• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pie Report: Central Texas Pie Run in Hico

Here is a shot Kelly took as I lead the Houston riders down 1602. It was so cold that my neck disappeared.

Pie run

Marble Falls eh?

Last time I was there I was climbing down the back side of the dam on a rope after dropping canoes and gear down it 30 years ago.

Is the bluebonnet near the dam? I'd have to go take a look at it.

Dyna Sport said:
Is the bluebonnet near the dam? I'd have to go take a look at it.

Just to the north of the bridge on Hwy 281. East side of the road.

Hey, MaxiScoot: I gather your license plate made it home in one piece? :nana

After the day I had at work today - MONDAY or What!!! :angryfir:

I am ready for another pie run NOW!!! :chug:

Kelly - that picture of pdef is great - especially the view of the folks in the mirror...

Howdy,

:tab When I got home from work Friday afternoon, I found Squeaky in my garage changing her bikes oil :-| She has this peculiar habit of waiting until the last moment before a ride/trip to take care of things like this. I won't even mention the sprocket ordeal before the Arkansas trip last fall... :-P She managed to get the bike ready to roll and we actually hit the road shortly after 5:00pm. Debbie, Rebecca and I rode over to Austin together. Beth and Sarah took a different route in the toasty car.

:tab Given the crappy weather and darkness, we just stuck to the main highways. It was not raining, but it was pretty cold, sub 50F. We made a short stop in Rockdale to warm up and take a break. I took advantage of the stop to replace my tail light which had burned out recently. We reached Round Rock on I-35 around 8:30pm and I split off from Rebecca and Deb. They were headed up to Georgetown to stay with Kurt and his wife. I reached Will's place shortly after that and he treated us to a fantastic dinner of grilled Salmon Steaks. I ate way too much, much more than my normal grilled cheese meals ;-) The we stayed up entirely too late drinking some kind of dark beer that was realllly good! Around 3:00am we teetered off to bed. 7:30am would be arriving much too soon!

:tab John, Will and myself were the last to arrive at the Taco Cabana Saturday morning. Ironic since it only took us about four minutes to get there, hehe. Beth, Sarah, Lupita, Vannesa and John's friend Linda drove on ahead in John's Grand Cherokee.

DSC03082.JPG

DSC03083.JPG

DSC03084.JPG

DSC03085.JPG

DSC03086.JPG

DSC03087.JPG

DSC03088.JPG

DSC03089.JPG

DSC03090.JPG

DSC03091.JPG

DSC03092.JPG

DSC03093.JPG

DSC03094.JPG

:tab It was drizzling pretty good when we finally started up 183. I pulled off the tail of the group to gas up and then caught up to them just up the road. They had stopped and Will and John were gassing up. After that, it was just one lonnnngggg line of bikes stretching up the highway into the haze. Somewhere along the way I spot a bike falling out of formation and pull over to the shoulder. I pulled up and see that Matt has a very flat rear tire. John runs up to the rest of the group that has already pulled over and tells them to continue on and we'll catch up. I broke out the repair kit and got to work.

DSC03095.JPG

DSC03096.JPG

:tab We got the tire plugged. I used a bit too much goop and John told Matt to light it, as in on fire... Matt doesn't know any better as he's never changed a tire. So he bent over with his lighter and set the goop on fire. I'm thinking this is gonna be good and I don't have my camera handy!! When Matt saw the flames getting larger he reached down and patted out the fire. Fortunately, none of the flaming goo stuck to his hand. I started emptying CO2 cartridges into the tire but it seemed my little gizmo that holds the cartridges was letting a lot of the CO2 leak away and the tire was still only at 15 psi after five cartridges! Fortunately, John had one of the little gizmos as well and his did not leak. We gave the tire another shot or two and get it up to about 20 psi and started limping to the next town to look for an air pump. Turns out the next town with an air pump is over 20 miles away :-| We got the tire pumped up and made it the rest of the way to Hico, only about 15 minutes late!

:tab I have to admit that when we arrived, I was blown away by how many bikes were in the parking lot. Then, while standing there taking pictures, a butt load more bikes came cruising into the parking lot. I heard Doc's obnoxious Sprint and immediately knew it was part of the DFW crowd :lol: I guess it takes food to motivate people to endure cold wet weather to ride across the state to see a bunch of other nutcases :shrug:

DSC03097.JPG

DSC03098.JPG

DSC03099.JPG

DSC03100.JPG

DSC03101.JPG

DSC03102.JPG

DSC03103.JPG

DSC03104.JPG

DSC03105.JPG

DSC03106.JPG

DSC03107.JPG

DSC03108.JPG

DSC03109.JPG

DSC03110.JPG

DSC03111.JPG

DSC03112.JPG

DSC03113.JPG

DSC03114.JPG

DSC03115.JPG

DSC03116.JPG

DSC03117.JPG

DSC03118.JPG

DSC03119.JPG

DSC03120.JPG

DSC03121.JPG

DSC03122.JPG

DSC03123.JPG

DSC03124.JPG

DSC03125.JPG

DSC03126.JPG

DSC03127.JPG

DSC03128.JPG

DSC03129.JPG

DSC03130.JPG

DSC03131.JPG

DSC03132.JPG

DSC03133.JPG

DSC03134.JPG

DSC03135.JPG

DSC03136.JPG

DSC03137.JPG

DSC03138.JPG

DSC03139.JPG

DSC03140.JPG

DSC03141.JPG

DSC03142.JPG

DSC03143.JPG

DSC03144.JPG

:tab Once everyone was done eating, they started to drift out to the parking lot and head out. I think everyone wanted to get an early jump on the ride home because of the weather. I tried to get around and see as many of the people as I could, but there just wasn't enough time and too many people. So everyone needs to make it to a few of the rallys this year so we can spend more time just hanging out and shooting the breeze in the evenings after the riding is done!

