• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Planning for upcoming Alaska trip

Reaction score
Hello folks,

We are planning a private group trip to Alaska this coming July. There will be 5-6 riders in our group. We will be shipping our bikes from Texas to Seattle and start our trip from there.

Couple of Questions:
1) anyone know an affordable shipping company to ship our bikes from Texas to Seattle?

2) Anyone ship their bikes like this before? Can you share estimate cost for shipping round trip?

3) Our final destination probably will be Anchorage. Any recommendation on stops along routes? Including Canada.

Initially, our plan was to start from Houston to CA and ride up north thru Canada then Alaska. However, due to time limit, we decided to ship out bikes this time.

Thanks a bunch!

...2) Anyone ship their bikes like this before? Can you share estimate cost for shipping round trip?

Roundtrip? But below you say your final destination will be Anchorage.

...3) Our final destination probably will be Anchorage. Any recommendation on stops along routes? Including Canada...

Number of stops really depends on your available number of days and whether you're riding only to Anchorage or back to Seattle also.

How many days do you have? That will make a difference on recommendations.

I'm planning my fourth ride up from Texas, but I prefer riding to shipping. What shipping will cost is more than the whole trip by riding. I leave June 1 from the Amarillo area. I'm allowing about three weeks for the ride this time. My previous trips have been 5 weeks, 2½ weeks, and 4 weeks. All from the same area in Texas.
There is also not an easy way to Alaska from Seattle area without quite a ride east to the routes.

Roundtrip? But below you say your final destination will be Anchorage.

Number of stops really depends on your available number of days and whether you're riding only to Anchorage or back to Seattle also.
Yes sir. Anchorage is where we will stay for few days and turn around back to seattle

I've thought about renting a U-Haul to haul the bikes but that might not work with your time crunch unless one person has time to drive the U-haul and meet the others.

I like Valkers suggestion primarily because that’s the way I had time to ride Alaska. Used https://www.akmotoadv.com/ both times and would again if I had the energy to. Rentals look expensive until you compare the total cost of shipping bikes or riding all that way, and you won’t arrive in Alaska to tired to enjoy your time there.

I rode from Dallas to the Arctic Circle, then down to Anchorage a few years back. Did not get the bragging right to say I made it to preudo bay😒, but that is ok I had enough by the time we got to the Artic circle.
We shipped the bikes back from Anchorage, then flew back home. In my opinion, it was the best way to get the trip done. No pressure, no hurry.

The trip took about two weeks, riding an average of 300 miles per-day. Limiting the riding time was definitely a key factor making the trip enjoyable.
We did and saw so much on the way up there. Went through and took the time to stop in yellow stone, Glacer park, Banff, Dawson Creek, Watson lake, Fairbanks and more.

I used the mile post magazine for basic planing. We did a lot of planing, but we kept things flexible too. If someone saw something that pick their attention we took the time to stop and look at it. Honestly, the US and lower part of Canada was as good as the Alaska portion of the trip.

Remember, the journey on the way there is the best part. You are going to miss so much if you try to go to fast.
I think I still have the planing agenda we put together for the occasion, pm me if you want a copy

Last edited:
Make sure you ride to Seward! It’s 2 hours from Anchorage on one of the top 10 most scenic roads in America and the town is the prettiest place in the state!

IMG_6009.jpeg

I've thought about renting a U-Haul to haul the bikes but that might not work with your time crunch unless one person has time to drive the U-haul and meet the others.
This is currently an option if shipping cost is too much. We are getting few quotes around locally to ship our bikes but in the upward of $8000+. Way too much

I like Valkers suggestion primarily because that’s the way I had time to ride Alaska. Used https://www.akmotoadv.com/ both times and would again if I had the energy to. Rentals look expensive until you compare the total cost of shipping bikes or riding all that way, and you won’t arrive in Alaska to tired to enjoy your time there.

Thanks.. but we want to ride thru Canada also. This is our first trip so probably 60% explore 40% enjoy. Thinking about taking Top of The World Hwy Canada to Alaska fairbanks then make our way to Anchorage. We will take lower routes back into Canada.

BTW, anyone rode thru Top of The World Hwy Yukon Canada to Alaska recently? This route open still? Heard there might be a closure. Anyone know where to check on this?

Hello folks,

We are planning a private group trip to Alaska this coming July. There will be 5-6 riders in our group. We will be shipping our bikes from Texas to Seattle and start our trip from there.

Couple of Questions:
1) anyone know an affordable shipping company to ship our bikes from Texas to Seattle?

2) Anyone ship their bikes like this before? Can you share estimate cost for shipping round trip?

3) Our final destination probably will be Anchorage. Any recommendation on stops along routes? Including Canada.

Initially, our plan was to start from Houston to CA and ride up north thru Canada then Alaska. However, due to time limit, we decided to ship out bikes this time.

Thanks a bunch!
We did the Alcan 5000 Rally in 2014 which started in Seattle and finished in Anchorage 9 days later.
The route followed the Cassiar Hwy. through the upper part of British Columbia which is the most direct route to Alaska.
Mileage ridden was 300-500+ miles ea. day and that was with no smelling the roses or sight seeing along the way.
You could probably shave a day or 2 off that if you can handle 700+ miles per day.

Back