• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Symtec grip heater install on V-Strom

10-95

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Several people wanted to see the install of some grip heaters and see how the lazy man’s method works. Here it is:

I bought Symtec grip heaters from California Sport Touring. $26.95, about $7 for a set of Grip Puppies to cover them. All in all about $40 delivered to my door. The kit has everything you need for a typical install. I opted for the rocker switch over a simple toggle. To get even heat I actually bought 2 sets. One for my bike where I’ll use the throttle side and another for the wife’s where I’ll use the clutch side of the grips. You can see an obvious difference in the clutch vs throttle sides.

gripheater1ov9.jpg

The infamous factory heater connector. Some folks have dismantled their Stroms to get at this plug. Mine was hanging loose with plenty of slack, just above the front cylinder.

connectorbp8.jpg

Installing everything means removing the bar ends. No big deal.

nobarendsvv3.jpg

I simply wrapped the Grip heater wrapped around grip. I don’t trust the glue and my bike was covered in a fine dust from some flooring material that I cut earlier so I taped it all down with electrical tape.

heaterwrapmg0.jpg

Slip the grip puppy over everything after liberally applying soapy water for lubrication.

grippuppylg2.jpg

What it looks like with the handguard reinstalled.

reinstalllj3.jpg

Now I’ve got to drill a 13/16 hole to accommodate my rocker switch. I hid it behind the dash as much as possible to protect it from water. Everything below has been sealed with electrical tape.

drillholewk8.jpg

Here’s a shot of the switch. I think it looks pretty good. Almost factory.

switchlocateqt3.jpg

Everything considered, this is a good (and cheap) investment. The grips get pretty warm on the LO setting and really warm on the HIGH setting. Plus it only took me about an hour to install them.

Be sure to leave enough slack at the grip so the wire does not bind when you rotate the grip back and forth. On many heated grips, that is a fatigue point from the wires being bent. Looks good.

Here's my 2am insomnia-driven reply post............. :yawn:

I taped the wires where they exit the mylar(sp?) covering. Hopefully that will cut down on the wear and tear from the throttle rotation. If you look close you can see the start of the ziptying (is that even a word?) process. I tied the throttle side to the throttle assembly, which on my bike is pointed up. I didn't need much slack in the wire to allow full rotation of the throttle.

And of course I ziptied everything under the fairing and along the body work to keep it out of the way and off hot or sharp objects and allow full turnstop to turnstop movement of the forks.

Wow, I'm impressed.
I think Santa's list just got two items longer...

do you have to wear really thin gloves to get the full benefit of the heaters? seems like thick winter gloves would block the heat from the grips? just curious..

OK, this looks good 'cause you don't have to replace the grips. :thumb:

What size grip puppies did you use?

Gixxer Geezer said:
do you have to wear really thin gloves to get the full benefit of the heaters? seems like thick winter gloves would block the heat from the grips? just curious..

You could probably still feel them on HI, but wearing heavy gloves would defeat the purpose of the heaters. I installed them because I like the "feel" with thinner gloves.

FWIW, I left on a break-in run on my work RT-P in 22F weather. I wore my Joe Rocket gaunlets which are leather with no insulation and small perforations between the fingers. The RT doesn't have handguards and I was fine. Tips of my fingers were a little cold but not bad at all.

Update................

I took my first extended ride today. Teknic jacket, JR overpants, JR gauntlets (unlined). Rainy and cool, road's as slick as owl ---, well you know. ;-) These things take a little while to heat up so I out them on HI and took off. 10min into my ride and my hands are HOT. Switch down to LO and they are much better. I don't think I'll be using the HI setting except to start them out and get them heated up quick. If I had it to do over again I think I'd double wrap the elements with electrical tape before mounting the Grip Puppies.

Now excuse me while I get some aloe for my palms. :doh:

I have Symtec cookers mounted conventionally on my bike and was wearing an average pair of TM leather gloves for my afternoon ride yesterday. I kept switching back and forth between the high and low settings on my 4 hour ride. After I got home and got all the gear off I kept noticing a little tenderness on the palms of my hands. I looked at them and realized that they had a nice little "sunburn" on each hand.

Like you said, the high setting is good for getting them started but I'll leave mine on low from now on!!

Gixxer Geezer said:

I have these same grip heaters mounted under my stock grips (Chuck you can get your stock grips off easily with compressed air and reuse them). I also have the suzuki hand guards. I usually wear my summer gloves 50 degrees and up on low setting, high is too hot. I also have insulated leather olympia riding gloves that I used yesterday. It was 28 degrees when I started the ride and I ran them on high. You can still feel it through the thick gloves and it was warm, almost to warm. I wore these gloves all day and ran them on low later on that day.

I find I almost always use my grip heaters everytime I ride below 70 degrees, it is a nice luxury.

Thank you (x 100) for your pictorial and annotated thread on this. After having to stop 7 miles from home at a convenience store yesterday morning, and literally unthaw my right fingers (they were numb), I am EAGER to get the heated grips on ASAP. Soon as my paycheck is deposited, I'm hitting the "Compete Order" button.

I have to question just how easy it was to get your Grip Puppies on even with 'soapy water' approach. That didn't work for me. :argh: :argh:

Thanks again.

TexasShadow said:
I have to question just how easy it was to get your Grip Puppies on even with 'soapy water' approach. That didn't work for me.

