• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Shopping and looking - need guidance - purchased

mitchntx

Follower of Rev. Doug
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
Warren
I'm not as well versed in dual sport/off-road bikes as I should be. There are a LOT of choices out there.

I've been looking at this one ...
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/d/2005-honda-crf-230-electric/6403163302.html

It has two of the three things I think I need ...

Electric start ... bad knees.
Air cooled ... less complicated.

I'd like to have fuel injection, but those versions are quite spendy still.

I'm a big guy ... 6' and 270 and wanting something a little less spirited than MSF-OR Brad's 690 or 525. I'm looking for a little less green-broke filly and more brood mare-ish.

I'm not looking to ride the divide, but would like to get off pavement a bit more in and around Big Bend, Davis Mountains and southern New Mexico.

Last edited:
Re: Shopping and looking - need guidance

There is some perspective in this thread. There is also a link to a 230l which is basically the same bike just street legal from the factory.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116021

ThrasherG's wife here on TWT rides a 230F also.

I saw that. But there is a grand difference in asking price.

Thanks for the link.

I'll pitch out two considerations. First is size. Throw a leg over several models and see if you like them sitting down and standing up. I've got a cute little DR200 for sale, but frankly it's too small for a 6 footer. I'd make the same argument regarding a TW200. Second is power. Unless Grandbury has changed since I moved away, traffic on the FM roads averages 65 - 70mph. So decide how much riding you will be doing on faster roads (if any) and size your bike accordingly. Frankly, I were looking for a single small dual sport, it would be a DRZ400 and I'm not a Suzuki guy either. Good luck.

thanks.

I don't think I'll be doing much pavement, if any.
I have a couple other, more appropriate candidates for that.

Davheed is a bigger gent and gets around really well on a WR250.

The WR250R has considerably more power than a 230F or L. The Honda is about 18HP, the Yamaha about 26/28 depending on who you talk to. The Yamaha has better suspension too.
I will add though, that I know a few guys that are happy on the 230s.

Last edited:

Might give a crf250l a look. It might fit your height a bit better. It has a bit more power than the 230 electric start and more suspension travel, fuel injected and great mileage. They are going to be a bit more expensive than 1500 but much better bike IMHO.

Mitch, I know where you can get a heck of a deal on a drz400:trust:

You mentioned Big Bend as a destination. To legally ride BB you'll need a street legal bike and the one you're looking obviously isn't.

remember in Texas it is very easy to make almost any motorcycle road legal.. All of my DS bikes (CRF230F, CRF450X (3 off), CRF250X) were not originally road legal but they are all now titled and insured, it didn't take very long or cost much, so that shouldn't be a big concern. Find a bike that feels a good size for you. I would think a CRF230F would be too small for you, they are small, light and very reliable (perfect for a short wife!!) but someone of your size & weight would dwarf it and the suspension. The CRF250X and 450X are superb bikes and make great DS bikes if you get them registered (count on $300 to make them road legal) but they still have carbs!! I cant think of any air cooled dirt bikes with fuel injection and electric start.. there is the new CRF450RX but that is out of budget!!

I tell you Mitch, a DR-Z either 400 or 650 is hard to beat. I know a guy who can mod the pee out of it for you, probably for a beer or two...just saying.

I think that the little bikes can offer some serious fun. It comes down to expectations and how you measure fun. In the case of hauling it to some destinations and just cruising backroads they are more than adequate. They will easily run posted speed on most two lane roads and exceed speed limits on forest and park roads. Low seat means easy on and off, getting a foot down in an off camber situation. Sure they don’t have 12” of suspension but most never use much. Most will choose a bike with more power and suspension, but it is not necessary.

There have been numerous discussions about slowing down on public roads. Some claim dust bothers land owners, others claim spooked livestock, while others claim it’s just plain dangerous and irresponsible. So which is it you need a fire breathing bike that can run 100mph or something to get you out riding.

I will choose the fire breathing beast most times. I like a bike that can scare the crap out of me from time to time. I ride to fast on back roads and have to remind myself to slowdown. I like to cover ground and don’t look at scenery too much. I am sure I have angered land owners and others on more than one occasion.

I do have an xr250 that is plated. It is my mostly for my son to ride in the dirt. I do however take it out for a spin from time to time. The way it Is geared it tops out at 70mph down hill. I usually take it on a back road loop of about 40 miles with one 2 mile stretch of 60mph. I have never had a bad time on it.

I hope that once we solve this big bike vs little bike thing we tackle some other important issues. Like which DS tire is the best....Which oil is the best....Analog or digital gauges....North up or direction of travel on gps....
You get the idea.

These bikes will lose little value if any, so my advice buy it and try it. In the end if you get out and ride enjoy it.

Last edited:

DR 650. Easy to find. Suspension upgrades abound for larger riders. E-start. Air cooled. I put many miles on mine.

thanks.

I don't think I'll be doing much pavement, if any.

I have a couple other, more appropriate candidates for that.

Davheed is a bigger gent and gets around really well on a WR250.

I resemble that comment! [emoji23]. Lol. Simmons1 also has a WR250R and rides some pretty difficult terrain with it. I think they’re great little bikes. Will run 70 mph on the flats. Has pretty good support in the aftermarket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mentioned Big Bend as a destination. To legally ride BB you'll need a street legal bike and the one you're looking obviously isn't.

This is very true. Even big bend ranch state park (BBRSP) requires a plated bike and those roads are rough.

Are you coming to ice cream tonight? You can take a spin on my WR if you are and you let me know. Otherwise I’ll ride the GS.

Kind offer.
Doubt I'll make it tonight.

Picked up the CRF230F for my wife and I really like it a lot. It's far far far from a race bike, but if you just want to zip around off road it's a solid little bike. Maybe a little too little for someone 6' though.

I'd really opt for the L model though if going with the 230 as it's already street legal, geared different with a bit more gas and a few other things. We were set on the F because she's riding with me and my son so she'll never need any of that following a 70cc bike around. At least not for a long time. The L model will allow you to easily go places that require a plate. By the time you've spent the money on a lighting kit and done the install and everything, you might as well have sprung for the L and gotten all of that and more. Keep an eye out, deals are out there.

That said, if you want a fun little tank of a bike that'll go anywhere, albeit slower, the CRF230 bikes are real gems.

find a DR350 e-start. i have had an e-start, good little bike. i now have a kick start 1992 and really like it better than the button model.

Pick it up tomorrow.

Has a couple issues that I'm sure OldTLSDoug can fix while I surf the net and drink his beer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back