• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Not Maxi, but a scooter ride report

Reaction score
Yesterday, with the beautiful weather, I wanted to go for a bit of two-wheel therapy over a long lunch as I often do. Mrs72 had an errand to run on her scooter, so I talked her into joining me and making this a 1.5 hour scooter adventure.

Now, I know, as ride reports go, you guys might think 1.5 hours is a joke. But this is the first time my wife and I have gone on a "just go ride" ride together on our scooters.

This was a fantastic scooter quick ride. Glad we picked the route we did.

We left from our house in Cedar Park and ran to the post office to drop off my wife's return, and then continued on the ride proper. We weaved through CP to get over to Volente Rd and headed west to Bullick Hollow. Bullick Hollow over to the big hill up to the Oasis and then we turned right on Comanche and followed that all the way to the dead end, and turned around and came back the exact same route.

First thing: this is a perfect tailor-made scooter route, at least once you're on Comanche. A scooter is totally the best way to experience that road. Speed limit is 30mph and you only have to squint a little bit to believe you are tooling around some island in the Caribbean, especially with the eclectic mix of multimillion-dollar lake view mansions on the south side of the road and artsy bungalows on the north side that would not be out of place in the sticks somewhere in Jamaica. The turnaround at the end of the road is a forest of bamboo. There are several spots with limestone cliffs on one side and the million dollar view the other way of Lake Travis and the Villa del Sol with the Oasis behind it on the top of the ridge. If you had time and wanted to pay the park fee, there's Windy Point (aka Bob Wentz Park) and Hippie Hollow right there. This won't be the last time we take this trip.

We're both on 125cc scooters. The Stella is noticeably quicker than the Vino, and it really did show in some of this. I thought Bullick Hollow was likely to be a bit of a chore due to the hills, but it wasn't that bad. Sure, the Vino won't keep 40mph up the hills but it kept it above 30. The big hill up to the Oasis necessitated the shoulder as we dropped down to around 20mph before making the apex. But mrs72 finally decided she will probably "let" me get her a Vespa GTS 300 to replace the wheezy Vino when climbing the long hill up from the Twin Creeks Country Club up to Dies Ranch Rd. on Volente Rd. The little scoot was steadily losing speed, and finally she pulled over to let a big stack of cars pass before taking off again. FWIW, I think the Stellauto with a couple more hp is close enough to fine riding this route. It can't keep 45mph all the way up that hill but it would probably have kept it over 35 the whole way, and all of the hills on Bullick Hollow were short enough that I'm sure the Stella would have held the 40mph speed limit. The difference between the undisclosed hp of the Vino, my guess maybe 7-8, and the likely under-reported power of the Stella, 9.5-11, is night and day.

The big challenge of doing a fun ride on a scooter is the high speed roads you have to go on to get to the fun spots. Like, Cow Creek Rd. would be perfect on a scooter, being super twisty 30mph all the way with amazing views to take in. But there's a half hour of 55mph 1431 with big hills to get to the start of this road. I don't think either of our 125cc scooters would be up to the 1431 trip to Smithwick from CP. Makes me want to buy that 200cc cylinder and piston for my Stellauto while I still can and put mrs72 on a new Vespa so we can do more of this.

All in all, I highly recommend this route if you have a scooter in the Austin area. Getting to the starting line in CP may be a challenge, but it'll be worth it. If you have more time on your hands, you could do this out and back and then head on down Volente over to Volente Beach to complete a longer out and back. If you want to roll the dice on head-on-collision with a Civic Si making youtube videos, then you could even run down Lime Creek Rd. all the way back to Anderson Mill and make 2.5 hr scooter epic out of it. A scooter is perfect for Lime Creek Rd with its 40mph speed limit and 15-20mph turns, if only it weren't for the wannabe road racers who think it's a racetrack.

So the Triumph got another day's worth of dust collected and we had a fun adventure. Happy scootering, y'all!

Last edited:
Sounds like fun. How are the stella and Vino on flat ground? My 125 can get up to ~55 on these coastal plains, so I'm curious how it would do on Austin's hills. I did Lime Creek when I had my ninja 400, and you're right, it would be a blast on the scooter.

Speed is hard to estimate, especially since these scooters' speedos are notoriously inaccurate and I've had to repair the Stella speedo. Mrs72 says when she's following me and I put the Stella at 40, she reads 45 on the Vino. Correcting for expected speedo error, I think the Stella will probably get up to actual 52-53 mph and the Vino tops out at around 45 actual. Also, the Stella is a lot quicker.

I can't remember which 125 you have, but Vinos are known for being the slowest modern 125s on the road, and it shows. The Stella is probably more typical of a modern 125. I'm sure with an unmodified speedo, it'd read >55 flat out. Our neighborhood is hilly for the area, but not hill-country type hilly. Just long 2-3% grades or short less than a block long grade at up to 7-8%. Sticking to 45mph and under kind of roads, both of our scooters are fine, and I don't mind taking a few blocks down a 55mph road on my Stella. But I wouldn't ride a 125cc or 150cc scooter on "big" roads in Austin, like 45-60mph with curves and hills and little or no shoulder, like 2222, would be deadly. I think a 250-300cc scooter would be minimum for transportation in Austin proper. Here in Cedar Park, with creative route planning, we can get to NW Austin or Leander or Round Rock and maybe even all the way to Georgetown or Liberty Hill without having to crack 45 mph or keep up a sustained long hill.

Back