• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Photo Assignment #187 - NEON (ENTRY) Due 6-5-17

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Hansen
Submit your ENTRY here to be considered for Assignment #187 NEON

Please do not comment in this thread until a winner has been selected. Comments may be deleted without warning.

Specifics for this assignment:

1) Camera phone, point & shoot, DSLR, iPad, or even film; all shooters are welcome and encouraged to participate!

2) Post processing is allowed for this assignment.

3 All forum posting rules apply regarding suitability of an image to post.

4) Your photograph for the entry has to have been taken between now and midnight/2400, June 5, 2017.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neon%20Contest-1.jpg

_72_5515-X3.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the entries! All are great shots. Now the hard part figuring out the winner. I'm at work and just saw the clock so thought I'd better get at it. I'll have the results up later today (it's 12:43 am here in the Windy City).

Guys this is tough deciding. Thanks for the hard work on all your pictures. I'm lousy at reviewing pictures but I know what I like. And Scotts (M38A1) is what I like. Great composition if that makes sense. A close second was Deco and his bonco busting fish. So I guess I get to say those famous words "Scott, you're up!"

Every one of those shots were amazing. Great work, all!

I was standing next to Scott when he took that. That place had a ton of neon. I didn't pull out my camera because I was holding out for the Round Rock donuts sign. We kept thinking it would be great without the band blocking some of it.

When Bill posted that first one, I figured it was going to be had to beat though. I'm really happy to see all the entries.

Wow, I didn't see this one coming.... Thanks.

Like Rusty, I saw Bills first shot across the bow and said "how am I going to top that"? I went through a bunch of iterations of people and neon but just couldn't get someone lined up or a location. Rusty and I were walking around Round Rock just prior to a monster rain dump and we saw this little Tejano bar. I saw a LOT of neon and figured 'why not'? It sure meets the criteria. Killed some highlights, added a little black and clarity and there you have it. What's also fun is, mine wouldn't have been my first choice if I were judging. That's what makes these so interesting and fun. And now you know the rest of the story.

Also glad to see a bunch of folks play.... For sure, the game gets 'stepped up' when I see some familiar names tossing entries out. And I have to admit, I really like that as it makes me work harder. :mrgreen:

I'll have a new one up this evening..... Any special topics you want next time around? :deal:

Those were all some darn good entries, congrats goes to Scott on the win. I'm just glad I got to play along on this one, and I'm sorry that it took so darn long for me to get back into the contests. My original idea was to actually go out to a local old-school neon shop here and take photos of their artists making neon signs. Scheduling just didn't let that play out so this was my backup idea.

A little backstory on the sign that is in my photo. That is hanging in our guest bedroom at the house. My dad saw it hanging up in a Joe's Crabshack and all I know is that after some negotiations back and forth, an undisclosed amount of money changed hands and this was a birthday present for me close to 13-14 years ago. Now for the ugly guy in that photo, I don't know anything about him..... :)

That's quite a coincidence about your plan about the neon shop. Scott and I were talking with Kyle (deco) about that on Saturday, but Kyle figured it was too late to coordinate something like that.

Thanks for the backstory about the sign too.

Wow, I didn't see this one coming.... Thanks.

Like Rusty, I saw Bills first shot across the bow and said "how am I going to top that"? I went through a bunch of iterations of people and neon but just couldn't get someone lined up or a location. Rusty and I were walking around Round Rock just prior to a monster rain dump and we saw this little Tejano bar. I saw a LOT of neon and figured 'why not'? It sure meets the criteria. Killed some highlights, added a little black and clarity and there you have it. What's also fun is, mine wouldn't have been my first choice if I were judging. That's what makes these so interesting and fun. And now you know the rest of the story.

Also glad to see a bunch of folks play.... For sure, the game gets 'stepped up' when I see some familiar names tossing entries out. And I have to admit, I really like that as it makes me work harder. :mrgreen:

I'll have a new one up this evening..... Any special topics you want next time around? :deal:

I have a idea how about musical instruments for the next photo contest?:drums::jammin::dude:

Yup, would have liked to get a shot of Evan Voyles crafting a sign. I was a little late on lining it up. I ended up running around town shooting signs by Evan. He did most of the signs along S. Congress including the Yeti sign.

Congrats to Scott. I like story the picture is telling with the human element.

All the images can out good. Can't wait to see what Scott has in store.

Great shots everyone, and congrats Scott! :clap:

Mine is definitely the worst of the bunch, but I threw it up to participate. :doh:
Well done everyone. :clap:

I really liked them all, but Bill and Scott's especially. Scott, loved the reverse silhouette on the people - that sliver of light along their silhouette.

I am thinking "action figures in action"" for the next one. What say ye?

Back