• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

RIDE TO EAT: Slacker Thursday 2/8, to the Gap

These have worked great for me for the last 20 years. They require no glue and don't seem to ever dry out. They install a little different than normal plugs helping make it harder for one to come out.

I think you can get them on Amazon now.

No glue? Oh yeah, I always have glue. I just don't know if I can get it out of the tube. Or if it'll be all over the inside of the bag.

Regular tool work?

Mitch used to carry those, had them in both of his bikes, said they worked great. That might be the ticket for my sporty bike. Might have to actually carry a compressor, but I could carry little CO2 bottles and an inflator rig. Thanks Rich, maybe you gave Mitch that idea, he swore by them. Of course, if I am on a TWT ride, you guys all carry that stuff.

I do think it is ironic that my first ride on the beemer with the TWT crowd ended up in a flat. Jeff said the bike sat low, and asked if it had a lowering kit. Larry said, "Hey, you got a flat tire." So lucky that I ride with so many well prepared and helpful folks. I think I will get me some Nealy Kits and spread them around. Wonder if they are good for the same 135+ mph that the patch RZ500rich gave me?

Of course, if I am prepared for a flat, then I guess I am a step closer to adventure riding, I need to be careful...LOL

Ok, bought me some Nealy Tire repair kits (2) and now I will find a small inflator of some sort and I will be in business. Or I can help a fellow rider out. Thanks Rich.
The Stop and Go compressor is pretty small and fits under the seat of most of my bikes even without stripping the housing off like some people do. Mountain Bike pumps are longer but fit better on some bikes and work surprisingly well even for a big GS tires. I think the one I had on the motorcycle is a Topeak Mega Morph. With bicycle pumps you want one designed for high volume mountain bike tires and one that’ll work on a Schrader valve (many have heads that can be converted between Schrader and Presta). Road bike pumps are designed for low volume and high pressure and will take forever to air up a big tire. I’ve tried out of curiosity since I have multiple examples of both.
CO2 inflators are smaller than both but I imagine it would probably take a full big cartridge or two to inflate a rear tire on these bigger bikes. I experimented with them when I was riding the DRZ400 and decided they were just okay for that application. By the time you carry a handful of cartridges it’s not much, if any smaller, than the reusable options.
The other problem with plugs and CO2 is I’ve seen any number of plugs fail to seal and a second or third attempt is needed. That’s why I always go straight to rubber cement on a bacon strip and carry a compressor or MTB pump. I treat the rubber cement tubes as one time use items and replace them after each use.

Back