• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

PHOTO ASSIGNMENT #61 - Coffee (ENTRY)

ed29

Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Hegarty
Use this thread for posting your single entry for Assignment #61: "Coffee".

Camera phone, point & shoot, DSLR, or even film; all shooters are welcome. For this assignment there are no limitations on photographic techniques or post processing.

All forum posting rules apply.

Your photograph has to have been taken between now & Monday August 1st at midnight.

Please refrain from commenting on photographs (yours and others) in this thread until after the winner has been selected. Any comments posted prior to the announcement of a winner will be deleted without warning.

Photographs should stand on their own for your interpretation of "Coffee".

You may post only one entry, but you may change it any time until August 1st, 2011 at midnight.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_0498d.jpg

Up bright and early (or is it dark and early?) enjoying my second cup and browsing the entry pictures. Here goes my effort to critique... I am no expert, just an aspiring observer.

ed29... stark simple picture, coffee at the core, needs more work in staging.

voni... I really like the endless image repeat trailing off to the right. The main image of the cup is a bit dark. It fades into the desk.

jhansen... good move getting the left and right hand into the picture. That adds to the feeling that we are looking right through your eyes at the coffee pouring out of the press. Way too much going on in the background.

M38A1... great composition of the bean bag. The dark background and warm wood tones of the foreground catch that inviting coffee feel.

B.Wade... Long tall drink of coffee here. has a modern art feel to it.

achesly... five coffee items in a row including the thermos to go. The rest of the stuff around the edges distracts from the central theme of the photo.

Tracker... I like this shot showing the enjoyment of a cup. I can almost smell the coffee, hear the street noises, and see life as it goes past during a moment of relaxation and coffee indulgence. Really pulls me into the scene.

BexarWolf... good tight shot of the grounds and the package. Nice warm lighting and tones.

Now the tough part for me. There are several winning pictures here. Whittling down to one is not an easy call. Going with Scott, M38A1's image as the best coffee picture.

oops...didn't read the rules close enough...

got it shot on time, just not posted in time.

image moved to the comments thread.

Last edited:
Ed,
Thanks for the vote. I had quite a few in mind, but this one stood out from the others. I'll see about posting them up in the comments thread later. I'm also digging the simplicity of a couple entries this time around and the creativity aspect. :clap:

I've got a few ideas for the next assignment but wanted to ping the group for ideas. Remember, these assignments are supposed to make us work at creating better images and moving away from the snapshot. Anything in particular that makes you uncomfortable you need work on? :deal:

Congrats, Scott. Nice warm shot and great lighting.

achesly... five coffee items in a row including the thermos to go. The rest of the stuff around the edges distracts from the central theme of the photo.

I could not crop it any more and have a bunch of 1/2 items in there. Was just a quick shot of normal morning routine coffee making. Nothing staged really. My favs were Scotts and Voni's.

I want to know how Jeff made his shot. I mean, who's pressing the shutter button if the assumption is those are both his hands? :ponder:

I want to know how Jeff made his shot. I mean, who's pressing the shutter button if the assumption is those are both his hands? :ponder:

I thought you knew...Harley Riders can do anything! :trust:

Actually I had help. My left hand in the shot, and the right hand of "she who must be obeyed" pouring the coffee. Should have taken a close up of the shot. Oh well, next contest. Congrats!:clap:

Last edited:
Back