• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Project365 - Photo a day for one year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracker

post tenebras lux
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
I'm sure you've seen photo threads where people post a daily photo for each day of the year.

I've decided to challenge myself to the do the same. Hopefully the challenge of shooting every day will help my composition, exposure and framing skills--as they say it's the eye behind the camera, not the camera.

I'd love to see some others take the challenge and join the journey.

The photo's a link to my launch.

I'll be too busy losing weight, working out, keeping my desk organized and cleaning my garage on 1/1/10. :lol2:

I tried it last year but ran into a problem with the hosting aspect. Now that I've got a smugmug account I think it'll be easier to do.

Looks like you have a nice start after a quick lookie-lookie.

Last edited:
I did a self-portrait Project 365 during OIF5 (that ended up being a project 426, since I did it from deployment date to return date), and kinda fizzled out on a 52 week challenge, and a later Project 365.

They are definitely fun to do, and can do loads to improve one as a photographer.

I did a self-portrait Project 365 during OIF5 (that ended up being a project 426, since I did it from deployment date to return date), and kinda fizzled out on a 52 week challenge, and a later Project 365.

They are definitely fun to do, and can do loads to improve one as a photographer.

Is that hosted on-line anywhere? I'd be interested to see a year in the life of a soldier.

365 Days from Iraq

Project 365 only got 80-something days into it.

Wow. Just wow is all about I can muster on the 365/Iraq show. IMO, you did an amazing job of capturing the lows to highs, environmental struggles and introspection aspects of a soldier. My hat is off to you for your service and the next time we meet, lunch is on me. :clap:

Cool thread Gary...

I'm thinking maybe a new sticky thread for just links to members 365 challenges. Thoughts?

sure. I'd love to see other's ideas.
In my mind, the challenge is not to post a picture a day, but to SHOOT a picture a day and then post a representative of the day. Not that I would exclude the first type of daily photo. It's really a Daily Shoot challenge, not a Daily Photo challenge.

sure. I'd love to see other's ideas.
In my mind, the challenge is not to post a picture a day, but to SHOOT a picture a day and then post a representative of the day. Not that I would exclude the first type of daily photo. It's really a Daily Shoot challenge, not a Daily Photo challenge.

Yes! totally on-board with your concept. I think anyone could just go bang out a shot a day and get it uploaded. But to make an image a day requires some thought and effort.

Do you upload them daily or a few at a time across several days?

Yes! totally on-board with your concept. I think anyone could just go bang out a shot a day and get it uploaded. But to make an image a day requires some thought and effort.

Do you upload them daily or a few at a time across several days?
for the most part, the same day I shoot them, unless I just run out of time in the day. On a couple of days, I've shot what I thought would be good, gone back and reshot because I wasn't happy with the first go-round.

Yeah, it's REALLY hard to actually get in a representative photo every single day - especially during a deployment or while taking a full course-load at school. I tried it, and clearly didn't quite succeed every day. Things got too swamped during my last attempt and I was just pushing the button to get something in for the day; I decided to throw in the towel.

I definitely intend to do the challenge again, because it really does help you grow as a photographer. A year is a long time, and the project can really help push you outside your normal comfort zone when you start feeling repetitive. Not sure when I'll do it again, but I will. The groups for Project 365, 365 Days (the self-portrait one), 52 Weeks, etc all have tons of threads for themed days, weeks, etc. Those help when you run into a wall of ideas.

Wow. Just wow is all about I can muster on the 365/Iraq show. IMO, you did an amazing job of capturing the lows to highs, environmental struggles and introspection aspects of a soldier. My hat is off to you for your service and the next time we meet, lunch is on me. :clap:

great job :clap: my fav pic is of the harmonica and thank you for your service:patriot:

thanks, to both of you.

Anthony, I enjoyed your visual log of Iraq, too. it captures the monotony and brutal conditions well. Thanks for your service, too.

If I complete this, my next one will be a 52 weekly shoot of people. Shooting people is like my photographic kryptonite. I really like seeing good candid shots of people in their element, but suck at it.

Then there's that whole social aspect of it. Trees could care less if you photograph them. Sometimes, people feel like you're invading their space (and sometimes you are.) The extreme would be the paparazzi. I love to see shots of kids playing, but I'd be reluctant to show up at the local playground and start shooting pics of kids on the jungle jim. I'd probably call the cops if I saw a single guy photographing kids at the park for no apparent reason.

well, made it 30 days thus far. This is harder than I thought. 335 pics to go.

Last edited:
Along the same lines, I saw a book today at the bookstore having to do with shooting the top 100 "Bucket List" items. Thumbing through the book, there were many 'challenges' to finish. Sort of seems like an interesting book on a few levels. Jeez, another 'project'. Just what I need.

Anthony, I enjoyed your visual log of Iraq, too. it captures the monotony and brutal conditions well. Thanks for your service, too.

If I complete this, my next one will be a 52 weekly shoot of people. Shooting people is like my photographic kryptonite. I really like seeing good candid shots of people in their element, but suck at it.

Then there's that whole social aspect of it. Trees could care less if you photograph them. Sometimes, people feel like you're invading their space (and sometimes you are.) The extreme would be the paparazzi. I love to see shots of kids playing, but I'd be reluctant to show up at the local playground and start shooting pics of kids on the jungle jim. I'd probably call the cops if I saw a single guy photographing kids at the park for no apparent reason.

Thanks. I agree about the people-shooting bit. I'm *really* good at one kind of people shooting, but uhh.. yeah that's not my job anymore. Generally speaking, getting in a shot of random people is just.. hard. I tried it once and it wasn't working so well for me so I reverted to my "take a photo of whatever I care about today" tactic.

Well I'm 30+ days and the challenge curve seems to be exponential. :sun: Limited sunlight is making it extra challenging this time of year.

Looking forward to seeing all you New Year resolution guys & gals getting started and learning from you. :mrgreen:

Perhaps I'll give another challenge a shot this year. I started a 52 week challenge last new years, and lasted only a few weeks. Maybe I've got more drive in me this year? Who knows!

Perhaps I'll give another challenge a shot this year. I started a 52 week challenge last new years, and lasted only a few weeks. Maybe I've got more drive in me this year? Who knows!

I'd say from scoping out your photog site you've got it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back