• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Shnf routes?

Reaction score
Planning a trip to shnf area the weekend of nov 26th. Was curious if any one was familiar with the local camping spots and if they recommended any of them. Also looking for a gpx for a route that’s klr friendly for a day loop in that general area. The more dirt the better.

Cheers

@William Wolfen has them in his drop box which I can't find. Buy he can fix you up or do as I do and just explore. There's lots there, with hunting season a lot of usually closed gates are open leading to more exploring. Only problem, those roads you have to turn around and back track. They're dead ends. Plenty to do.

Camping is primitive at Kelly Pond, in between at Stubblefield, and full service at Cagle.

From website

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221108-154918_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221108-154918_Chrome.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 64
Here's my drop box of routes. No guarantee they're all passable, but the ones in the SHNF should be.

Don't get stuck, shnf is very sandy in areas where the vegetation is gone. Most of the trails are really for true dirt bikes and enduros but you already know your limits on a fat heavy klr. All I'm saying you can't always expect someone else might be around to help you get unstuck, I've been there before and seen no one else and other times had 10 guys racing paste in tight sections in the trees. Also watch out for morons walking the trails, so many people think that those trails are hiking routes.

Don't get stuck, shnf is very sandy in areas where the vegetation is gone. Most of the trails are really for true dirt bikes and enduros but you already know your limits on a fat heavy klr. All I'm saying you can't always expect someone else might be around to help you get unstuck, I've been there before and seen no one else and other times had 10 guys racing paste in tight sections in the trees. Also watch out for morons walking the trails, so many people think that those trails are hiking routes.
Thanks for the info. I had no intention of riding any single track or trails. Was planning to roam around the public roads in and around the forest area.

Thanks for the info. I had no intention of riding any single track or trails. Was planning to roam around the public roads in and around the forest area.
Sand can be a chore but I ride them occasionally on my BMW 850 with 50/50 tires. But it is a chore in places! But some of it as lot of fun. I'm been going out there enough to know where to explore and where not to.

Have to admit not much fun when this happens and you're alone! I had to call for help. Just couldn't get the beast up. I'm not on the trails as much anymore, lol.
0408BE58-4CDD-49CD-B440-BBA870D34E0C.jpeg

Back