• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pigs - who in traps them?

h2000fb

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Ramsey
I have a pig problem and hoping someone in the Waco area wants them bad enough to come trap them.

From what I hear, the method of using a larger pen and a trap door works the best for larger number of pigs and the smaller "traps" are much less successful.

However, if I cannot find anyone, I guess I would like to find the trap door already built so I just add hog panels off it to build the pen. Also looking for good trapdoor options/ideas in case I need to build it myself.

Talk to Dody. AKA Ghostrider1964..

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Tannerite is outta sight

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlVoSVnPMSI"]Big pig blown up with tannerite - YouTube[/ame]

Once trapped, what then?

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcompanypicniccompany.com%2F1379194817059_IMG_20130913_175753_618.jpg

If you have time, energy, and a little $ just buy about 5 cattle panels and plenty of t posts. Make a big circle and a V or funnel with the last 2 leaving about 8” opening. Prop it open and feed so they can come n go for a few weeks until they get spoiled. Then close it down to the 8” gap. They will push in but can’t get out. I cut off the last vertical rod on the panel so there are about 6” spikes to keep them from trying to push out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have time, energy, and a little $ just buy about 5 cattle panels and plenty of t posts. Make a big circle and a V or funnel with the last 2 leaving about 8” opening. Prop it open and feed so they can come n go for a few weeks until they get spoiled. Then close it down to the 8” gap. They will push in but can’t get out. I cut off the last vertical rod on the panel so there are about 6” spikes to keep them from trying to push out.

That seems simple enough. T-Posts I have. Panels? Used them up but can get some more.
Have you used this method before?

That's what amazes me about this whole problum in Texas , every wild pig I've killed was the best eating ever and at the price of pork in the grocery store these days it seemed like you would have hunters banging at your door wanting to harvest pigs . When I hunted if there was a pig in sight it hit the dirt first , if the deer hung around I got twice as much sausage . I cooked my fair share of whole hog years ago too but I don't eat that much any more and don't hunt either so I guess I'm part of the problum .

:popcorn:

Please post pix and vids. I gotta know how this works out.

It's been some years, but I went to a workshop with Greg Pleasant of the TPWD on hog trapping. I think he has been trapping commercially on the side for some time. IIRC, the panel traps need to be big enough that the older hogs can't see the back of it or they won't enter, so about half a football field. Otherwise you only catch a few younger hogs and the bulk of the herd goes free. Also there are only a few of processors in Texas who will take feral hogs. Greg's number is 979.540.6832. If he is not the right guy, he should know who is.

That seems simple enough. T-Posts I have. Panels? Used them up but can get some more.
Have you used this method before?

I’ve used the panel traps and as long as your patient and let them get used to going in and out for feed you can catch a bunch. Make it as round as possible. If there are 90 degree corners they will climb over each other to get out.

We have a huge hog problem in our families place between Anderson and Carlos Grimes County. Let me know if you are in the area and need some bacon.

I’ve used the panel traps and as long as your patient and let them get used to going in and out for feed you can catch a bunch. Make it as round as possible. If there are 90 degree corners they will climb over each other to get out.

Never thought about them crawling over each other to get out.

We have a huge hog problem in our families place between Anderson and Carlos Grimes County. Let me know if you are in the area and need some bacon.

Same down here in Wilson county. I put one of these in the freezer Friday.

ef95f1bc45b932a7c60916607ad4066e.jpg

That's what amazes me about this whole problum in Texas , every wild pig I've killed was the best eating ever and at the price of pork in the grocery store these days it seemed like you would have hunters banging at your door wanting to harvest pigs . When I hunted if there was a pig in sight it hit the dirt first , if the deer hung around I got twice as much sausage . I cooked my fair share of whole hog years ago too but I don't eat that much any more and don't hunt either so I guess I'm part of the problum .

You didn't smell the one I shot last weekend. Whew!

Anybody got night vision or thermals(scope/binoculars)?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Anybody got night vision or thermals?

I got my thermals on right now, this wind up here is bitter!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

[emoji1787]

I have a pig problem and hoping someone in the Waco area wants them bad enough to come trap them.

From what I hear, the method of using a larger pen and a trap door works the best for larger number of pigs and the smaller "traps" are much less successful.

However, if I cannot find anyone, I guess I would like to find the trap door already built so I just add hog panels off it to build the pen. Also looking for good trapdoor options/ideas in case I need to build it myself.
Are you on acreage?

I have access

75-80% of my place is brush. It would be nice to get a jump on em. Our spotlight efforts usually fail, don't want to get into dogs.

Back