• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

stealth camping

Reaction score
Colorado, Utah,Big Bend to far away? not enough vacation time left?
camp anywhere just cause you can.
I see "green" zones all over the city (San Antone) where a person or persons may be able to just pull in and spend a night totally undetected.
this could be a game like geocaching.
this redefines ADVENTURE RIDING
or am i just crazy?

Among the key tenets of geocaching are "Obey the Law" and "Get Permission".

Not sure that's implied in your suggestion, my apology if it is, that might be made clearer.

Personally I don't think it's in the best interests of the motorcycling community to promote surreptitious camping just because one might be able to get away with it.

Last edited:
Among the key tenets of geocaching are "Obey the Law" and "Get Permission".

Not sure that's implied in your suggestion, my apology if it is, that might be made clearer.

Personally I don't think it's in the best interests of the motorcycling community to promote a 'game' involving surreptitious camping just because one might be able to get away with it.

One could claim to be homeless. They get away with it.

One could claim to be homeless. They get away with it.
Lots of behavior is 'gotten away with' .... doesn't mean it's anything to aspire to or promote.

IMHO good relations between the motorcycling and non-motorcycling communities is a precious and valuable thing for both groups. One reason I've long respected the TWT community is it's IMHO predominance of folks that understand the value of that relationship. Lacking clarification I'm not so sure the OP's notion is in that spirit.

Last edited:
More than glad to heap 'positive waves' on positive ideas. You did invite feedback though I avoided a direct answer to your direct question. Keep thunking.

Last edited:
Colorado, Utah,Big Bend to far away? not enough vacation time left?
camp anywhere just cause you can.
I see "green" zones all over the city (San Antone) where a person or persons may be able to just pull in and spend a night totally undetected.
this redefines ADVENTURE RIDING
or am i just crazy?

I like it. Green zones belong to citizens, but the legalists won't care for it once detected because you have taken the mask off they gave you to wear. You know it the one with the big smile that proclaims I am fine and I got it all together in our cookie cutter world :mrgreen: - ZONE

I ride the green zones in SA on my bicycle..........rig some camping gear on the bicycle and go for it, that would be interesting. I do see kids go back in the woods and do their thing..................

always with the negative waves.

forget I even thunk it up.

I’m with you v went to Oklahoma a wile back and saw lots of places to camp same thought as you who cares about permission wen there’s no house for miles. Plus I don’t think you or me or hopefully anybody on here would litter. But still great idea I’m already planing on trespass camping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the surface, sounds like a fun idea. There a lots of 'green' spaces everywhere, especially in the more rural communities and small cities. The chance taken by camping is the property might be private. And private property, at least in Texas is posted by law. If caught and you're lucky, you might just be told to leave.

On the surface, sounds like a fun idea. There a lots of 'green' spaces everywhere, especially in the more rural communities and small cities. The chance taken by camping is the property might be private. And private property, at least in Texas is posted by law. If caught and you're lucky, you might just be told to leave.

Yep. We had a lot of problems with people trespassing when we first got our place out of town. Sadly now we know the sheriff's deputies and the law all too well. Most people out in the countryside are pretty friendly, as long as you know them, but setting up camp on private property is going to be a big hassle when you get caught. Personally I'd have a hard time sleeping wondering if I was going to get rousted in the middle of the night by some angry rancher and a deputy.

Remember that somebody owns that land and using it without their permission is like them joyriding your bike.

As for public property, it is owned by the public and regardless about how we may feel about it, the public has spoken and made some lands open to camping and other lands not. I single fine will likely be worth several nights fee at a nearby Corps of Engineers park.

There is plenty of free and cheap camping in Texas, but those looking for boondocking opportunities need to head west where all the land isn't privatized.

Roger Lovin had a chapter devoted to free camping in his 1974 book, "The Complete Motorcycle Nomad." If I can find that book, which is lost on one of many bookshelves in my house, I'll give you his highlights for in-town and by-the-road camping. What I do remember about camping along the highway is are two suggestions: Don't cross a fence without permission, and if you see a farmhouse nearby, go knock on the door and ask.

https://www.campendium.com/colorado/free-camping

Some camp spots are super cheap Tim knows each and everyone I think in Colorado.:deal: KOA is reasonable as well as those camp grounds marked with a little yellowish trailer sign all over Colorado. The honesty ones where you slide your money into the slot your staying. Think it was maybe 5 bucks a night. And as a bonus they have restrooms. Nearly free and I think you can camp at most national park lands as long as your so far off the road.

Tru dat. I am the King of Cheap Camping. All other claimants are imposters. But that's strictly for national forest camping. When it comes to private land or urban camping, I'm way out of my element.

[ame="https://youtu.be/9o6b0lAJlO0"]Dispersed Camping: How to Live Rent-Free #2 - YouTube[/ame]

This might help some also???

Interesting video. And it pretty much lines up with what I've been told over the years. One thing, though. Despite one of the pictures posted in the vid, I wouldn't advise trying to free-camp in a national park.

I saw someone park their Class A diesel pusher in Cabelas parking lot,
extend the two slides and setup camp.

Does that count?

Wish we had more Natl Forrest and BLM land here in Texas. When I was stationed out west I went 3 years and never paid a dime to camp. Rarely camped in the same spots twice and always had amazing views.

I've done stealth camping a few times when I needed to catch a few winks of sleep and keep pushing on. I've never setup a whole spread and stayed there for long periods of time. Minimalist type stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it boils down to democratic or republican. Democrats think you will be killed for sleeping off the road. Republicans know if thay get caught sleeping of the road know one will shoot. I’m talking off the road a hundred plus feet not in the middle of the property. If I catch you sleeping under my tree with a motorcycle on the front forty I’ll wave back forty you gunu get a talking to. Just my opinions.

I think it boils down to democratic or republican. Democrats think you will be killed for sleeping off the road. Republicans know if thay get caught sleeping of the road know one will shoot. I’m talking off the road a hundred plus feet not in the middle of the property. If I catch you sleeping under my tree with a motorcycle on the front forty I’ll wave back forty you gunu get a talking to. Just my opinions.

Why does everything have to be seen through a political lens? Let's look at it through a shared common decency lens. If someone comes up to my house
and asks to stay on my property, or ride my bike, and I let them that's one thing. If someone takes it simply because they want to and think they can get away with it, that's theft. This is Andy Taylor to Opie level ethics regardless of how anyone votes. Don't use other people's stuff without asking.

Back