• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Origin of FARKLE

cdc

Registered Lurker
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Diaz
Saw a thread in another forum discussing the origin of this word... never knew where it came from.

Do you know what it sands for?

I don't know where it came from but I would like for it to go back there and lock the door behind it.

I hate that word. It is over used and non descriptive, spanning the entire spectrum of add-ons and modifications (comfort, cosmetic, performance & protection). Anybody that catches me using it has a free pass to slap me. Seriously!!

I would also be willing to pony up a one time site donation specifically for permanent addition of it to the TWT word filter list. It's just another f word to me.

_

Last edited by a moderator:
Last I heard it was a mashup of Functional and Sparkle. Kind of a tongue in cheek way of saying "yes, it has a purpose, but no, I probably don't NEED it."

Last I heard it was a mashup of Functional and Sparkle. Kind of a tongue in cheek way of saying "yes, it has a purpose, but no, I probably don't NEED it."

+1- this is what I've always understood it to be rooted in- sparkly toys that improve the function the bike- functional sparkles. I've never understood there to be any vulgarity to it at all.

From ADV:

Motorcycle farkle

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The word Farkle belongs to the vernacular of the North American motorcyclist, and refers to accessories or the act of accessorizing a motorcycle.

Farkles may include any accesories but especially those intended to increase the function of a motorcycle -- vs. those intended to glamorize (i.e. if an accessory is chromed, it is probably not a farkle - see Bling.)
Examples include items that do not arrive as standard equipment on the motorcycle, such as Radar detectors, GPS systems, heated grips, satellite radios, highway pegs, or top and side cases.

[edit] Etymology

The Etymology of "Farkle" is murky. It was in use at least by the late nineteen-nineties, circa 1997.

The word may be a combination (portmanteau) of "function" and "sparkle." One source attributes the term to a member of the Honda ST1100 user group [1].

Another source claims that farkle was a term originally used for the multiple tail lights that Honda Goldwing riders used in the late 80's and early 90's. They would flash or sparkle when the brakes were applied, thus farkle may be a combination of those two words[citation needed].

Farkle is also a Backronym:
F.ancy
A.ccessory
R.eally
K.ool &
L.ikely
E.xpensive

...I've never understood there to be any vulgarity to it at all.

Nothing vulgar about it, it's just a ridiculous word and irks me. That's why I would pay never to see it again on this site. Plenty of other words that aren't offensive or vulgar get filtered here so why not this one, make it f*****

_

I never considered that somebody might be offended by the word. Not that I care, I had just never considered it.

I don't know who is offended ??? It is just on my list of words I don't like. Like cray cray :( congrats :( and others I don't fell like remembering.

Signatures ???? We don't need no stinking signatures !!!!!

Ah. N/m. I mistook it for something more serious.

Nothing vulgar about it, it's just a ridiculous word and irks me. That's why I would pay never to see it again on this site. Plenty of other words that aren't offensive or vulgar get filtered here so why not this one, make it f*****

_

We all have our pet peevs. Mine is when people say "jixxer" when talking about Suzuki GSXR. lol

"Farkle" to me is the perfect word to sum up most of the mods we all do.

I hate farkle too...sounds kind of wimpy. Add crotch rocket to the list, I hate that word too.

"sick" is the word that drives me nuts. "Bro" has an honorable mention in there too.

Often wondered about the farkle term. Learned something new today.

Thanks
CJB

"sick" is the word that drives me nuts. "Bro" has an honorable mention in there too.

Often wondered about the farkle term. Learned something new today.

Thanks
CJB

Dude you got a sick bike bro. :lol2:...........................................:duck:

Signatures ???? We don't need no stinking signatures !!!!!

Yep, ranks right up there with jixxer or crotch-rocket. Don't like them, but know what people mean when I hear them. Just wish I didn't need to hear 'em.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I used to hate "bro", then my buddies and I started using it sarcastically. Now I just can't stop and it's starting to feel reel. I'm a terrible person.

We all have our pet peevs. Mine is when people say "jixxer" when talking about Suzuki GSXR. lol

"Farkle" to me is the perfect word to sum up most of the mods we all do.

My pet peev is when people look taller on the internet than in person :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ............................................ :duck:

I've got some sic farkles on my feejer.
I guess that ticked off 3 people but very descriptive.

"Functional modifications that improve your motorcycle and look good" ...doesnt exactly roll off the tongue.

I don't know where it came from but I would like for it to go back there and lock the door behind it.

_

Well when you get that word out of our face, then how about tackling the news media and the over used stupid slang term "gone viral". That's my present peeve!

I hate that word. It is over used and non descriptive, spanning the entire spectrum of add-ons and modifications (comfort, cosmetic, performance & protection). Anybody that catches me using it has a free pass to slap me. Seriously!!

I would also be willing to pony up a one time site donation specifically for permanent addition of it to the TWT word filter list. It's just another f word to me.

_

Agreed. We could even sponsor a contest on TWT for another word!!! Yep.

Back