• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Scammer alert

This can be deleted too if it's out of line, or I'll delete it. But yea, it seems scammers are all over the boards of all groups. The last guy in my for-sale post seemed to be one. It was all hot and heavy at first. He lives in Vegas, I told him I'd help him out and deliver it to him once the money was received seeing my son now lives there. As SOON as I said I'd bring it to him comms stopped. Came back and said no thanks due to the set up time. It's a flip the top and extend 4 polls. Less time than some tents. He joined June 29th, only one post asking to go PM and hasn't been back. When it's large sums, I only go through my bank. And when they say it's safe, then you get it.

we're looking into it....
Im also a member on Stromtrooper forum. They now have a feedback feature for sales/purchases similar to ebay.
Also...if your item sells you can mark it SOLD with a button push. This removes the listing from view. It can also be reactivated in case a sale gets cancelled or?
All features very easy to access...which is critical in gettn folks to use these.

Im also a member on Stromtrooper forum. They now have a feedback feature for sales/purchases similar to ebay.
Also...if your item sells you can mark it SOLD with a button push. This removes the listing from view. It can also be reactivated in case a sale gets cancelled or?
All features very easy to access...which is critical in gettn folks to use these.
Are they using XenForo as forum software? Scroll to the bottom of any page and let me know what it says.

Are they using XenForo as forum software? Scroll to the bottom of any page and let me know what it says.
From the StromTrooper page ....

Screen Shot 2022-07-31 at 18.47.54.png

I also received a similar message out of the blue. The fella,zpromax777, posted three seemingly random threads. Remember that odd post about the klr kickstand being too long? It just screamed ‘ripped post from somewhere else’ to me. Plus, the entire message seemed fishy. Who has a single pannier that they want to get rid of?

zpromax777 has been deleted.

Wow. Stupid people out there can't even read the thread before duplicating the scam :-) Here is the new one today:

Hello,

I recently purchase some items from @TossingLead, he's willing to sell GPS mount & wiring for Zumo 396. You can email him at richardparker00309@gmail.com if he still have it available.

Thanks.

Maybe we can we code a permissions challenge, for instance a 2 week wait time before posting items for sale or responding to wanted posts? That might slow it down. Right now its just crazy to participate with these freaks out there attempting to prey on us. The latest zero poster pamcraford needs to be deleted .

Wow. Stupid people out there can't even read the thread before duplicating the scam :-) Here is the new one today:

Hello,

I recently purchase some items from @TossingLead, he's willing to sell GPS mount & wiring for Zumo 396. You can email him at richardparker00309@gmail.com if he still have it available.

Thanks.
If you will post the usernames of the people sending these messages, I can delete them.

The BIG problem is scammers are not totally stupid. They have people that sit down, go through the registration processes on sites like TWT, and figure out what kinds of answers are needed for security questions intended to weed out scammers. They are good at spoofing IP addresses to make them look legit, etc,... We manually approve every account and it is getting increasingly difficult to tell the difference between legit and scammer. Sadly, the only way to find out sometimes is to let them in and wait until they do something stupid so we know for sure and can then delete them. I am inclined to do this rather than just keep out anyone even remotely suspicious because it can and does sometimes knock out the legit people. Sometimes I will google the username and they will show up in other forums and I can tell if they have been banned in those forums, but ultimately we cannot know for sure.

Without a feedback score system it's hard to know for sure beyond your own due diligence and gut instinct.

If you will post the usernames of the people sending these messages, I can delete them.

The BIG problem is scammers are not totally stupid. They have people that sit down, go through the registration processes on sites like TWT, and figure out what kinds of answers are needed for security questions intended to weed out scammers. They are good at spoofing IP addresses to make them look legit, etc,... We manually approve every account and it is getting increasingly difficult to tell the difference between legit and scammer. Sadly, the only way to find out sometimes is to let them in and wait until they do something stupid so we know for sure and can then delete them. I am inclined to do this rather than just keep out anyone even remotely suspicious because it can and does sometimes knock out the legit people. Sometimes I will google the username and they will show up in other forums and I can tell if they have been banned in those forums, but ultimately we cannot know for sure.
You are right. Stupid is not the correct term. Corrupt at heart may be a better description perhaps? I don't know how they live with themselves. Pamcrawford was the user name of the last one. Domierud was the first one. We all appreciate what you do to try to slow em down. I certainly don't have an answer for it, but I know some sites restrict me for a couple days when I sign up, and maybe that's sufficient discouragement if I were a scammer, but for someone trying to get $35-$100 from me, they probably have plenty of time on their hands :-)

Back