• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Reduction in Toll Rates for Motorcycles

grsa

Reaction score
OK this thought actually started in 2011.

Back then I thought the cost of a toll for a motorcycle should be less than a car and finally went before the county commissioners to discuss this.

I am including the video of the meeting and a link to the petition. Feel free to pass this link on to others that believe as I do that motorcyclists are paying an unfair amount for tolls.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/lowertolls4twowheelers

If you are appalled that he referred to us as Wildmen (about minute 4)sign the petition. If you believe that motorcycles are a positive for traffic flow, reduce wear and tear on roads and are more energy efficient sign the petition.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrnW5sOjWY4"]Glen Sanderson to HCTRA: reduction of toll fees for motorcyclists - YouTube[/ame]

My apologies if you tried to link to the petition. URL is fixed now. This petition is a 20% there. Only 800 more signatures to go.
One of my arguments is that since they know what vehicle is tied to the ez tag they should be able to charge accordingly.

Thanks,and if we Vann get this done one place we can try moving it to others as well. It would be nice if nationally they would recognize that motorcycles reducec wear and tear, enhanced mobility and reduce emissions. They certainly have the technology to do this.

Storey seems like a real stick in the mud. He opposes reducing rates for motorcycles and if he had his way would increase the rate for big rigs. There are other costs besides just wear and tear on the road ways due to motorcycle use. I signed the petition, but i would find it hard to believe if they reduce the rate, why would they? Out of fairness? Please! Storey and his ilk care nothing about fairness. They want to wring you for every dollar they can get and figure out how they can justify another increase or toll plaza.
At least that is the vibe I picked up. Toll roads are swell huh?

You are not the only one to point out his vibe. Maybe notjing will change but at least I have it a shot.
In. California they allow hybrid vehicles in the hov lanes with only one person

I have an Okie Pass transponder for OK toll roads and the EZ Pass transponder for all the northeastern state toll roads for trips on my Goldwing. I love the convenience of rolling through the toll booths at speed without the need to stop, shift into neutral, remove gloves, pull out wallet, etc.

Unfortunately, the toll fees are the same for a 1000 lb. Goldwing on two wheels as for my six wheel Dodge-Cummins quad cab flatbed truck with a GVWR of 12,500 lbs.

The states charge tolls by axle counts instead of weight. That doesn't seem reasonable.

I for one can't stand toll roads and avoid them as much as possible. But that's another story.

I was headed to Canada a few years back on my Goldwing pulling a small cargo trailer when out of the wild blue wonder up pops a toll booth in the middle of no where.
I was charged for 3 axles! Same rate as a dump truck or large box truck.
I know that the toll taker didn't set the rate, but I let her know what I thought about it.

Yes the inequities abound. You would think when they can read a newspaper from space they could figure out how to charge based on vehicle type or weight.

Oklahoma has specified toll fees for two axles, four axles, or more. Three axles is not an option. I don't know what a toll collector will charge for a two wheel motocycle pulling a single axle trailer.

The holder of an OK "Pike Pass" can determine how many axles he will be charged for when transitting OK Turnpike toll roads by accessing his account from a home computer.

Bottom line is that motorcyclist pay a disproportionate share for the roads base on wear and tear. They build special lanes for bicycles costing taxpayers. Giving a break to motorcyclists should be doable.

You all did catch the respondents implication.. that we "wildmen motorcyclist" cost "HIM" and "HIS" toll road system a additional cost over other vehicles. Makes me wounder if he is speaking to the additional cost of cleaning up broken bits of Stunta and their bikes as they toss um down the toll roads in what seems like weekly events

He also last three days. I don't recall see any major wrecks or very many bikes on the road during that cold snap. My guess he doesn't like bikes. Also now over 25% .

No one else is interested in this? Only 249 sigs so far. When is the deadline GRSA?

I would like to have this completed by next meeting with the commissioners court 25th of February.

This is posted on two forums that I know of. Going too try to get on radio ti promote. Hopefully by the next meeting I go too I can have at least half

I just signed the petition and said:

"I agree that motorcyclists pay disproportionately in tolls and fees. Motorcycles and scooters can be a sensible part of the transportation mix and help alleviate congestion. If they are treated with respect and given some fair incentives, then more responsible people will choose to use them for daily transportation (as many of us already do). Labeling motorcyclists as "wildmen" only shows a willingness to give in to closed-minded generalizations. Read up on confirmation bias. Sign me up in favor of this proposal!"

:rider:

Any update of what happened with the petition? I never hear about it before....sorry

Just saw this. I agree with the points you made. But to El Fenix's point, that ain't happening. If anything they'd just raise car rates, and Truck rates, and leave motorcycle at the existing rate.

Back