• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

::: PROJECT : Honda CX650 Café Racer - Made in Vietnam

WOW! What a change from fugly to beautiful! Wasn't sure about the project at the start but the result was worth waiting for! :clap: :rider:

So how does it ride/handle? Have you got the suspension adjusted?

You need to do a ride report and get some really good pics of it in front of some nice scenery. Then send me a copy so I can include it in the front page rotation for the forum ;-)

It really does look fantastic! :clap:

Sure I will, Scott.
Some retro bike magazines and websites have contacted me for the bike pix and story. However I am now having no spare time to make it in a properly way.
Preparing for an adventure trip this weekend. That would come up first.
-------

Btw, how about the thread-merge as you mentioned before, I am fine with it. Just the matter of forum technical. I think you can help.

Sure I will, Scott.
Some retro bike magazines and websites have contacted me for the bike pix and story. However I am now having no spare time to make it in a properly way.

:tab Awesome!! :bow:

Preparing for an adventure trip this weekend. That would come up first.

-------

Btw, how about the thread-merge as you mentioned before, I am fine with it. Just the matter of forum technical. I think you can help.

:tab I was thinking you would just start a single new thread. Maybe call it "Vietnam by Motorcycle". Then you could just update it every time you head out for one of your riding adventures. I would not merge this into it, but you could easily put a link in that thread back to this thread. That way the restore stuff stays separate and easier to view.

Some updated photos for your weekend view:

DSC09339-1_zpsd5af5fa9.jpg

TrungNT2_zpsca9795e5.jpg

DSC09320-3_zps3548299c.jpg

DSC09315-1_zpsa4f4d42b.jpg

I never knew a CX650 could look so good. Congrats. Excellent work. :thumb:

In a normal working day:

IMG-20131108-00459_zps4ce44abe.jpg

Little touch up has been done:
Seat-1_zpsaa275216.jpg

And we went for a ride:

DSC01577_zps0b78b688.jpg

With friend and his CB1000 cafe:
DSC01575_zpscae6bef5.jpg

DSC01585-2_zps9a1248fd.jpg

DSC01596_zps4622f3a1.jpg

Wow nice finish! I hadn't been here in a while. Now I have more inspiration for the spare cx500 frame/motor (and 6 boxes of cx parts left over from my DS/CX build) in the shed to do a cafe also.

Your build is stunning - and like I said - inspiring. Keep posting - thanks for sharing.

Glad I had missed this thread before and saw the transformation in one sitting!

Great looking bike. :clap:

Your bike turned out absolutely beautiful!
I posted two of the finished pics to another forum and the guys there were amazed, and very impressed.
A couple of months ago, I sold a pristine CX500, 1980 model with 5000 miles for $500, because I thought it was ugly and I couldn't see any project value with it.
Now, I am kicking My own butt! Well done!:rider:

I'm not particularly fond of the Paul Smart tank, but WOW that's a nice bike.

That bike turned out beautifully! Congrats on all the hard work paying off.

I like the CX bikes. Had I known someone was getting rid of a 500 for $500 I would have jumped on it.

Wow nice finish! I hadn't been here in a while. Now I have more inspiration for the spare cx500 frame/motor (and 6 boxes of cx parts left over from my DS/CX build) in the shed to do a cafe also.

Your build is stunning - and like I said - inspiring. Keep posting - thanks for sharing.
Thank you.
You should realize that the CX is a very reliable bike, stable and strong enough bike.
Waiting to see you build thread around here.

Sweet bike! The helmet is goes along perfectly.
Oh thanks. You won't believe that the helmet cost me $30 brand new :-P.
And for sure the below helmets look much better than mine:
bell-custom-500-roland-sans-hellfire-skratch.jpg

Glad I had missed this thread before and saw the transformation in one sitting!

Great looking bike. :clap:

Thank you. Btw, where have you been, Camilo? :rider:. I don't think you like such small bike :mrgreen:

Your bike turned out absolutely beautiful!
I posted two of the finished pics to another forum and the guys there were amazed, and very impressed.
A couple of months ago, I sold a pristine CX500, 1980 model with 5000 miles for $500, because I thought it was ugly and I couldn't see any project value with it.
Now, I am kicking My own butt! Well done!:rider:
****, that's killing price of a CX500. If building in Vietnam, you may need max $2000 to transform to a king or queen :lol2:

agreed - that is one good looking bike! :thumb:
Thanks.

I'm not particularly fond of the Paul Smart tank, but WOW that's a nice bike.
You know what, that tank is equal to an Adventure gas tank. Almost 20liters. :lol2: I filled it full and ride without any concerns for a month. LOL.

That bike turned out beautifully! Congrats on all the hard work paying off.

I like the CX bikes. Had I known someone was getting rid of a 500 for $500 I would have jumped on it.
Good luck on your finding.
However, I'd rather find a "not so cheap" bike to transform to a cafe racer. I saw so many people turn the very "old" and "problematic" bike to a cafe racer, then they have put a lot of effort, lots of manhours, then the finished bike sometimes still having problem with the engine, or the electric issues.

Back