• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Palo Duro Canyon....BOO!

No worries right now. That water is barely trickling UNDER the road. There is a burn ban everywhere in the park. No charcoal, no nuthin'.

Burn ban sucks. With all this rain, any chance it will get repealed anytime soon? Thinking of going there for mtb this April. Camping won't be very fun without campfire.

the problem is state wide

welcome to the cut backs that have resulted from the $20+++ billion deficit in the state budget

when more money is spent than collected, things like state parks & education get funding cuts, first & most

shiny side up

I camped in the Canyon last night, and will again tonight ( I live in Canyon) As a teenager, I worked in the Canyon, riding My 72 Honda SL-100 to and from work every day.
As of now, the gate is manned until 10PM, and they will furnish You with a gate code.
I have a beef, too. I called Austin for reservations last week and was told to pay by CC, at that time. I did so.
Yesterday, when I arrived at the gate and went inside, I showed My Park Pass, and gave the lady My reservation number. She played with her computer a while then told me she needed$48,. I told Her I paid online with a CC. She got huffy and said "You cant do that!" I said, Well, I DID. Thats what the lady in Austin told me to do. She got kind of whiney and spent 15 minutes playing with Her computer, and supposedly, credited My card back the amout due, and luckily, I had the cash to get in. Then, I threw a wrench in the works, I told Her, "I am going back to Canyon now, and leaving My truck, and coming back on My Harley. She threw Her hands in the air and muttered and started typing away on Her computer, again. There were a couple other discrepancies in the Austin/Canyon communications problem that I wont go into, but it was a beautiful night in the canyon, and i hope tionight is as nice!

I told Her I paid online with a CC. She got huffy and said "You cant do that!" /QUOTE]

Not only CAN you, but they don't take a reservation if you don't pay in advance for at least one night. I don't get that reaction.

She also loked down Her nose at Me and said"You are lucky there is an open space in the Mesquite camping area, or I would send You to the overflow camping area." It was just Her attitude, and I replied, "You are lucky there is a space in the Mesquite camping area" She said "Why" I said, "because I called Austin, I followed proceedures, and I paid , in advance, for a space in Mesquite. If You sent me to overflow, I would get a refund and turn around and go Home". Maybe it was because I was sweaty and wearing a torn T-shirt.....Later, when I went back in to get a pass for My bike, She said "Hey, You clean up good!" I had showered and changed clothes. I wasnt sure if I should be offended, or complimented! Off now to the Canyon!:rider:

So.....I went back out to Palo Duro for My second night, already had a pass to get to My campsite. It was 5 PM when I gpt tp the park entrance. I estimate 75 vehicles were in line in front of Me. It took 45 minutes to get through the gate. The sole attendant was chatting it up with every driver that passed through to pay the fee. When I got to the pay window, I asked why they didnt open the second lane/pay window. "Budget cuts, We dont have anyone to work that window". I did see three different Ranger trucks cruising around in the gate area, but i Guess Rangers arent allowed to work the Entry Stations.

I estimate 75 vehicles were in line in front of Me. It took 45 minutes to get through the gate.

My solution: Do like I did last summer and go in July. It was only 118 when we were hiking out there... we nearly had the park to ourselves. :)

We also cheated though and book a hotel in Amarillo since I wanted to swim and sleep in A/C at night.

Wayne

My solution: Do like I did last summer and go in July. It was only 118 when we were hiking out there... we nearly had the park to ourselves. :)

We also cheated though and book a hotel in Amarillo since I wanted to swim and sleep in A/C at night.

Wayne
I live in Canyon, and My first job at 14, was working on the Sad Monkey Railroad. I have been going to the Canyon since 1970 and have never had to wait in line to get in. :doh:
President Bush will be bicyling in the Canyon next weekend with the Wounded Warriors, I bet it will get crowded down there with Looky Lous.:rider:

Back