• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Stebel TM80 horn order & install

Reaction score
I'm ordering two pairs of Stebel's TM80s for installation in two Wee-stroms. From HornsPlus. Black or chrome. I recommend ordering the pair for full audible effect ("Holy Batman; what was that noise?!")

We thought a Horn Tech Day would be apropos (food and libation included) somewhere in the DFW area.

Anyone else want to add an order, let me know. Or install other horn in your V-strom during Horn Tech Day. V-stroms are non-discriminating for horns, but I recommend loud ones. ;-)

I already have a horn but I would be interested in helping. I am especially good at wiring relays. :mrgreen:

airhorn0802q.jpg

Hmmm, a second horn, hmmmm :trust:

Gilk51 said:
I already have a horn but I would be interested in helping. I am especially good at wiring relays. :mrgreen:

Sign Chuck up Elzi! :clap:

BTW, he works for BBQ:eat:

Well I ordered a Stebel ultra compact air horn for my Legend, Doubtful I'll make it to DFW to install, but y'all have a good time without me.

We were discussing the Stebel horns on the Kawi/Vulcan board. Don't forget to add a 20A fused power line direct from the battery for the power side of each relay. One guy wondered why the fused OEM line kept popping the fuse. They apparently draw 13-15A per horn. That's why they get attention. I'm waiting until after 1600 miles service today to get mine onto my bike.
Geez, if each horn is 135dB, do two of them put out 270dB? I know that dB is not measured linearly, but 200dB is a jet engine and even with ear plugs that might hurt anyone sitting on top of it. Ya'll be careful testing. Bell Tone hearing aids is always looking for new customers.
:-)

SirWilhelm said:
We were discussing the Stebel horns on the Kawi/Vulcan board. Don't forget to add a 20A fused power line direct from the battery for the power side of each relay. One guy wondered why the fused OEM line kept popping the fuse. They apparently draw 13-15A per horn. That's why they get attention. I'm waiting until after 1600 miles service today to get mine onto my bike.
Geez, if each horn is 135dB, do two of them put out 270dB? I know that dB is not measured linearly, but 200dB is a jet engine and even with ear plugs that might hurt anyone sitting on top of it. Ya'll be careful testing. Bell Tone hearing aids is always looking for new customers.

Good advice on the fused power line.

Yep, 135 dB is going to be loud. Actually, with two horns at 135, the total should be 138, using OSHA's exchange rate of 3dB. Other groups use 5dB as the exchange rate, but who's counting at that level! :giveup:

Elzi, remind me to bring a sound level meter to this shindig. It will be interesting to get some real world numbers after installation. :lol2:

Re: Stebel TM80 & compact air specs & voltmeter

You can check out the specs on their site:
http://www.stebel.it/stebel/index2006.htm
Click on 'Products', then the motorcycle, then the buttons above for 'TM
80 Series' and 'compact series'. Click on 'Tech info' button for specs.

Click on the button below the horn: 'TM 80/2'. You will hear
a sample of the two horns together: hi and lo.

Yes, relay is recommended.

Since I will eventually add a voltmeter and GPS, I was advised to install a switched power distribution bar.

Any good suggestions for a digital voltmeter?

Graubart said:
Elzi, remind me to bring a sound level meter to this shindig. It will be interesting to get some real world numbers after installation. :lol2:
That *would* be very interesting!
All bikes together now........ :eek2:

SirWilhelm said:
Geez, if each horn is 135dB, do two of them put out 270dB? I know that dB is not measured linearly, but 200dB is a jet engine and even with ear plugs that might hurt anyone sitting on top of it.
No they don't add, sorry - the scale is logarithmic - an increase of 10 dB is equivalent to 10 TIMES the sound level...

examples I have seen: 140-150 dB is a military jet engine
Instant perforation of eardrum - 160 dB

you probably wouldn't live to hear 200 dB :-P

I know with radio amplification it is logrhythmically with the increase in power. From 100W to 500W is so many dB and from 500w to 1000w is only one or two then to 1500w it not that much. Seems like from 100 to 1500 is only like 5-6 db. So I'd expect the same horns. If you have two at 135 it's 135 + 5%, not double. Although standing in front of two bikes with the same horns you might argue that. I'll be interested to see what the sound meter shows.
Cheers

I sent this to Sir Will in a PM, but other folks might benefit from Jay's (txbanditrydr) horn installation on his Bandit. Jay did a professional job and this article might give you some ideas for your own bike, look here

SirWilhelm said:
Although standing in front of two bikes with the same horns you might argue that. I'll be interested to see what the sound meter shows.
One place I checked had the "threshhold of pain" sound level at around 135 dB...

