• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sold Wife’s 2011 Prius

Goforth

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Selling my wife’s 2011 Prius, right now she has an offer from Carvana for 6k. I’d prefer to sell private party at that price instead of letting a corporation take it and sell at higher.
C1A47008-6181-436B-A3DB-7AE960F15BD6.jpeg

It’s been a fantastic car for us. 187k miles. Gets over 45mpg. It’s a Prius 4, which means leather interior and navigation. We replaced the main battery and new brakes this year. Aside from that, it’s only needed oil changes. Always maintained by Bearden auto in Austin.
18398F73-015D-4C97-B98C-96ACFF318A2D.jpeg

705B34C8-A7D3-4DBB-BE26-59E3816A506E.jpeg

No accidents. Normal wear on driver leather seat. 4 Michelin tires bought in 2020

9FF026BA-D3F0-4B09-BC10-93B0DE6E9A35.jpeg

0FFDD29A-52AC-46A3-8234-E2C7411FAFAB.jpeg

Super reliable vehicle good to go for another 180k miles

Attachments

• 614CF90D-73CD-49AE-9384-562B9128D088.jpeg
    614CF90D-73CD-49AE-9384-562B9128D088.jpeg
    516.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 21026DA3-D862-4DEF-8488-50D59D474C07.jpeg
    21026DA3-D862-4DEF-8488-50D59D474C07.jpeg
    621.1 KB · Views: 40
This is not a plug in model, correct?

When you say "replaced main battery" are you meaning the regular 12v lead acid car battery or the big lithium ion battery?

I am looking at vehicles for my son and this is in his price range, and I think I would rather him have something like this than the Crown Vic he is wanting.

DIY replacement? Pretty cool.
Definitely interested, will bug my son in the morning and see if he is interested at all.
Maybe me covering the difference between the Crown Vic and this will sway him some.

First question will be does it have bluetooth radio

Last edited:
DIY replacement? Pretty cool.
Definitely interested, will bug my son in the morning and see if he is interested at all.
Maybe me covering the difference between the Crown Vic and this will sway him some.

First question will be does it have bluetooth radio
It does have Bluetooth. Prius and a PI crown Vic would be a wide valley to cross 😂

It does have Bluetooth. Prius and a PI crown Vic would be a wide valley to cross 😂
Yeah, I know it is a stretch.
He also wants a Miata, a WRX, a BRZ, and Mini Clubman and I have no idea what else he has been looking at.

He just is not happy with his 18 year old Hyundai Sonata (and I admit it is not much to look at, and the A/C belt squeals all the time,), but the car works well and really has no mechanical issues. The car kinda fell into my lap when my nephew joined the Air Force about the same time my son started driving, during the middle of the price gouging used car market. My nephew said I could have it for what he paid for it ($1500), even though he had put almost $5,000 into repairs on the car in the past year before we got it.

Curious if that was the 1st battery replacement...so 11 year life and what is the replacement cost ?
Thanks

Curious if that was the 1st battery replacement...so 11 year life and what is the replacement cost ?
Thanks
It was the first battery replacement. It was $1200 and I did the swap using this battery https://www.greentecauto.com/hybrid-battery/toyota-hybrids/toyota-prius-v-remanufactured-cell

I don't know if it's a common thing. Bearden Auto saw a pending code for the battery when she took it in for an oil change earlier this year. They said it could last a week or a year. I decided its best to fix. Bonus was that after the swap, she saw an improvement in mileage. I reckon the electric motor was able to assist more after fresh juice.

May be off topic, but isn't Carvana about to declare Bankruptcy?

FYI: I swapped the battery on my 2006 Prius in 2018 at about 150k miles. I used a service in Austin that comes to your house and swaps the battery in the driveway. Came with a 2 year warranty, and IIRC it was $2k-ish. My mileage had dropped into the low 40's and would show nearly fully discharged after sitting for more than a day. New battery was, well, like new and back to low 50's MPG. I know someone with 100k miles on a second battery and no issues at all...

Well, there is a bit of interest from my son, but he wants to go look at a Crown Vic we had an appointment for today.
I think if he saw it and drove it, he would be in for it since they are nice little cars, especially with this one being a nicely optioned one, but being you are in Austin and us in Katy, it would be Thursday at the earliest, but probably Sunday before we could make it out there.

Last edited:
Fact: Prius is one of the most practical vehicles on market. It's roomy inside, has lots of cargo space and gets excellent fuel economy. Also fact: It's soulless and was my wife's car. She got to offset the carbon footprint of my land cruiser

Hmmm, I've been thinking of getting a more fuel efficient vehicle for my long commute and currently have a Grand Marquis (pretty much the same as a Vic) that it could be replacing. :trust:

View attachment 336499
Hmmm....

Fact: Prius is one of the most practical vehicles on market. It's roomy inside, has lots of cargo space and gets excellent fuel economy. Also fact: It's soulless and was my wife's car. She got to offset the carbon footprint of my land cruiser
Reminds me of when we had our mini van.
I hated to say I owned one, but it did everything I could ever ask of it and was a good, reliable vehicle. Hauled people, lumber, cement, toys, and all kinds of other stuff.

Prius battery is Ni-MH.
Better than lithium in extreme temperature conditions but less energy density and peak output. Works well for the hybrid Prius.

Great car. Better in-town gas mileage than many motos. I recall reading the interior volume qualifies it as a mid-size.
Driver will seldom complain about the price of fuel.
GLWS

GF, impressed on your DIY battery replacement. Didn't know they could not be plugged in, is there a DIY for that? It would be nice to be able to use the plug for local rides.

I like the workbench juxtaposition of Prius parts and 2A stickers! Reminds of a bumper sticker: "Don't let the car fool you. I'm saving gas money for more ammo!"

This looks like one heck of a deal. I didn't wake up this morning thinking about a Prius but I've been scratching my beard about it this afternoon!

My daughter’s roommate has that car with similar mileage…. Loves it no issues.

Wow - love the work bench with the sink…. Did you design that?

GF, impressed on your DIY battery replacement. Didn't know they could not be plugged in, is there a DIY for that? It would be nice to be able to use the plug for local rides.
There were a few pop up companies in 2009-2012 timeframe, but when Toyota came out with a plug in hybrid in 2012, it was just cheaper and less hassle to sell the old one and get a plug in from Toyota from what I read.

Trying to work out a meet up time with Goforth to take a look at it (fingers crossed it is not sold to wife's friend).

My daughter’s roommate has that car with similar mileage…. Loves it no issues.

Wow - love the work bench with the sink…. Did you design that?
Yes, Built a Morton’s shop on our land. Bench and all cabinets were built by me and a friend. It’s just cheap butcher block countertop I found on sale at Lowe’s. The sink has a small tankless water heater. Rain collection system on the shop is more impressive, but this thread is to sell my wife’s Prius 😂

Hmmm, I've been thinking of getting a more fuel efficient vehicle for my long commute and currently have a Grand Marquis (pretty much the same as a Vic) that it could be replacing. :trust:
What kind of avg MPG does this car get? I've kinda been wanting a Crown Vic for a commuter just to keep miles off my truck.

Back