:tab Not pictured is Mark McGuire (but I got his purty red R1200GS!!). He rode up from Houston, hung out with me for a while afterwards to help me out with planning the dualsport routes for the upcoming Colorado rally, and then rode all the way back to Houston. He normally lives in Crested Butte, Colorado. He's been riding offroad there for many years and his advice is greatly appreciated!! I just hope he can ride with us when we are there later in July.

:tab I think we were the last group to leave. Andy led the ride up and back to Austin. I had no idea what the route back would be. I just sat in the back and followed, a nice change from my normal duties. Andy did a great job of leading the group. We did not lose anyone, he always waited at intersections to make sure everyone was accounted for, and he only made one minor wrong turn! Not bad! The roads back were lots of fun although a bit dirty in places because of mud tracked onto the road from muddy pastures and driveways. I really enjoyed running at the back of the pack all day watching the other riders taking the corners.

:tab At one point I passed a Sheriff coming the other way. I was in the process of trying to catch up to the back of the pack... He tagged the brake lights but kept going, whew! When we reached Copperas Cove, we crested a hill on the edge of town to find the local LEO sitting just on the backside of a hill waiting. As soon as I went by, he pulled out and got right on my tail, following us all the way through town. Somewhere in the middle of town I spotted another LEO up ahead on the shoulder with his lights flashing :shock: Were they going to try to tag all of us for speeding? I was not actually speeding when I passed the local guy. Gotta wonder of the Sheriff got on the radio to give the locals a heads up that we were coming? Once I got up to the second LEO, I realized he had someone else pulled over and was not worried about us... Whew! Then I see the guy behind me peel off onto some side roads. As we continue through town I seem him racing down the side roads parallelling the main road, apparently trying to get ahead of us?! When he finally gets back over to the main road, we are already going by him and he sits there watching us. Friendly town, hehe. We reached the outskirts and he was gone, satisfied I guess that we were not going to cause any trouble.

:tab Somewhere in all the fun, we made a short stop. I don't think anyone needed gas, so it must have been a restroom and thawing break. :shrug: I've no idea where we were as I was just tagging along not paying attention.

DSC03145.JPG

DSC03146.JPG

:tab When we reached the edge of town at Leander, we pulled over so everyone could say goodbye and go their separate ways. I followed Casey over to his house nearby to see his wife Dawn and his bouncing baby boy, Seth. I had not seen Dawn for several years since Casey stopped working for us and moved off to Arizona without me... After a nice visit, I headed back over to Will's place to enjoy his fireplace :dude: Later, Bluedogok and his nice wife came up to meet us for dinner at Rudy's BBQ. We pigged out and had a great visit. When we got back to Will's I could hardly keep my eyes open.

:tab When I got up Sunday morning and looked out the window, I was not a happy camper. It was drizzling heavily and the temp was around 45F :-( We left around 2:00pm and started back to Huntsville. It rained most of the way and I don't think it ever got over 50F. I had on so many layers I could hardly move! When we finally got home, I had to whiz and I thought I was gonna pop before I could get all the gear off. :lol: I made it ;-)

:tab Despite the cold and wet, I still had a great time. I really need to figure out why my heated grips are not heating very well. Even with my monster thick winter gloves, my hands were quite cold. This despite my core being almost too warm! My new RF-1000 fogs up BAD! It was annoying because I had to keep the visor cracked slightly which made my face quite cold. I may have to invest in a breath guard. I never had this problem with my RF-800.

:tab I look forward to future meets where I can actually spend more time getting to know everyone. To that end, here is what I am working on for the rest of this year.

2005 Schedule

:tab I hope some of you can make some of those events! I really appreciate Chris and Rebecca's efforts in organizing this little get together. Till next time...

Adios,

Yup great writeup as usual.

BTW could it be that those thick gloves are insulating out the heat from your grips? Insulation works both ways, why I'm leaning towards heated glove liners if I can find em in XXL, or make my own if I can't.

:tab John, it is the same even with the thin gloves on. The grips are just not putting out much heat :roll: If I could find some good heated gloves that were not real thick and bulky, I might go that route. Of course, better wind protection on the hands would help as well. The handguards really don't block as much wind as you might think.

Adios,

Chris - Yup. Got home and it was still on. Thanks! I'm waiting for my Vietnam Vet plate that says "Wing" on it to come in. Gotta make sure I screw that sucker on tight. ;-)

Chuck - You've got a great eye. I went back and looked at the pic. You're absolutely right - very groovy! 8-)

Scott - Great write-up and pics. :clap I'm going to try and talk my Scott into doing a couple of your weekend rallies in the fall. We're planning a 10-day trip to Tennessee this June, so we won't be able to participate in any of your longer rallies this year. A couple of weekend fall rallies to Arkansas and the Hill Country may be do-able for us.

Until the next ride...
:chug:

Obnoxious, pah ! The soulful wail of the gruff 900 triple.

Good thing you didn't take pics at our table ... that could have been genuine obnoxious right there. :moon:

Thanks to all for a great time.
Keith for meeting us in Mesquite.
Zim for putting it together.
Squeaky for the very cool name tags.
The Koffee Kup for the great food and service.
All the Houston people for making the trip.
I think it was about the same distance for the DFW and Austin groups.
Some of you guys and girls went some serious miles for a piece of pie!
But pie wasn't really what this group is all about. Maxi and I are honored to be in your midst.
Here's to better weather for Marble Falls.

Awesome photos Scott!

You even got one of me and another one of my bandit! Hope the lense on your camera is OK!

heehee...

Back