where I'm headed, I just don't want to open the gate and go through...seems wrong (but seems wrong it's there in the first place).

I don't know, but I do have a good rancher friend in Seco Valley I'll reach out to and ask.

That would be great. I'd really appreciate it. I thought about just opening the gate and trying it out, but I really don't want to go onto anyone's land if they don't want me there. There's just no other easy way between those two roads. I'm really hoping the gate is just there for cattle and as long as we shut it behind us, we're good to go through.

I remember long ago going out there to go to this ranch, and going down a road my GPS told me to take that dead-ended into someone's front yard.
In an old 3-series BMW. Those folks were like "who the bleep are you, city boy??"
I explained who/what I was looking for, and they were very helpful.
Very adventuresome out there, but it can be confusing.

Good idea William, I'll check it out.

LD - each time I've been out there I've looked for someone to ask...a bit sparsely populated. lol

Now, this road is part of the Hill Country Discovery Route but it's blocked. My own side note: it seriously pisses me off when you're riding down a marked RR, PR, or FM and come across a gate someone decided to put there and claim the road for their own. Only in TX...

If you see PR on a map its a Private Road & not a CR county rd

Correct. My fault. Was thinking more Park Road as well. We've got a few Park Roads near where I live that lead to/by a park but are still open for thru traffic.

Unfortunately not all county roads that are on maps actually belong to the county. The road I live on is one example. I know where the deed is and it isn't in the county's hands but there's still a county road number on it. They've even paved it a few times. :doh:

Roads that are seldom used are given back to the land owners with some frequency. I suspect this is so the county doesn't have to maintain them anymore. Hill County has been pretty bad about this of late and it takes forever for the maps to get updated. I've found the best bet is to call the county in question. If you can get in touch with someone who does the road work or oversees the road crews they'll usually know without having to look anything up.

Back