• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Photo Assignment #12: "From Above" (ENTRY HERE)

TWTim

Reaction score
Your submission must be taken between August 11 and August 24, 2009. A winner will be chosen sometime after midnight on that Monday, then subsequently announced.

Entries only here, please, until August 25, 2009. Do not use this thread for comments or critiquing until after the winner has been selected. Any comments posted prior to the announcement of a winner will be deleted by the mods. Use this thread for any discussion and for posting related photos not applicable for entry.

Have fun, and thanks in advance for your participation. :bow:

Last edited by a moderator:
DSC02817.jpg

Just bumping the thread as a reminder that the winner will be selected about 24 hours from now. Get your entries in. :thumb:

I thought the deadline was midnight monday

This is a collaboration w/ Rainmaker & I. It's the view from Clingman's Dome near Gatlinburg, TN.

017pbx.jpg

Last edited:
Every photo is good. Geeez, this is hard for me. :doh:

THE WINNER: PAUL :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

The photo has both a sense of drama and a feeling of height, two aspects I really liked a lot. Also, the color, exposure, and subject placement looked and felt very good as I studied the pic.

So since I've had to be silent with my opinions throughout the entirety of the contest until now, here are my assessments of the other photos:

Jimbo: I'm giving your photo runner-up status since I liked it so much. I enjoyed that the camera eye is looking down almost secretly on the fish, and I also like that the fish appears to be hovering above its own shadow, which gives the photo a very three-dimensional feel. Had the color values not been quite so washy and had it been cropped perhaps a little differently, I'd have picked it as the winner.

Ironically, you posted in the critique thread what I consider to be the single best picture of this entire assignment: The four bikes alone in the riverbed, taken from what appears to be almost a vertical vantage point. That picture had it all and is magnificent to me. If you had entered it instead, I'd have picked it hands down. Great job.

dutchinterceptor: Yours is a dramatic, engaging photo with a great humanity about it. I could stare at it all day and wish I was there riding in that environment. The main reason I didn't pick it for the win is that the rider keeps calling himself out to me as being the subject of the photo, and he isn't much -- if at all -- below the camera eye.

M38A1: If I had been judging on composition alone, yours would've won. From the color values to the use of light to the choice of field depth, I thought your photo kicked major buttock from an artistic standpoint. I just didn't get as big a feeling of "aboveness" from the camera eye as I did with some of the others.

poser: I like your use of macro-esque focal length, but it looked to me like the camera eye was actually level and away from the tip of the screwdriver, rather than above it. Color and exposure were good, too, and I love the sharp look of the vertical lines on the upper part of the red plastic lens piece. Very nice.

Snoopster: A great pic for sure, and I pined over whether or not to choose it as winner for a long time. It has a dizzying sense of height and beautiful composition. I like the punch of blueish shirt color contrasting with all the green, too. The reason I didn't pick it for the win was because I actually felt like the subject got a little lost in comparison to some of the other entries. Otherwise, super-duper and very well done.

Voni: I like the sense of self-awareness and solitude your photo embodies. The waves accentuating the clearness of the water is also a highlight for me. That said, the pic as a whole struck me as being almost accidental in some way, perhaps as if the camera slipped and you inadvertently clicked off a shot as you grabbed it. Still very nice though, and certainly true to the theme.

Thanks all. This was fun. I just hated having to pick one over the others, because art is so subjective and every photo was really cool. I appreciate your entries very much.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited:
Congrats Paul!
What kind of birds are those and where was this taken?

Jimbo-
I was digging the suspended fish pic as you couldn't see the water but you saw him and the shadow below.

Great shots everyone..... :clap:

The birds are ducks of some variety. The photo was taken from the bridge overlooking the Reversing Falls at Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada.

I took several pictures of the ducks swimming and diving for food, but when they seemed to congregate on the rock waiting for the flow to reverse again it was the most dramatic photo of the group.

Paul Glaves

Jimbo:

Ironically, you posted in the critique thread what I consider to be the single best picture of this entire assignment: The four bikes alone in the riverbed, taken from what appears to be almost a vertical vantage point. That picture had it all and is magnificent to me. If you had entered it instead, I'd have picked it hands down. Great job.

+1

ALL the pictures were great! One of these days I will take another picture that I deem worthy.

Jimbo: I'm giving your photo runner-up status since I liked it so much. I enjoyed that the camera eye is looking down almost secretly on the fish, and I also like that the fish appears to be hovering above its own shadow, which gives the photo a very three-dimensional feel. Had the color values not been quite so washy and had it been cropped perhaps a little differently, I'd have picked it as the winner.

First Congrats Paul great pic, and Tim thanks for the compliments on my pics.

But I just have to explain why I entered this pic, It is one of my favorites from my trip. The bikes in the river pic is good but I could take that pic all day, setting it up anytime. How often do you get to see a fishy and his shadow?

I know that the color in the fishy pic is really neutral and the perspective is close up but thats the way I took the pic, it is unaltered.

I am not a good photographer, **** I take all my pics with a Sony dsc-h10. Just an average $250 camera from best buy, set on full auto because I don't have a clue what all the symbols stand for. What I see is what gets in the pic, sometimes I get lucky.

I think there are some very good pics in the non entry thread, why they don't enter idk.

I will continue to enter any one day I will get the winner. Maybe I will incorporate my new twtex helmet in future pics for extra credit.:trust:

oh yeah here is the link to my photobucket from the trip.
http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b142/JimmySix/hill country trip/

That ridiculously good looking, smiling, bearded, fellow is ME

Back