Say what?... :giveup:

Due to a recent event (crash, bent handlebar) I'm postponing the horn order until next week. So if anyone else wishes to combine an order from HornsPlus (Stebel compact air or TM80s), let me know. Perhaps we can get a price break with a combined order. Should also plan on relays, fuses, etc needed.

Then we can plan a Horn Tech Day, finishing with bbq and ice cream. :eat:

So we get four bikes in a circle, around a "loud pipes..." and see who yells uncle first.:giveup:

Lots of help on how to, now to just get a round tuit.
:zen:

Ciao, ya'll

Oh yea! Out into the heat, but ...I got mine installed despite it being 95 plus outside. It fits real nice where the stock one was (900LT). It was hung at the top middle of the radiator. And so is the Stebel.
Used the screw holding a wire bracket on the front of the frame under the right side of the tank for the relay. Used the original horn mounting point and the top support for the radiator for my support bar ends. I used a bar/plate from a 3 inch U-bolt, and drilled a hole off center for the honrn screw/lock washer and lock nut. Then put the bolt into the bracket on the horn, and it hangs in front of the radiator so nice. Had to bend the plate (twisted and a small flex) a bit to fit the two mounting points as they are not quite aligned with each other. Used stock screws and larger washer for the hole in the U-Bolt plate. And wired right to the positive terminal using 16G wire and 30Amp fuse (the relay is maked to use a 30Amp input, so that's what I installed. Used the screw down point for horn bracket for horn ground.
And then went for a ride. I was leaving the thruway and had a car blow thru the yield sign and then enter the thruway. So as we got even (her on the thruway and me off on access road) I hit a long burst on the horn. :trust:
She looked like she was about to jump out of that car to see who was blasting at her.:lol2:
IT WORKS SWEETLY! :sun:
With it in front of the screen for the radiator it is tilted slightly downward and being under the tank the sound is forward and yet is not too loud on the bike. I hit it for a short blurp when I got home and wife said it gets your attention.
Photos to follow as soon as I shrink them.
And figure out how to load them.
Always glad when a project comes together. :zen:
I don't know how you would mount two horns, but the effect would be interesting.

SirWilhelm said:
Photos to follow as soon as I shrink them.
And figure out how to load them.
Always glad when a project comes together. :zen:
If you get stuck, email them to me & I'll host them for you.

Congrats on the install. I put one on the wife's Aprilia scooter - she really needs it on her commute...

Thanks. I need to get them off the7HI and into Photoshop and shrunk.
I was really tickled at being able to use parts at hand. I didn't put silicone onto the leads at the horn or relay, but I am not a traveler so if it is too wet I am not out in it and that shouldn't be a problem. And it's easy enough to add later.
Gee if I change the leather bags to hard cases, and add a travelor one behind the sissy bar, this will look almost like a Wing..... Except no a/c, radio, radar, Satellite radio, coffee cup holder, cigar lighter......
Photos (grumble -- some are too big at 100k). I'll post them to Gilk.
Bracket needs to have hole offset so that bolt doesn't touch topof radiator. Otherwise an easy install. And it is loud.

Attachments

• completed-001.jpg
    completed-001.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 192
  • completed-002.jpg
    completed-002.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Must be the time of year - I just put in a pair of horns (Fiamm Freeway Blasters). They may not draw as much as the Stebel's but the relay I got (from Aerostich) was rated at 40A, so I used a single relay and hooked up both horns. I also added an accessory fuse block and wired the horn relay off of that instead of an inline fuse (there's a big one of those actually going to the fuse block), and used a second relay so that fuse block is switched off the ignition. The biggest amount of time was spent finding the place to put the horns, and futzing with bending hunks of metal in the vise and drilling holes until I could get them in without having to hack away at the bike. Still ended up taking a corner off the flare of one horn, but that was it.

You can probably get all the wiring stuff you need at your local autoparts shop or even Wal-mart. Just spend the night before staring at the wiring diagram and figure out what you'll need (and get a couple extras of everything). Heat-shrink tubing is good for the cluster of contacts on the relay, and automotive double-stick tape can let you stick that puppy anywhere. Don't forget cable ties, too.

Yeah, you'll just love it when you get a chance to use them :)

Back