• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Problem with a BMW rider in Fredricksburg

It's just people... riders used to be fun loving vagabonds who were pretty relaxed. Now days there are more massengill dispensers period and some of those bozos buy bikes.

This weekend coming back from Ruidoso I was in a group of 3 bikes. A sport bike, a cruiser, and me on the sport-tourer. We were doing the speed limit on 55 and got caught behind a group of slow moving bikes. We slowed down and gave them room for a few miles. I was a little annoyed that they made no effort to let us pass but let it go since I was having a great day and great ride. They were only going 30-35 mph but we waited till a straight away and put on the turn signal and started to pass.

Well the bikes started to speed up and drift towards the oncoming lane attempting to block us from passing. Being the back rider in our group I was up to 95 mph trying to pass before the upcoming sharp turn. I ended up having to pull a Valentino Rossi style late brake on the guy to back them off. The move backed him off enough to let me in back in the normal lane before the turn. I felt bad to slam on the brakes at the last second and scare the pants off another rider but when I looked back after the turn, there were four riders who broke off from thier group in and attempt to prevent us from passing them.

I was livid. What kind of idiot tries to intentionally wreck another rider for no reason on a winding road. This kind of "brotherhood" is one of the reasons I am starting to rethink the biker wave. The fact is there are more slimeballs than ever and we have to work harder than ever to prevent one of these morons from hurting us, our families. It's kind of sad if you think about.

Check PM

Yabut...it's everywhere in or on anything. Some people just think they are more important than everyone else. ME ME ME, MY hair is on fire, put ME out. :roll:

Well the bikes started to speed up and drift towards the oncoming lane attempting to block us from passing.

I was livid. What kind of idiot tries to intentionally wreck another rider for no reason on a winding road. This kind of "brotherhood" is one of the reasons I am starting to rethink the biker wave. The fact is there are more slimeballs than ever and we have to work harder than ever to prevent one of these morons from hurting us, our families. It's kind of sad if you think about.

My first question on this thread was to be "what does BMW have to do with the story"? That could have been left out of the title and the point would be made.

BUT...after reading Wes' response I will say that I was riding to Kerrville a few years ago and going through Gatesville there was a lengthy line of slow-moving 2-abreast bikes (some large American made nameplate). I am tailgunner and as we pass none of them move to make it easier for us and as an 18-wheeler is coming in my direction one of the riders starts to move left and hug the center line as I am next to him. It was scary and very disappointing that someone would make this move intentionally.

My first question on this thread was to be "what does BMW have to do with the story"? That could have been left out of the title and the point would be made.

BUT...after reading Wes' response I will say that I was riding to Kerrville a few years ago and going through Gatesville there was a lengthy line of slow-moving 2-abreast bikes (some large American made nameplate). I am tailgunner and as we pass none of them move to make it easier for us and as an 18-wheeler is coming in my direction one of the riders starts to move left and hug the center line as I am next to him. It was scary and very disappointing that someone would make this move intentionally.

Reading your's and Wes' story makes me angry and it wasn't me they did it to.
Though after doing a few track days I'm fairly comfortable being really close to other bike for short periods of time, so I probably would have crowded him back as needed to get into the correct lane, or just try and put as much distance bewtween me and the inconsiderate riders as possible

How does that saying go "It's not the nut that holds the handlebar to the bike, it's the nut that holds the handlebar that makes the difference" or sumthin' like that?

I've been riding in the Hill Country in full flight and had H-D riders politely wave me by. And I've nearly been run off the road by BMW riders (while riding my BMW) trying to prove that their bike can hit redline. Almost booted one off a steep road in Georgia when I pulled over for his group and he, without me knowing it, decided to pass me on my right. It takes all kinds :shrug:

I never judge a rider by the wheels they ride, just how they're riding them.

The original post was made to show that two 2 HD guys out enjoying a ride were:
1. Being friendly from the first meeting at a gas station (See bike wave and head nod)
2. Doing the speed limit … (not slow pokes blocking traffic)
3. Watching the area around them … (We saw the car and cop way ahead of time)
4. Giving the benefit of the doubt to a stranger and fellow biker … (made excuses for him)
5. Not allowing themselves to be drawn into Road Rage … (Didn’t confront him, and lead to more of the stereotyping of HD riders)