I don't know how easy it will be for you. I started them off by soaking them really good then I wiggled them back and forth until I got them started over the ridge on the edge of the grip. I have strong hands so I just cranked down on them and forced them on the grips. I think if you got on the opposite side of the bike and grasped them with both hands you should be able to pull them on with a two-handed grip. The mylar being lubed by the soap should make it doable.

10-95 said:
I don't know how easy it will be for you. I started them off by soaking them really good then I wiggled them back and forth until I got them started over the ridge on the edge of the grip. I have strong hands so I just cranked down on them and forced them on the grips. I think if you got on the opposite side of the bike and grasped them with both hands you should be able to pull them on with a two-handed grip. The mylar being lubed by the soap should make it doable.
I'll give it another try, but I'm skeptical. I really had a tough time getting them on, despite the soapy water advice.
A good thing no one else was around then (fuming with explatives)

So, if you put these on over the standard grips that would have a big impact on the diameter of the grips. I tried some larger grips once, but found with my small hands it caused hand cramps if I rode for extended periods. I guess I would have to go under the stock grip, or maybe just ride more to get used to it.
Just a thought for those who might be considering this. Thanks for the write up, all good information.

I have Symtec's, also. I replaced my grips, but did not insulate the clutch side. Actually, I just forgot to, but I found that the heat will even out after an hour or so of warming the bar. I used a toggle switch because I found a nifty black rubber toggle switch boot at Lowes that makes the switch rainproof and almost invisible against the black dash. I wear heavy gloves below 50 F or so and the heaters are still beneficial. I mostly stay on low, but will toggle to HI occasionally.

Don't forget to loosen, not unscrew, the bar end on the Strom before pulling it out. Recommend checking VSRI if you've not done that before.

Hijack: I rode home 60 miles after halftime of the Cowboy game Monday, I don't know what the temp was, probably about 40 F. I was fine, but I had on so many layers that I would be uncomfortable when stopped and taking a break would be a major undertaking. That's the best reason for electric heating: simplicity. I plan to add an electric Russell for LD work plus a vest...maybe some battery powered socks stashed away for emergency.

TexasTri said:
So, if you put these on over the standard grips that would have a big impact on the diameter of the grips. I tried some larger grips once, but found with my small hands it caused hand cramps if I rode for extended periods. I guess I would have to go under the stock grip, or maybe just ride more to get used to it.
I put the GripPuppies on the grips specifically to increase the diameter. The small grips were killing my hands and were awkward. The Symtecs are paper thin and won't add much to the diameter of the grips+pups at all.

After driving almost 1,000 miles this weekend in 50 degree or less weather, I am now in search of a heated hand-grip solution. I think I'll be going with this one. Thanks for the write-up.

I'm looking at it seriously, too.

10-95, after a few weeks, how is the setup holding up?

Pay close attention to which wire goes were on the back side of the switch. if you get them backwards your not getting all your heat on HI. don't ask how I know :argh:

I used the compressed air trick to get the grips off on the ST1300. Putting them on I put a drop of liquid soap inside, spread it around with my finger, and just slid them back on. straighten them up and leave over night and they don't move a bit in the morning.

I've used this trick when replacing numerous grips on my dirt bike, and a couple times on the VFR and now on the ST. works like a top.

just don't use oil. that doesn't ever quit sliding around. again, don't ask how I know this...

I'm trying to decide on the ATV or MC heated kit. I need all the heat I can get on my throttle hand. I don't want less.
Can the right and left be switched on the MC elements? I doubt I need all the wattage (and high heat) of the ATV kit, but I don't want less on the right than the left. *That's* the hand that gets numb!
You can practice your grip sliding mojo on my grip puppies when its time to put them back on, Nathan. :trust:
I seem to lack that mojo........

Gilk51 said:
I'm looking at it seriously, too.

10-95, after a few weeks, how is the setup holding up?

I've only done about 4oo miles since putting the grips on. They look like they will last. The only problem I've got is too much heat. HI is pretty friggin' hot, LO is good but I find myself switching them off and on. If I get industrious I'm gonna cut off the grip puppies and put some insulating tape over the heaters. Or maybe I'll hit up someone with a little more electrical knowledge. Maybe some type of resistor to cool them off a bit???

Another silly question:

Did the symtec wiring match up with the horn lead or did you have to splice it? Thanks.

I am using these on three bikes:

http://www.murphskits.com/heat.htm

Yes, you will most likely need to do some splicing or adding of connectors. The kits are generic for use on any bike.

I have 25K miles on the set on my ST, 30K miles on the set on my ZX11, and almost 5K on the set on the KLR with no failures or issues. Jsut nice warm hands on cool days. It is the best $35 bucks you can spend on your bikes.

I have these some heaters on the GPZ. YES, THEY GET HOT! I believe these are actually designed for snow mobiles. I put mine on last year and for the $20 I paid for them, it was money well spent.

Only one caution though. I wired mine into the main fuse box harness so they were “keyed” and could not be left on by accident and would be fused. After a year, my ignition switch crapped out. Took it apart and found that the grip heaters pulled so much current that it literally melted the solder on the wiring in the key switch.

So I replaced the key switch and installed a relay that is keyed and get the main power from the starter relay.

Back