And I just see a lot of negativity surrounding HD riders and wanted to show that we (or at least 2 of us) are upstanding people that can ride the twisties too and know when to employ proper riding etiquette… We even spent the weekend at the Motorcycle museum looking at and admiring the bikes there… I have a love for all bikes and thus riders on the road… this guy just seemed to think he was better than everyone else… even the bike cop. So even though he was in full gear, he still turned out to be a squid in my eyes due to his actions…. I guess I stereotyped squids to sport bike stunters on open roads and HD riders in shorts and flip flops… And I am wrong for that. I was just amazed that for someone older with such a nice bike, all the proper gear, and the perfect day for riding, would ride like he did, in the area that he did… I mean who tries to do 50 in downtown Fredericksburg anyway, then go off on a bike cop? Anyway my Rant is over… & if I hurt anyone’s “feelings” because I said such things about rider of a certain brand… then I apologize. On the positive side, I waved at many riders this weekend that waved back on the twisties. BMW riders included…

No hurt feelings, just enjoying playing the other side of the rant for a while. :-P

Yep, and when you get into FBG the first pit stop is there on the square, so maybe he was in a hurry to get there. I know that is about the end of my Full-to-bursting distance.
:-):giveup:

Liked the Lukenbach video. I had a friend go over and participate, but I went thru most of the videos and didn't see her. There were some home brewed videos and a couple really well done ones, over on You Tube.:clap:

Problem with a BMW rider in Fredricksburg:
OK So my friend and I are winding down our 3 sisters trip and heading through Fredricksburg after stopping in Luckenbach...
We doing the speed limit and approacing town where the limit drops to 55 mph

We were gassing up at the Shell station out of town earlier when the BMW rider pulled along side to gas up as well... we nodeda and waved towards him with no reply... so we just let it go.. maybe he was tired or his mommma told him not to talk to strangers...
anyway back to the speed limit of 55 ..

Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Riders Don't Wave Back

10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm.
9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered "bad form."
8. Your bike isn't weird enough looking to justify acknowledgement.
7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock "comfort" seat.
6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod, XM, and talking on the cell phone.
5. He's an Iron Butt rider and you're not!
4. Wires from Gerbings is too short.
3. You're not riding the "right kind" of BMW.
2. You haven't been properly introduced.
1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture.

Yea...some Beemer riders have that arrogant attitude....

RB

Me thinks you should try your best to lead by example before trying to tell others how to be.;-)

6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod, XM, and talking on the cell phone.

RB

Your humor is OUTSTANDING!!:giveup: Thanks for my daily dose!!:rofl:

RB

Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.
8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
5. Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
4. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.
3. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.
1. They're too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.
9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.
7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
6. The espresso machine just finished.
5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.
3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature, and satellite navigation system.
1. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on dashboard.

Top Ten Reasons Why Sportbike Riders Don't Wave Back

10. They have not been riding long enough to know they're supposed to.
9. They're going too fast to have time enough to register the movement and respond.
8. You weren't wearing bright enough gear.
7. If they stick their arm out going that fast they'll rip it out of the socket.
6. They're too occupied with trying to get rid of their chicken strips.
5. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don't want to unbalance themselves while standing on the tank.
4. Their skin tight-kevlar-ballistic-nylon-kangaroo-leather suits prevent any position other than fetal.
3. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.
2. It's too hard to do one-handed stoppies.
1. They were too busy slipping their flip-flop back on.

Yea... Aren't we all.....:rider:

Mine stands up on it's own, but that's more from the dirt and road grunge than from the original stiffness.

I didn't know anyone still paid for the "comfort" seat. :)

Heh ... with Iron Butt certs having been given to everything from scooters to 250s to the Boss Hoss, don't know how a rider would know this just in passing.

This might be on to something. :)

But why isn't there an option saying we're too busy holding our spare final drive to have a free hand to wave? :p

I guess I stereotyped squids to sport bike stunters on open roads and HD riders in shorts and flip flops…

I was just amazed that for someone older with such a nice bike, all [the proper gear, and the perfect day for riding, would ride like he did, in the area that he did…

We're not all old. Heck, I don't even have a beard. I'm probably shaming the brand.

I do wear a 'stich though. And it kept me perfectly dry during my 50 mile commute in the downpour this morning.

A few can go a long way to damage any perception of the majority being decent riders.

The fact remains, the most jovial humanoids on motorcycles tend to be Honda riders....no negative perception except sometime their bikes seem a little sterile at the very most.

hondaad2.jpg

But why isn't there an option saying we're too busy holding our spare final drive to have a free hand to wave? :p

Ok...maybe ST1300 riders don't wave since they are concerned about losing control with their high-speed wobble or weave.

RB

Playing chicken with your motorcycle can prove to be fatal. Especially if your an inexperienced rider. Any one that does it most likely is that inexperienced rider. I find they are not very good at it, just reach out and touch them next time, :eek2: they well move over!:mrgreen: Learned that in racing, first couple of times it freaks you out! It did me.

Back